Anyone here from California??

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Anyone here from California??

Postby Silent Stalker » Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:50 am

Hey Everyone, i'm pretty new to the boards here
anyone here from california or more specifically hunt the Los Banos or Sacramento Area's??
Off thru the new days mist I run, off thru the new days mist I come! I hunt there for I am, harvest the land taking of the fallen lamb!

Seek The Wolf In Thy Self!!!!
Silent Stalker
Newb

Postby sandman » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:32 am

HEY i'M FROM THE LOS BANOS AREA,I'V HAD ALOT OF GREAT HUNTS IN THIS AREA ESPECIALY FOR MALLARDS, I'M ONLY 19 AND HUNT FOR LIMITS OF GREEN,I'V BEEN IN THE WORLD DUCK CALLING CONTEST AND LIVE TO HUNT,OVER 6 YEARS I HAVE COLLECTED 12 DUCK BANDS AND 1 HONKER BAND.
sandman
Newb

Postby DuckFan » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:39 pm

Hi guys, new to the site and live in Pleasanton - Hunt the grasslands and Sac valley
DuckFan
hunter

Postby DUCKFREAK » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:01 pm

HEY GUYS ! NEW TOI THE FORUM ! FROM FRESNO CA ! HUNT MENDOTA AREA AND SURROUNDINGS !
DUCKFREAK
Newb

Postby ollybama » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:58 pm

hey i'm in fresno just started duck hunting last year. late start for an old guy like to hear about hunting in the area
ollybama
hunter

Postby ihuntducks » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:40 am

Hey everybody from Cali.... I live in San Diego. I hunt at the Salton Sea and the Colorado River.... Hurry up duck season........
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Postby DUCKYOUNGSTER » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:40 pm

HEY GUYS IM ONLY 18 AND LIVE IN THE HIGH DESERT I DO A LOT OF RIVER BOTTOM HUNTING IN THE MOJAVE RIVER AND IN POT HOLE LAKES OFF OF THE COLORADO RIVER.
DUCKYOUNGSTER
Newb

Postby duckiller » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:08 pm

Hey guys!

I hunt the Los Banos area quite a bit. We did pretty well last year in the Salt Slough area, as well as Gadwall. I hope to hunt San Luis more this season, as people tell me it's the best spot around.

I also have recently acquired a 12 ft jon boat that i'm building a blind for. I see a lot of guys hunting the Freitas unit with boats. One plus, is that it's open 7 days a week for hunting. Has anyone ever hunted this area before? How about the Mendota Slough with a boat?
Brown dogs are best.
duckiller
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:02 pm

I live in socal and drive all over the state to hunt. Know Mendotta like the back of my hand. I plan to start hunting more in the sacramento area. I've heard Los Banos is good but the SAC NWR is tops?
tstrong
hunter

Postby duckiller » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:26 am

I have a buddy that hunts SAC. He tells me it's much better than Banos. I've never been before. I'm hoping he'll take me this season.
Brown dogs are best.
duckiller
hunter

Postby Bull_sprigs » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:03 pm

All-
I'm new to the forum but not duckin'. Anyone from socal? I'm in San Diego and plan on hunting marsh near LA, but I'm a loner. Always interested in meeting fellow fowlers.
kintzelej@aol.com
See you on the fly!
Bull_sprigs
Bull_sprigs
hunter

Has anyone seen the magical christmas card yet this year?

Postby chester » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:00 pm

I am sure we all know what I am talking about here. The reservation cards that we rush home to get the mail for the wife. As my wife would say you seem more interested in finding those than you know... It seem like it should be time now. I am in Tracy and eagerly waiting the reason for me to skip out of all other commitments and go hunting at the wild and crazy LITTLE DRY CREEK. My fingers are crossed come on luck steer me right this year
chester
Newb

Postby duckiller » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:40 pm

You'll know a few days sooner if you go here! http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/waterfowl/waterfowldrawresults.html
Brown dogs are best.
duckiller
hunter

Postby TheParalyzer » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:46 pm

From Sacto and grew up hunting the refuges. I know a lot about them but am tired of dealing with the people. You would be suprised to know how much public land there is up here with good hunting and low pressure. I know it sounds crazy. If anyone has any questions about the refuges I would be happy to help and or find out the answer scince I am in close proximity.

Have you ever been to Gray Lodge NWR and sat around the fire pit on a cold rainy winter night and hear everyone else talk about "that guy" who sky scrapes, over calls, moves in on your spot and sets up too close to your decoys. Well, I was thinking, for every time I have heard hunters B.S. about this subject at numerous different refuges I have noticed that no one can ever find "that guy" he is never sitting around B.S. ing with the rest of the hunters HMMM!
TheParalyzer
hunter

That guy is all of us

Postby chester » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:05 am

The "guy" you speak of is all of us one time or another. You know that you have walked no ran to the secret spot and found the kid who won the college track meet. You know who you are the proud dad walking behind pushing the huge cart with the kids waders. Then you try and wait them out. You sit and watch and wait for them to limit out but until this happens you try to scrap off their spread. lets not lie to each other....
chester
Newb

Bet you are probably gonna hunt my club...

Postby PinTeal » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:08 am

Bull_sprigs wrote:All-
I'm new to the forum but not duckin'. Anyone from socal? I'm in San Diego and plan on hunting marsh near LA, but I'm a loner. Always interested in meeting fellow fowlers.
kintzelej@aol.com

In Corona off the 91 and the 71 in the flooded timber? If so...you'll love it.

To everyone else...I live in Sacramento now for school (go to Sacramento State) and hunt a rice field right next to Sutter's Refuge.

Down south beenhunting at that same club since I was prolly 5. Dad and brother are still hunting there--dad has been there for over 20 years.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby Bull_sprigs » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:57 pm

:salude: PinTeal!

How has the season been treating you?

I managed to bag my first pair of cinnamon teal along with gadwalls for limits on the opener, but I am not going out again til this weekend.(13-14Nov)

My schedule is really screwy, and i finally got a weekend off to hunt.

Hows the northern part of the state doing? Anyone seeing any fresh birds?

Good luck!
See you on the fly!
Bull_sprigs
Bull_sprigs
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:57 am

sure aint a hell of a lot of activity here =(

I was hoping to make this a more frequent hang out =(

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby Bull_sprigs » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:07 pm

Yeah, Mr. Smilin' Mallard, I set my profile to email me when a new topic comes up. Waterfowling around here doesn't seem to be an interest to many, :withstupid:, but that is better than too many people. :umm: Well, let your duckin partners know about the site, and we may see more involvement. Have you found any other CA fowl forums of interest?

Hows them ducks up North?????
See you on the fly!
Bull_sprigs
Bull_sprigs
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:35 pm

The ducks around here are flyin quite a bit, so there has been some action.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby Bull_sprigs » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:00 pm

Hey Humboldt-
Whats the majority of the fresh birds you been seeing? Any GreenHeaddies? :thumbsup: :getdown: :mrgreen:
See you on the fly!
Bull_sprigs
Bull_sprigs
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:33 pm

Yep a lot of teel and widgeon, also some pintails as well.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby Bull_sprigs » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:37 pm

SWEET-

Them widgeon are hard to beat as far as good eats! Mainly greenwings? :yes:
See you on the fly!
Bull_sprigs
Bull_sprigs
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:07 pm

Yeah GW'S are probably the most abundent but the other species are here as well. How is that storm you guys are havin down south? I used to work pretty close to San Diego, In San Bernadino, well close to there in Lake Arrowhead.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby Bull_sprigs » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:34 am

That's good news, with all different ducks headin' south. I think the storms you mentioned are more north of San Diego, but we are supposed to get some weather for this weekend, so I am stoked!

Keep us posted!
See you on the fly!
Bull_sprigs
Bull_sprigs
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting