Band Reports

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, duckman2000

Re: Band Reports

Postby rm85 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Bacca lake Oregon is where it was banded hatched 2007 or earlier
rm85
hunter

Re: Band Reports spooney

Postby ericwjennings » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Miggs wrote:Got One couldnt believe what I saw at first but it was there on her leg.Hen northern shoveler with a band put on her 07-16-2013 Millard County Utah.Shoot the Spoonies ther banded!!!The birds are coming down got her this weekend near the kern refuge on saturday Dec 7th 2013.

That's awesome! Pretty rare to shoot a banded spoony! In 2011 I banded pintail on the Sac Complex, and since we were catching other ducks in our rocket nets as well, we banded 25-ish Northern shovelers and 30-ish green wing teal.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby Miggs » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:01 pm

ericwjennings wrote:
Miggs wrote:Got One couldnt believe what I saw at first but it was there on her leg.Hen northern shoveler with a band put on her 07-16-2013 Millard County Utah.Shoot the Spoonies ther banded!!!The birds are coming down got her this weekend near the kern refuge on saturday Dec 7th 2013.

That's awesome! Pretty rare to shoot a banded spoony! In 2011 I banded pintail on the Sac Complex, and since we were catching other ducks in our rocket nets as well, we banded 25-ish Northern shovelers and 30-ish green wing teal.

I know pretty rare im still stoked thats number 8 for the lanyard.shot a red head last year and the band was so worn out that i could only get 4 numbers off of it.This morning i gave it to a freind that works at the local police station he said that he will do a CSI on it to get the rest of the numbers.Cant wait i will post it here got to be real old! Can you volunteer for that banding program that sounds like fun.
Miggs
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Miggs wrote:
ericwjennings wrote:

I know pretty rare im still stoked thats number 8 for the lanyard.shot a red head last year and the band was so worn out that i could only get 4 numbers off of it.This morning i gave it to a freind that works at the local police station he said that he will do a CSI on it to get the rest of the numbers.Cant wait i will post it here got to be real old! Can you volunteer for that banding program that sounds like fun.

That was when I worked for the California Department of Fish and Game. We banded around 980 pintail there that year in September and October. Not sure if the USFWS does any volunteer stuff with their own banding program or not.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby FowlChase » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:25 pm

rm85 wrote:Mallard was banded aug 4 2008 in orgeon shot dec 7 2013 Stockton ca delta

Thanks for the feedback rm85. :thumbsup:
FowlChase
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:46 am

First band! Drake Mallard banded August 8th, 2013 in Lyon County, Nevada. Shot it out in the Delta December 14th :smile:
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby FowlChase » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Hey Bernie. Did you get any info back on that banded speck? Any banded can's pop up in the central valley yet? Keep those reports coming fellas and good hunting to you all.
FowlChase
hunter

Postby tylers1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:06 pm

Drake Mallard banded August 2013 in Stillwater Nevada. Shot December 26th in Central California
tylers1
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:19 pm

shot a banded ross 1/3/14

banded Date 08/10/2010
Species ROSS'S GOOSE
Age HATCHED IN 2009 OR EARLIER
Sex MALE
Location SIMPSON RIVER, NUNAVUT, CANADA
Attachments
20140103_115504.jpeg
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby FowlChase » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Hen Mallard banded in 2010 at Whitman Lumber Yard near Coeur d'Alene Idaho. harvested in Lake Co. Oregon 2014. We finally got an influx of new migrators this last week and today was the last day of duck season. :crying: Good hunts to all you Cal hunters and youth hunters the next couple weeks.
FowlChase
hunter

Postby Csook » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:15 pm

Shot a banded drake Cinnamon Teal out of blind 5 at Delevan on Saturday. It was banded in early July at Sacramento. So it's spent the last 6 months in that area. It was hatched 2012 or earlier
Csook
hunter

Postby berdnird » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm really curious as to what people think is the ratio for shooting banded birds versus non-jewelry birds. I know it really has a lot to do with where you are hunting and what types of birds you are shooting, but for those of you who have hunted for 10, 20, or 30+ seasons, what do you think the ratio is? I've only been hunting for 5 or 6 seasons and have probably shot about 300 birds without ever finding a band. I've shot a fair amount of every type of goose and duck. So what do you think a very generalized ratio would be for banded birds to non-banded. I would guess something like 1:500.
berdnird
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Csook wrote:Shot a banded drake Cinnamon Teal out of blind 5 at Delevan on Saturday. It was banded in early July at Sacramento. So it's spent the last 6 months in that area. It was hatched 2012 or earlier

Very cool. Congrats :thumbsup:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:30 pm

berdnird wrote:I'm really curious as to what people think is the ratio for shooting banded birds versus non-jewelry birds. I know it really has a lot to do with where you are hunting and what types of birds you are shooting, but for those of you who have hunted for 10, 20, or 30+ seasons, what do you think the ratio is? I've only been hunting for 5 or 6 seasons and have probably shot about 300 birds without ever finding a band. I've shot a fair amount of every type of goose and duck. So what do you think a very generalized ratio would be for banded birds to non-banded. I would guess something like 1:500.

I just think it varies... I know guys who have hunted for 20+ years without getting a band. Not that it matters, the birds taste the same without them. I think it is a variable of location + luck + perseverance. I've been Fairly lucky having 2 goose bands within the last 15 geese I've shot. But haven't killed a duck band in years. But have had 2 duck bands taken by buddies who I was hunting with the past two years.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Csook » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks! :beer:
As for a ratio, I have no idea. All I do know is it as all about pure luck. I am now 20 and have been hunting since I was ten and have shot three or four (1 band is still arguable about who shot it between me and my brother). My dad however who has been hunting for lets say close to 30 seasons has only shot three in his life. My younger brother who is on his third or fourth season has still yet to shoot one. So it is all just pure luck. some are lucky and some are not. I have been fortunate I have shot a band two seasons in a row.
Csook
hunter

Postby quakquakboom » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:15 pm

2 honker bands one 8 years old and one 7. one from las vagas and one from Vacaville ca my first goose bands shot them in 2 different locations
quakquakboom
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:53 pm

My dads 58 and has been duck hunting since he was 12 and has shot ZERO bands. Im 19 been hunting since I was 11 and have shot 2 banded birds. Both in the same season and exactly 30 days appart from each other. One was a green head banded in sac estimated to be 9 years or older and the 2nd was a greenwing teal banded in cumberland canada and was to young to fly so he was only 1 year old when I shot him.
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby FowlChase » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Alright all you youth hunters and late season goose hunters. Post'm up!!
FowlChase
hunter

Postby aceshooter31 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Got my second band on Saturday of the youth hunt weekend, drake mallard. Also shot a band last year on the youth hunt weekend that was a hen mallardImageImage that's the info on the first and second band I shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aceshooter31
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting