Bike Trailer

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Bike Trailer

Postby Schmooter » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:25 pm

I was just curious if anyone has made their own trailer that mounts to a bike. I am thinking about rigging one up this year.(too much junk to carry out to the blind.) I am a little stuck on what kind of wheels would work best in the mud. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Or if you know where I could buy one. Thanks
Schmooter
hunter

Postby randy marci » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:51 pm

go to garage sales and find yourself a kid trailer. they work great.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby Schmooter » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:43 pm

WELL, I'm not sure that will work. BUT THANKS ANYWAY
Last edited by Schmooter on Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schmooter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:27 pm

You might wish to try this link. The info could give you some pretty good ideas.

A "kid" trailer should not be overlooked however, as some makes/models have stood quite the punishment over the years.

Anyways..the link: http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:42 pm

scmooter. I built one last year. converted my homemade decoy cart to a cart that went behind my bike. It was more work than walking it i think. :hammering: I need to work out the kinks, but probably won't bother.

My cart was way to heavy. I'll try to dig up a pic for you.

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:45 pm

found it.

As you can see, i used wheel barrell tires for my cart. I like them, except for how heavy they are. I used them because i was worried about bike style tires sinking in the levie mud. Well, instead of that, they caked up with mud. Not so bad at some refuges like san luis. But banos has some mucky leavies and they packed up pretty bad.

I made my own hitch, it worked so so. I bent 3/4 elect conduit. I might be able to take some pics of the hitch parts for you if your interested. I like the hitch idea i had, but everything else is just tooooooo heavy.

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby randy marci » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:54 am

cool, i'm glad you know the kid trailer don't work....so next time you need help, think about what your asking. "what kind of wheels work best in the mud" well if you want it hooked to a bike....how about bike tires. if the bike tires work on the bike with you on it why won't they work on a cart with gear in it? just trying to help man, i'm sure you haven't seen all the kid trailers out there. there are some all plastic open ones that are perfect for what you are trying to do. good luck :thumbsup:
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:04 am

randy marci wrote: if the bike tires work on the bike with you on it why won't they work on a cart with gear in it? :

Randy, that logic completly exscaped me. :help: I tend to overthink sometimes. :mrgreen:

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:56 am

The kid trailers work great if you can find one at a garage sale. Otherwise they are overpriced. Personally I think they are priced high just so parents feel more secure about tucking their tykes in 'em. I've been haunting yard sales all summer to find one, as a buddy wants to do a conversion for his gear.

Last year I wanted to hook up my Mag Hauler to my bike. The coolest and most inexpensive hitch design I was able to find was at this guy's now defunct site. Unfortunately, he lost his shop in katrina just before I ordered it...

http://traileron.com/index.html

If you look at his hitch it doesn't look like it would be that hard to replicate. Drill out some pipe or square tubing in a couple of places. Get some bungee cords, a cross bolt, and o-rings to set it on the seat post then you'd be good to go.

I'll try to get a version of the hitch done in the next couple of weeks. If I can figure out how to do it in the most cost effective way possible - I'll post up the results.

With any luck I'll be a towing fool come the season.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Schmooter » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:10 am

Randy, you are right. I am very unfamiliar with the kid trailers there are out there. Good call on the bike tires also. Thanks
Schmooter
hunter

Postby Schmooter » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:28 pm

ACEBLDRS, that is more or less what I was looking to do. Thanks for the pic. That frame looks pretty heavy. I think 2 wheels instead of 4 is the way to go, that is why I originally rejected the kid trailer idea.

Trois_beaux_canards : great link. thanks
Schmooter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:30 pm

i'll post some pics of the frame when i have time to take some. The hitch is the best idea i have had in a long time. that's not saying much. lol.

josh

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby PinTeal » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:50 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote:
randy marci wrote: if the bike tires work on the bike with you on it why won't they work on a cart with gear in it? :

Randy, that logic completly exscaped me. :help: I tend to overthink sometimes. :mrgreen:

Or...under think in this case :cool:
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby worknem » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:00 pm

About the same as bikesatwork but maybe worth a look for ideas.

paddlecart.com
northwoods.canoe.com

Found these while on a search for the ultimate cart / sled / layout / boat combo.

Slow; you'll get a kick out of this. 2 years of looking and the super mag hauler still won out. The rest of the rig fits perfect, just like the KL.

Good luck on your search and building Schmooter.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:38 am

My mag hauler and that sled was one the best pieces of equipment from last year.

The KL sled is just the best for floating kids and gear out to the blind.

This year I'm going to try to rig up a couple of bars/blades to to scrape mud off the tires as they rotate. There just aren't tires big enough to handle being pulled through the sticky mud after a fresh rain - or hande the long term goop. It all climbs the wheels of every cart I've seen..

Had I the skill to make my own cart I probably would have tried it. But I'm as handy as a quadruple amputee.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:34 pm

Had I the skill to make my own cart I probably would have tried it. But I'm as handy as a quadruple amputee.[/quote]

Wow, you must be a horrible shot in the field. :umm: :toofunny:
Mattquack
hunter

trailer

Postby hntndux » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:15 pm

Hey wheres the motor on that puppy?
hntndux
hunter

Postby thedckstpshere » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:31 pm

Just have a kid, or find a neighbor kid that wants to go out with you. Then make him carry all the gear.
thedckstpshere
hunter

Postby stalns » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:59 am

ACEBLDRS wrote:found it.

josh

Josh,

Where do you put the license plates.... How did it pass smog????
Shoot Straight!!!

Gary Stalions
stalns
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:55 pm

stalns wrote:
ACEBLDRS wrote:found it.

josh

Josh,

Where do you put the license plates.... How did it pass smog????

man gary, i'm taking a beating with you today. :toofunny:

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Return to California Duck Hunting