I need your help with hevi shot order

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

I need your help with hevi shot order

Postby Los Banos » Mon May 22, 2006 9:09 pm

I am gonna be using benelli sbe2 this year with modified choke, getting ready to order a couple cases of hevi shot, what size should i buy for ducks? I was thinking 3 1/2 #4's? and for geese what should i get? thanks for your help
Los Banos
Los Banos
hunter

Postby Humboldt Scaup » Mon May 22, 2006 9:54 pm

For hevishot I usually use 6s or 4s for ducks and 2s for geese. I shoot mostly aleutians but i think the 2s will be fine. If youre pass shooting a lot and going for big ducks most of the time i'd go with the 4s.
The ducks are right there. Where? Right there. Where? OHHHH they're right there.

I think the ducks will be better off flying straight.
Humboldt Scaup
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Mon May 22, 2006 11:32 pm

I prefer 4s, 6s would probably be good if 99% of your shooting is "in your face"

I shoot Bismuth BBs for geese, we get big honkers. 2s also work good but they`d be my 2nd choice.
dukaddict
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Tue May 23, 2006 8:56 am

I'd save the money on the 3.5" shells and shoot regular 3" if it were me--especially if you're going to be shooting hevi.

I have said this here numerous times, so if you have read it, bear with me. When lead was legal, we would shoot ducks with 410's and kill them. Granted we're hunting out in flooded timber and shooting working ducks in your face, but none the less, it was with a 410.

3.5", in my own opinion, is absolute over kill for ducks.

I'd probably go with the 6's if it were me personally as I like to take my shots within 20 yards. Then again, I just shoot regular steel; 2's and 4's.

Ultimately, it's up to you and how you shoot that is going to decide what you need to buy.

Good luck.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Return to California Duck Hunting