Webfoot Outfitters

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Webfoot Outfitters

Postby elwood19 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Hey guys,
I just booked a hunt with this outfitter for the 2nd weekend of Oct. Has anyone used them before?? I had a buddy of mine use them last season and said they were good. Just curious if anyone else on this site has used them in the past.

Thanks
elwood19
hunter

Re: Webfoot Outfitters

Postby ricemanff » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:08 pm

How was the trip with Webfoot? I have a trip with them this spring
"Ducks on The Water" The movie will be out one of these days
R.L.T. 3/23/81-6/27/04 Best duck hunting partner/brother ever

www.woodbutchercalls.com
ricemanff
hunter

Postby ricemanff » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:50 am

Well Elwood19 we tried Webfoot Outfitters...... horrible hunting experience. I will never use them again.

www.woodbutchercalls.com
ricemanff
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:59 am

edit. Just saw the other thread on this...............
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby blugoose » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:29 pm

So what was the horrible experience? No birds bad guides etc?
blugoose
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:21 pm

blugoose wrote:So what was the horrible experience? No birds bad guides etc?

See his post here (5th one down):

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=421569
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby ricemanff » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:36 am

Probably the inexperience of the guide. We hunted a dry field. We put out the decoys, mixed snows, specks, canadians all together. Typically when they are in the field the white geese are together and surrounded by the specks and or canadians. The he throws us a piece of burlap and said just cover up with that. To lower ourselves in the flat ground we use our hands to dig holes so we don't cast shadows. The calling was not even close to a speck or snow, well every once in a while he would put a string together and it would sound right. The birds keep flaring so I was hoping he would do a decoy spread change. I finally ask if we can open up a few landing holes and use the big 747 shells to cover up with since our camo burlap didn't match. The birds kept landing on the other side of the field so he told us to go jump shoot them. I didn't like the idea but we got 1 out of that. So back to laying down, we did get two more. We had a pair come in at 45-50 yards and we tried them. We got them, but 1 sailed about 200 yds. I don't believe in sky busting. At our club we have a very big fine for this and second offense you are banned for a month, third offense you are kicked out. I don't like to sky bust and thats what he was wanting us to do. If I can't see the birds eye, we don't take the shot. Now to day 2. I asked where are we hunting, he says......Same field.....Really. This time we will sit in the weeds on the levee next to the refuge. Sets up a snow spread 300 yds away and a speck spread of 24 in front of us is 3 family groups..... Birds are still flaring.... I finally get up and look, his kid is laying out white hands and face calling at the birds. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but by this time I had painted my hands and face for the first time this whole season to make sure I was not flaring the birds. I as well as the other guys in my group had weeds totally covering us from head to toe. At this time we asked to set the decoys up a little different and then we started to assist in calling, by this time it was 9:30 in the morning and the shoot was done.

www.woodbutchercalls.com
ricemanff
hunter

Postby elwood19 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Yea they weren't good at all. We hunting in early Oct and killed 9 ducks and 4 honkers, which isn't bad, but their calling was so bad. My buddy and I took over at some point. I will never use them again.
elwood19
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Roque merlo is the best outfitter.
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:29 pm

Privileged hunter wrote:Roque merlo is the best outfitter.

That is 3 riversoutfitter. It's Jeff that's does most of his guides. Great set up. I went out with Them 3 times this year. All great hunts. You can see from my pics. He is the owner of the blinds I shoot off of.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 pm

My buddy went with them and they evidently had a bunch of surprise clients from California join them. Ended up shooting one speck due to no one in the other party grassing in their layout blinds and trying to shoot out of range birds
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby ricemanff » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:37 am

Their layout blinds were actually digging a hole and covering with camo netting. It is not a situation I would like to put myself in again. He was wanting us to take long shots and I/we did not go there for that. I don't shoot that way on my club and I am not going to shoot like that with a so called guide. It wasn't us at the surprise clients. I had planned this trip months in advance and was very disappointed.

www.woodbutchercalls.com
ricemanff
hunter

Postby nitram » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:14 am

Rice,

Sorry to hear about your experience. As a former independent guide I have to ask you a question. Did you have a post-hunt conversation with the person you booked your hunt with and/or the owner(s)? Were you given an avenue to explain your frustration(s)? Did they listen and offer to make it right? Good feedback, positive or otherwise, is the key to improving any business, especially one (such as a guide service) that depends almost totally on word-of-mouth to survive. :beer:
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:12 am

ricemanff wrote:Their layout blinds were actually digging a hole and covering with camo netting. It is not a situation I would like to put myself in again. He was wanting us to take long shots and I/we did not go there for that. I don't shoot that way on my club and I am not going to shoot like that with a so called guide. It wasn't us at the surprise clients. I had planned this trip months in advance and was very disappointed.

I had a simliar experience with webfoot outfitters, the guide did seem inexperienced, because he didn't bother to brush up out blinds very well. Or change the decoys or any of the set up even after having 15+ flocks flair at that 70 yrd mark. We used very sparsely spaced, half rotten grass that was on the blinds when they pulled them out of the trailer to brush them up. We did hunt from layout blinds, but mine was missing a pin on the door, which made it difficult to push the door open when it was time to shoot. Like you said he wanted us to shoot at far birds. I was thinking WTH! I can shoot at far birds at home, I came here to shoot limits or very close to limits of birds at 35 yrd or closer that's why I'm paying him as a guide. We quit early too, 11 am is a little early for me. Very dissapointed, was expecting to bring home 8-12 birds home and came home with 1 speck. :no: It didn't make things any better that he didn't tell us the night before that we'd be hunting with other people which I didn't oppose until I found out it was a couple of fat cats who complained and bad mouthed me about how I wasn't shooting at the 50 yrd birds that they were. Although the guide did try to make things better by inviting me next year for a free hunt. So that makes me feel better about the guide himself, but not about his guide services.
Pull 'em outta the sky!
Echospartan
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 am

Now this is what DHC is all about, exchange of information and "yelping" each other out!
Great to know what really going on out there. They do have the coolest name though..
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby ricemanff » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:07 am

nitram wrote:Rice,

Sorry to hear about your experience. As a former independent guide I have to ask you a question. Did you have a post-hunt conversation with the person you booked your hunt with and/or the owner(s)? Were you given an avenue to explain your frustration(s)? Did they listen and offer to make it right? Good feedback, positive or otherwise, is the key to improving any business, especially one (such as a guide service) that depends almost totally on word-of-mouth to survive. :beer:

I think he was well aware of our frustrations. 3 birds for $1200 paid and birds were flaring. Guide wanted us to take shots at 45-50 yards. I don't shoot that high at home. I did take 1 at 45, but it sailed(it was retrieved) I will not let any of our members on our club shoot that high, if they do they lose their pick for a month and then are removed from the club for the remainder of the season if it happens again.

To answer your questions
The guy I booked the hunt was the same guy that took us out. He finally said he would give us a hunt day next season with another paid day, that was it. No we were not given an avenue for suggestions. We hunted the same field twice and that was after we had only fired our guns 7 times the day before. 5 shots at a jump shoot on some birds about 300 yards from us that we walked down a canal. I will do more for my guests to our club than he did for his paying clients. I realize guiding is word of mouth and this is why i am trying to protect other individuals from making the same mistake we made. What added insult to injury was he had another
field with other clients that were at least getting some shooting in. So he knew that we had 3 birds the first day and he didn't take us to a better spot on day two. Day one shame on him, day two shame on me for going with that guide service.

www.woodbutchercalls.com
ricemanff
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:16 am

Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby nitram » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 am

Thank you for the detailed response. It seems you've done all you can and more importantly, you've respectfully given your opinion. Now it's out there for prospective customers who frequent DHC to have a real-life evaluation and ability to talk with you further, if need be.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Yes, that's the guide service, don't be fooled by their pictures and talking it up of how they have some of the "awesome hunting grounds in the area". There "most awesome hunting grounds" is a dinky 10 acre field filled with cow poop. $400 for me and a buddy to go out and me only shoot one goose is not my idea of a good hunt.
Pull 'em outta the sky!
Echospartan
hunter

Postby ricemanff » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:44 pm

X2
3 guys hunting
3 birds total
2 days
$1200=not hunting with them again

www.woodbutchercalls.com
ricemanff
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:23 pm

ricemanff wrote:X2
3 guys hunting
3 birds total
2 days
$1200=not hunting with them again

@ 400 a bird I would have mounted those suckers no matter how ugly.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Bvconst » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:35 am

I have thought hard about writing this post. but feel I need to If I can save one person from booking a hunt with WEBFOOT Outfitters.I am not one to complain but one I feel I have ripped off so be it. I had the worst hunnting experience with Webfoot. The first day began with meeting previous clients from the day before. They had said that they had not fired a shot.Having said that I was still optimistic and hope for a great day. One the outfitter showed up with only two small bags of decoys I new we were in trouble,needless to say I helped setting up,no lay out blinds were provided just layed in a small ditch, sure ther were lots of birds but these birds did everything they could do to avoid us I have never seen bird flare like they did.needless to say not a shot fired 4 people 800.00 dollars not a shot. to make matters worse the guide said we had to leave at 9:30 or 10:00 to go scout what a half day of hunting not Happy! Day two got worse no blinds, were told to lay out on a bank he set out about two dozen silo socks thats right only two dozen same as the day before birds did everything they could to avoid us.I dont skiscrape but had but was mad we knock down two snows when he was not not shocking the crap out of his dog theywere retrived. only to find when I went to clean the birds ther breasts were in shreeds Dog had a hard mouth.That day ended at 10:00 another half day 4 hunters 800.00 dollars 2 birds thats about 800.00 a bird for the two days. I just hope no one else has a hunting trip like this with Webfoot . Can any one recommend an outfitter that would at least take pride in there job and give ther ther clients a have a chance for a good day. Dont mean to bash anyone but this was my experience with WEBFOOT OUTFITTERS never again!!!!!
Bvconst
Newb

Postby John95205 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Are Group hunted with webfoot in 2013 during the spring goose hunt on the first day we got 12 birds and missed a lot more on the second day it seemed like everything Flattered us clear bluebird warm day outfitter John offered us a buy one get one free to come back we hunted again during the September Canada goose and two days of hunting we harvested 48 honkers It was an awesome hunt. We come back up again this spring 2014 we had one day where we harvested 8 specs and one day were we harvested 7 specs and 5 snows the birds just haven't showed up yet we seen a lot more Birds the previous year not their fault steel had a great time and I'm going to do it again this next year if you guys were offered a hunt to come back you should really try it I'm glad I did. :thumbsup:
John95205
Newb

Postby tealdog » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:08 am

Why are all the webfoot guide service threads on various sites getting spammed? With first time posters being the ONLY positive comments? Are the "guides" assuming people are really that stupid?
tealdog
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:05 am

tealdog wrote:Why are all the webfoot guide service threads on various sites getting spammed? With first time posters being the ONLY positive comments? Are the "guides" assuming people are really that stupid?

You mean " john" the guide. I had the same felling.
I think it really points out how clueless these guys really are.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting