San Diego County duck hunting

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

San Diego County duck hunting

Postby WAQuacker » Sun May 05, 2013 8:38 pm

Hey guys I'm new duck hunting and I'm stationed in San Diego, CA. I would like some pointers on where to start scouting and wondering the general area's every one hunts around here. I have been cruising the forums and google for a couple weeks but haven't gotten much closer to my goal.

I have seen there's hunting on Camp Pendelton but I haven't gone up there to scout anything yet. Planning on driving up there tomorrow after work.

Please impart some knowledge on a young guy! Thanks guys!
"To become old and wise, I have to get through this young and dumb phase."

US Navy ET2(SW)
User avatar
WAQuacker
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: San Diego, CA


Re: San Diego County duck hunting

Postby pork4life » Mon May 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Here you have public land, I would try scouting pendelton, but you are pretty much stuck with San Jacinto of Wister.

A question for the mods, can I suggest a forum for him that is almost all guys that are in the San Diego area?
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
User avatar
pork4life
hunter
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: San Diego County duck hunting

Postby WAQuacker » Tue May 07, 2013 9:35 pm

I keep seeing those on my ducks unlimited Android App. Are they any good for ducks?

What will I need to hunt those areas? Are there blinds there or will I need waiter or a boat? I am not opposed to buying some waiters but a boat is a little out of the question right now.

Do I need to "draw" to hunt those areas or can I just show up and hunt the areas I have scouted?

I think Thursday I'll head up to Pendleton and see what I can find. Maybe lurk around the exchange and see if I can rustle up somebody who has hunted there. This weekend I guess I'll go check out wister.

I appreciate the help.
"To become old and wise, I have to get through this young and dumb phase."

US Navy ET2(SW)
User avatar
WAQuacker
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: San Diego County duck hunting

Postby wanapasaki » Tue May 07, 2013 9:40 pm

From what my friends tell me, not much of a migration passes through there. Most of the birds settle in the central valley, but alot of sprig, wigeon and honker make it down there. Your best bet is to hit up Salton Sea area like Sunny Bono etc. There are some clubs in that area too. Your best bet is probably a private club in that area. Your active duty so alot of these clubs give give you a pretty generous blind lease, and if you ever make it up to bakersfield area during fowl season hit me up. Good luck
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
User avatar
wanapasaki
hunter
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Tehachapi, CA

Re: San Diego County duck hunting

Postby friedcoot » Tue May 07, 2013 10:39 pm

I think there are a few water districts that allow hunting on their lakes for a nominal fee down that way. You can only use their boats (electric as I recall) or hunt from shore. I'm sure someone knows which water companies are doing that. I read an article a while back about it but can't remember the exact name or location. Maybe someone will pm you the names or you might have to surf for a while till you get the hit you want. Good luck
User avatar
friedcoot
hunter
 
Posts: 1519
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 am
Location: Behind a laptop

Re: San Diego County duck hunting

Postby pork4life » Tue May 07, 2013 10:40 pm

WAQuacker wrote:I keep seeing those on my ducks unlimited Android App. Are they any good for ducks?

What will I need to hunt those areas? Are there blinds there or will I need waiter or a boat? I am not opposed to buying some waiters but a boat is a little out of the question right now.

Do I need to "draw" to hunt those areas or can I just show up and hunt the areas I have scouted?

I think Thursday I'll head up to Pendleton and see what I can find. Maybe lurk around the exchange and see if I can rustle up somebody who has hunted there. This weekend I guess I'll go check out wister.

I appreciate the help.


These answers are for San Jacinto
Question 1: You need chest waders for all ponds, a dog for some, camo, decoys, the basic, I recomend 3 inch shells because there is no need for 3 1/2 inch...The blinds are on most but on like one or two you are given your spot and have to make one...No boats, the closest thing was some guy on a yellow kayak someone told me about.

Question 2: Put in for any hunt days you can make on the online system, or if you don't have a ressie, show up and take the left overs. There are also refills, where if you don't make the morning shoot you can stick around and take a blind when someone comes in.

P.S. Tom the manager at SJ is probably the best person to run the place, even if you have no clue he will put you on the best spot available.

P.P.S. At wister they won't tell you squat
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
User avatar
pork4life
hunter
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: San Diego County duck hunting

Postby pork4life » Tue May 07, 2013 10:42 pm

friedcoot wrote:I think there are a few water districts that allow hunting on their lakes for a nominal fee down that way. You can only use their boats (electric as I recall) or hunt from shore. I'm sure someone knows which water companies are doing that. I read an article a while back about it but can't remember the exact name or location. Maybe someone will pm you the names or you might have to surf for a while till you get the hit you want. Good luck


Lake Barret
Lake Cuyumaca... Have to pay season fee of 500 bucks and can only hunt the last half
Lake Henshaw... Coldest place in San Diego, 25 to hunt, 35 to rent a boat and you have to get our decoys washed
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
User avatar
pork4life
hunter
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: San Diego County duck hunting

Postby WAQuacker » Wed May 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. Hopefully I can hook up with a vet for a couple hunts next season so I can get some pointers and the how to's.

I think I have a buddy or two interested in it too so we can learn together.
"To become old and wise, I have to get through this young and dumb phase."

US Navy ET2(SW)
User avatar
WAQuacker
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: San Diego County duck hunting

Postby bo.elliott12 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:54 pm

WAQuacker,
I am stationed on Coronado, north island. If your still looking for an extra gun, I would be very interested in meeting with you. I am from Georgia, but have a good deal of experience hunting all over the southeast as well as the eastern Chesapeake bay area in Maryland. I am very passionate about waterfowling and would love to make some friends out here to hunt with. Please feel free to contact me. My email is bo.elliott1@gmail.com.
bo.elliott12
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:42 pm


Return to California Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests