Prelim Numbers 2006 - wow!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Postby DuckFan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:55 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I liked the 32 percent increase on pintail over last year's numbers!

Gaddies were up 30%

GW Teal were up 20%

BW Teal were up 28%

Redheads were up 55% (oh my)

Cans were up 33%

Mallard were up 8%

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/repor ... t%20bw.pdf

I know this is prelim year over year data, and not all regions included, but this is good stuff.
DuckFan
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:13 pm

Yeah Duckfan, i was happy to see the numbers also. Prelim or not. I'll take good new about ducks anytime.

a lot of water went a LONG way this year. :thumbsup:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:11 am

If I remember correctly last year there was was an increase in Gadwalls. In the field I didn't notice any more than usual though.

I sure hope that the increased numbers translates to accessible birds in the air - and a better limit...

If I just keep chanting " two pins two pins" over and over do you think it would help?

:yes:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:51 pm

I am at work, so I cannot open the link. Are these numbers in the Pac flyway, Ca, or the entire continent??

Jeff
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby Mattquack » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:02 pm

I sure noticed a difference in gadwall in the field last season. That's mostly what I shot at delevan and sac.
Mattquack
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:54 am

PinTeal wrote:I am at work, so I cannot open the link. Are these numbers in the Pac flyway, Ca, or the entire continent??

Jeff

Just saw yoru note Jeff...... so you probably already saw the info at home. But, if not - the data is not specific to our state or flyway. This is the USFWS and Canada's study - takes up just about all areas they survey each year.
DuckFan
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:09 am

Yessir, I was able to open it at home. I'd be curious as to what our hatch was in the state and what the flyway out look is. Anyone with that information?

Thanks!

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby DuckFan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:15 pm

Glad you got the info at homeā€¦.

Just and FYI: My understanding is that things for us looked good, but Dan Y ( DFG) had not received the data in time to analyze it before the meeting as I understand it. That is typical of the June meeting date each year.

I am sure we look real good based on all the observations all over the state.

It should be a fun season and I hope the weather cooperates for all of us during the season.
DuckFan
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:02 am

wanted to say hi to you guys. I've hunted Los Banos hunted 30 yrs. I'm an ol'e timer now. Moved up here to AK in '04 and looks like I missed the 2 most wettest winters on record. In the March/April issue of the Grasslands Wetlands newsletter from Los Banos had words I haven't seen since the mid '70's like 5 million birds state wide at the end of the season. WoW! what a rebound of what excellent habitat has done with all your rain. They did the annual mid winter servey and covered more than 7,200 miles.

I was talking to someone that said it rained 34 straight days in Concord, last year? that is so unreal.

wanted to get back home so bad last fall but couldn't. Come mid Nov. I'll get to come back home for the first time and hunt all the way through. It will be so great to be back in the tule blind. My home away from home during winter for so many yrs. Dang I can't wait. Stay cool.....If any of you guys are coming to alaska this july to fish for kings on the Kenai, I'll take a few of you out if any of you are going to be up here. Our duck season starts sept 1st.

Peace thru strength...God bless our brave young kids.
Last edited by foggyhunt on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby grnheadhuntr » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:55 pm

I am a true duckoholic. last season my partners and I killed 668 ducks and hunted as much as we could handle. I put 75 out of 100 days into my passion for waterfowl. I hunt in the los banos area at a number of different refuges. i know many club hunters in the area that had no success last year and would watch my friends and bring back limits everyday. I cant wait till the season is here and hope you all have excellent years. Last year i learned to go were the ducks want to be. The previous years i hunted 1 0r 2 blinds all season. Last year i found 100s of spots and wrote them all down in my duck log as well. I encourage all of you to go the extra mile and find that spot were the greenheads pour out of the sky. 246 Mallards last year between 3 guys cant beat it. good luck to all next season. 94 DAYS away
grnheadhuntr
hunter

Postby worknem » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:21 pm

foggyhunt wrote:I was talking to someone that said it rained 34 straight days in Concord, last year? that is so unreal.

Peace thru strength...God bless our brave young kids.

Grizzly and all it's Units with the exception of Island Slough were closed from 12/31 on. Island Slough H20 got down enough to open the last 5 shootdays. I was working over New Years (commute was a nightmare with I80 and anything else with an 80 in it being parking lots.) The guys that were hunting Griz when the evacation took place said they had to come out with H20 above thier doorjams. The south end of the Chadborne area is still under water, looks like a good sized lake from afar. Good for nesting but we're all paying for the mosquito abatement.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby stalns » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:04 pm

foggyhunt wrote:wanted to say hi to you guys. I hunted CA 30 yrs...

Thanks for checking in. :thumbsup:

We got lots of water alright! Though most of it after the season.

Check in anytime and let us know how you are doing up there and when you are coming down...
Shoot Straight!!!

Gary Stalions
stalns
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:29 am

slowshooter wrote:If I remember correctly last year there was was an increase in Gadwalls. In the field I didn't notice any more than usual though.

I sure hope that the increased numbers translates to accessible birds in the air - and a better limit...

If I just keep chanting " two pins two pins" over and over do you think it would help?

:yes:

Man I hunted the openner up at tule last yearit was a freak'in gadwall fest.
I have never seen so many gray's in one place ever.
Although I bet we shot less then 10 between the three of us in the river last year. I don't know where they ended up but it was like a gaddy orgy
up at Tule last year.

Speaking of orgy's cowgirls was pretty fun as well, just ask George. :toofunny:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby speczilla » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:16 pm

those gaddy's were hanging out at sac/delevan/colusa last year. I shot more of em last year than the past 3 combined...
speczilla
hunter

pins

Postby goosecaller dude » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:33 pm

talked with the biologist for the k.falls area he said that the feed they have planted in the klamath basin is mainly for the pins now he also said that 25% or so of the pins stay in the basin to the valley till they fly back north to breed. you need to remember that we were okd by the feds last yr to up they pintail take but CWA and Du told the state if they upd the take this food plot project would not have happened. everyone says dam had pins in my dekes and couldn't shoot, just remember the days when all we took was full straps of pins and with all this working we might again.
remember only shoot color let the ladies fly! :salude:
goosecaller dude
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting