specks....

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

specks....

Postby EXTREMA » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:15 pm

i hear we might be able to shoot a proposed 4 specks this year. has anyone heard this rumor?

if it does pass just imagine

a limit of ducks (greenheads)
3 snows
4 specks

thats alot of weight to carry back in!! :eek:
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:11 pm

That sounds goofy...Why 4 specks and only 3 snows (one less than last season)? Wragell Island goose counts were up this spring from 115,000 to 130,000 - 150,000. The target population is 120,000. I would expect more snows on the strap before the specks.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby EXTREMA » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:05 am

i'm not sure on snows. if you did get 4 darks i expect you can only bag less of the whites.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby spraynpray » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:16 am

That's great 4 specks. To bad I'm in the stupid tule goose zone, so when all the specks are around I don't get to shoot them, and who cares about the snow goose limit it's not like someone would be stupid enough to go set up 700 Silo socks in some muddy rice field just to shoot a limit of them things. :yes:
spraynpray
hunter

Re: specks....

Postby DuckFan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:04 pm

EXTREMA wrote:i hear we might be able to shoot a proposed 4 specks this year. has anyone heard this rumor?

if it does pass just imagine

a limit of ducks (greenheads)
3 snows
4 specks

thats alot of weight to carry back in!! :eek:

The limit last year was 4 total. I expect the same total goose bag limit as last year (IMO).

Last year the 4 geese could include up to 3 specks (or you could get 4 snows/ross). It would be great to see that change and allow up to 4, but not sure that will be the way the commission goes.

But, I expect to see the same goose bag limits this season - 4 total and up to 3 of them as Specks.

And, of course, I beleve there will still be the Special Speck Closure area around the Sac valley...I don't see that chaging anytime soon.

Another few weeks and we will know for sure. :thumbsup:
DuckFan
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:08 pm

I heard the rumor from my cousin who always check the regs early. 4 specks total and i'm not sure if that included all dark geese. It might raise the total goose limit but he didn't say.

I used to hunt the tule goose/special zone and watch specks land next to me all day in the fog and wish i could pop one. Saw a few cacklers i could have popped too. Now when i hunt the open zones i take out my old aggressions!! Of course in the open zones they hardly ever get close and i have yet to see a honker or cackler.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:38 pm

I heard 4 specks too. Won't really effect me. I never shot 3 in the same day! This year might change though!

and who cares about the snow goose limit it's not like someone would be stupid enough to go set up 700 Silo socks in some muddy rice field just to shoot a limit of them things.

Jeff did you hear what he thinks about you!!! :toofunny:
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:14 pm

EXTREMA wrote:I used to hunt the tule goose/special zone and watch specks land next to me all day in the fog and wish i could pop one. Saw a few cacklers i could have popped too. Now when i hunt the open zones i take out my old aggressions!! Of course in the open zones they hardly ever get close and i have yet to see a honker or cackler.

You can say that again...I've been in the same situation more than I care to mention :smile:
DuckFan
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:40 pm

hunt Chessies wrote:I heard 4 specks too. Won't really effect me. I never shot 3 in the same day! This year might change though!

and who cares about the snow goose limit it's not like someone would be stupid enough to go set up 700 Silo socks in some muddy rice field just to shoot a limit of them things.

Jeff did you hear what he thinks about you!!! :toofunny:

Little do you guys know...he sat in a muddy field with me trying to shoot those stupid things ;) That day we passed on all our shots :(

We'll have to do it again John!

BTW, Ryan, catching any salmon??

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

specks

Postby BrokenWing » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:52 pm

That's great news on the specks :getdown: but how about the sprig? Do we get more of them.
BrokenWing
hunter

Re: specks

Postby speczilla » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:29 am

BrokenWing wrote:That's great news on the specks :getdown: but how about the sprig? Do we get more of them.

Nope - 1 again.
speczilla
hunter

Postby worknem » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:53 pm

I haven't done any research but, as far back as I can remember (65/6 or so) we've never had more than a 3 bird limit on Specks here in CA. Last season when the bag got back to 3 for the BOS after many years it said a lot for the population overall. 4 of em, whatever the mix for the combined limit, is amazing. They are in the State for pretty much all of the season and widely dispersed so it will be interesting to see what impact "take" has on them next year if this comes to be.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby worknem » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:01 pm

Forgot to add. The highest combined limit for geese I can recall has been 6. It was at that number for quite a few years. With the high number of Snows using the State these days it may just be possible to see 6 total again.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:15 pm

6 geese would be a nice thanksgiving feast!
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:14 pm

Jeff, We have been catching a few but in the ocean. Haven't fished the rivers here in 2 months. Been fishing the bay/ocean 2-3 times a week for mostly butts, stripers and cod.

Next week its tuna time!!! I can't wait!

Jeff you still never told me the story of that striper you nailed.
hunt Chessies
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting