Wet winter in N california?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Re: Wet winter in N california?

Postby 3200 man » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 am

This latest storm is what we get just before Dove season and with it being a Month late , I hope this isn't what we
are going to get in the future ? But , it sure get's fellas all fired-up ( me Too ) , trying to get all my gear ready for the
Trip North . With NO water up north but , enough in the places I hunt , it should be good !

Keep your fingers Crossed , Mother Nature has ways of Fooling US !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Looks like N. Calif is catching another nice little batch of moisture, and it's still only Sept!
Let's hope Oct, and especially Nov. see storms like they used to to get there.

Yeah I know, too much water can scatter the birds, but better that late in Dec, than nothing at all next year!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:03 pm

With having a circle stomped in my backyard lawn , rain dancing , Mother Nature has heard me !

I can now go north with the idea of , wearing my waders ?

Thanks Fsbird , for all your support ! :lol3: :lol3: :thumbsup:

I will be in Thayne , Wednesday
3200 man
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:17 pm

I wish or pray it stays dry!
I had my best duck season during a drought, no chit!
No water means the birds hang by the refuges instead of spreading them out. So if your lucky enough to have water early count your blessing.
All you blind leased people out there will be at the fuges anyway!!
am I wrong?
Thank God for the Purge.......Been a long time coming!
see ya (at the fuges)
I love combat hunting!
(No one is getting away with sitting on my swing this year...."period"!)
LET THEM WORK!!!
puddlehunter
puddlehunter
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:58 pm

puddlehunter wrote:I wish or pray it stays dry!
I had my best duck season during a drought, no chit!
No water means the birds hang by the refuges instead of spreading them out. So if your lucky enough to have water early count your blessing.
All you blind leased people out there will be at the fuges anyway!!
am I wrong?
Thank God for the Purge.......Been a long time coming!
see ya (at the fuges)
I love combat hunting!
(No one is getting away with sitting on my swing this year...."period"!)
LET THEM WORK!!!
puddlehunter

Exspect most rice blinds are early harvest this year. The past 2 years I did not get to start setting up till around turkey day. Not this year. Water comes next week. Winning. And it the same story for a hand full of my other rice friends this year. Plenty of water to go around. Where the refuges sit in that line we shall see

No refuge till after Xmas this year unless I pull that golden ticket.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:27 am

Since last Thursday we have had a steady diet of very light rains, with an occasional snowflake mixed in from time to time.
Last night I opened the window above our heads to hear the rain, and feel the cool chill against our faces. Good sleep that!
I was in hopes of hearing those first few flocks of Specks moving down the river, but we may have to wait for the next clear night for them to move through our area. They may come mixed with the early flocks of Snows this time. Perhaps a group of Swans as well.
The Canadas are gathering across the river in their roost again each night now, and we are being treated to a much earlier move to the fields where they feed each morning, and the line of their flight brings them very low over the house.
The forecast is for clearing weather over the next few days, and I would like to see the ground dry for our trek to be hauling goose decoys across the winter wheat field we'll be hunting on opening morning.
After they begin to cut the cornfields in the area, we'll be able to drive to the X to set up in them, and that just makes it so much easier!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby John Duck » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:51 pm

We have had an early migration here in Alaska and a lot of those birds go to CA. Many are now in Canada, WA and OR. We had 19 straight days of cold rain here in South-Central AK and it cooled off the land and air early. Some birds start out of here in Mid-August some years.
John Duck
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:59 pm

John Duck wrote:We have had an early migration here in Alaska and a lot of those birds go to CA. Many are now in Canada, WA and OR. We had 19 straight days of cold rain here in South-Central AK and it cooled off the land and air early. Some birds start out of here in Mid-August some years.

That's good to hear, John!
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting