dove around the corner

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

dove around the corner

Postby EXTREMA » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:09 pm

i went to llano seco refuge last two seasons. did okay but it was hot!

anyone know of a good public place to hunt dove in yolo,sutter or solano counties?
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:20 pm

I dont know about public dove hunting. but I have see more dove the last month or so than I have in years. It should be a GREAT dove season. :thumbsup:

Oh ya... FYI Its hot EVERYWERE Sept. 1 :umm:
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby Duckbud » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:53 pm

I was up at Lake Amador over the weekend (way too skinkin hot to fish) and dove were all over the place. Also seen lots of turkey.

Extrema, I spoke to Ben Gordon last Friday and he said a couple of guys are probably gettin out of their blind. Apparently, they're fairly new hunters and didn't do as good as they thought they would. Ben couldn't understand it since it's supposed to be a better blind than even mine; I shot a 4.5 avg. last season. He's back from Montana now, so it's worth giving him a call. :thumbsup:
Duckbud
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:14 pm

thanks for the heads-up! :thumbsup:
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Los Banos » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:27 am

any place in monterey county?
Los Banos
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:04 pm

Hell, I remember last pre-season seeing tons of dove around. Hell, I remember seeing them the last day of duck season EVERYWHERE. Went out that opener before school and saw one dove. This was on private property near sutter in the saflower and sunflower fields. Moral of story, they too seem to know when the opener is :pissed:

Now that I am back down here in Suck-Cali, I gotta find me a new spot. Maybe I'll hit up Roger for his Super-Secret spots a little further north ;)

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby Mattquack » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:31 pm

OH yeah, they do know when the opener is. It's like a plague of doves in citrus heights. You've gotta drive with your wipers on just to clear out of the way. :laughing:

You know, it's just like anything though. I took the kids down to the american river and went for a little wade. Within 5 minutes, 14 mallards had flown over to us, and where within a few yards of us looking for a handout. You know if it were duck season, they'd be ghosts.
Mattquack
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:09 pm

Hey Mattquack,

I am glad you said that. I too have been seeing a plague of doves lately. I'm down the street in O'Vale, and they are now lining up 8-12 in a row on the power line behind my back yard. Nornally it's 1-2 in a row. TONS of them. Too bad they are nowhere near anything huntable.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:46 pm

I been workin out at rancho seco for the last couple weeks
and they are thick out in the grapes. typically we get a cold front the last
week of Aug. and most of em will move to Fresno :pissed:

Dan
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby Los Banos » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:50 am

WHATS THE TIMELINE ON DOVE SEASON THIS YEAR
Los Banos
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:49 am

duckjumper wrote:Hey Mattquack,

I am glad you said that. I too have been seeing a plague of doves lately. I'm down the street in O'Vale, and they are now lining up 8-12 in a row on the power line behind my back yard. Nornally it's 1-2 in a row. TONS of them. Too bad they are nowhere near anything huntable.

It's crazy this year, isn't it... Are you still wanting to get together for hunt when duck season rolls around? I'll be putting in a season long resi app for Sac and Delevan, so I'll keep you in mind if I get drawn.

Matt.
Mattquack
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:47 pm

ya, definitely. I haven't decided which resi apps I will submit yet. But Delevan will definitely be one of them. I'll also be doing Golden Ram for the first time this year.

Meanwhile, looking for a spot to shoot some doves. I am thinking somewhere along the Feather River...

dj
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Dove Opener

Postby Spoony » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:05 pm

My buddy got too excitted, (could not wait for the mail to come in) He called the DFG and told me that me and my buddy got drawn for Salt slough. I haven't hunted there in a few years. I have done pretty well there in the past. :thumbsup:
Spoony
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting