duck hunting in the delta

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

duck hunting in the delta

Postby Mallard Man » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:35 pm

How was it, wat kind of birds and any other information would be nice thatnks alot.
Mallard Man
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:31 am

Hmm. People are holding out on you.

It's kind of a pain for me to hunt there. There are places to hunt but the big issue is access and then there are some jerks that think they own the place with some armed with more than shotguns. It reminds me of a mini-San Luis during the dark days.

Secondly by the time you figure out where the birds are - they're gone. Then the guys that leave blinds out always leave their dekes out - and the seagulls crap on them all day. So by the end of the season all the duck decoys look like miniature snow dekes. That sure brings them in.... not.

There is usually some Wash Basin with a broken engine floating by with some guy yelling at his wife at the top of his lungs in some unknown language - just about the time a duck shows up. Then he yells even louder because he's never seen a duck in this country. He gets so excited by it he drops anchor 20 feet away from your decoys - to fish and hopefully get a look at another duck. Kiss the day goodbye - because he ain't leavin'... and he will keep virtually every fish he catches no matter what size it is.

Can you get ducks there? Sure... is it worth the frustration? I personally don't think so.

Given the choice I would rather go spend the day elsewhere. So I do...
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:52 am

:toofunny: that is funny slow.

by the time you figure out where the birds are - they're gone

sounds like Bass fishin there. I have only talked to a few guys that hunt the Delta regularly. mostly pass shooting. I am sure that some guys are dialed in there, but i don't know any of them. There are a lot of ducks that hang around out there, so someone must be whackin em.

I think #1wingnut hunts out there some? I don't know, he has been MIA.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Mallard Man » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:45 pm

thanks for the info ya it sounds wonderful....... NOT, no im gonna give it a try my buddies hunt there all year so they kno where to go
Mallard Man
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:36 pm

sent ya a pm, don't let em fool ya! :toofunny:
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:57 am

ACEBLDRS wrote::toofunny: that is funny slow.

by the time you figure out where the birds are - they're gone

sounds like Bass fishin there. I have only talked to a few guys that hunt the Delta regularly. mostly pass shooting. I am sure that some guys are dialed in there, but i don't know any of them. There are a lot of ducks that hang around out there, so someone must be whackin em.

I'm out there on Franks Tract last weekend as my buddy took me out fishing. I don't get diddly. Awhile later we're back on the dock after breakfast and Daniel is goofing off on with pole. He says "I'm going to catch a fish. I can feel it in my bones..." He throws in a line and a few seconds later pulls out a largemouth bass.

Maybe I don't like the delta because virtually everyone else out there either gets the fish or the birds and all I get is indigestion.

That said I was pretty proud of the little guy. He's caught more fish in the past year than I have in 5. The kid is a gill magnet.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Russell » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:27 pm

The delta (in the sloughs) ain't what it used to be in some of the historic locations, and it has become a lot of pass shooting depending on where you are. Most of the islands are lightly hunted (some not at all) and are now huge closed zones.

So...although the times are quite a bit more challenging there....it still has it's moments...it's just not as consistent and it takes a LOT longer and MUCH more time to figure out a decent spot.

All the stuff slow mentioned about the wash basin types is true, plus the occassional stubborn bass-hole in your dekes.
Just goes with the territory. :cool:
Russell
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:16 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote::

Josh,
Sorry guys, works really been keepin me bissy. I've been around just aint
posted much lately. I've have been checkin in to make sure everyone is behavin.

And NO there arnt ANY ducks in the delta. better give the grasslands a try :mrgreen:
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:54 pm

I was out with my Dad running the Delta Friday and Saturday doing a little bass fishin. There were quite a few broods swimming around, not as much as i was hopping to see. Also still a lot of Mallards chasing a few hens around up in the air. Looks like there are still some hatching to be done.

saw a few honks, not a ton though.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby callinfowl » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:19 am

The delta sucks I wouldn't even bother,
Unless your last name ends with a vowel ,or you have family connections. :eek:
( Not that I know anything about that place.) :mrgreen:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Return to California Duck Hunting