Ornbaun Ranch Kennels

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Ornbaun Ranch Kennels

Postby spoonie_queen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 am

Has anyone heard anything about this kennel other than the training grounds? Based off research I have heard Steve runs a great training facility and it comes recommended, but cannot find much of the actual training.

If anyone could add some input that would be great.

Also, I am looking to do a 2-4week puppy headstart so if you have any personal experience with a particular trainer in the Northern California I am all ears.
spoonie_queen
hunter

Re: Ornbaun Ranch Kennels

Postby DkKiller » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:08 am

My old man used Ornbaun years and years ago. Everything went well. I'm sure the training staff has completely turned over since then so not sure how today is going.

On your puppy head start, both Hightest and Jan Burkholder with Stonewalldogs.com have the puppy head start training. I used Jan and I was extremely pleased with the intro and foundation my dog received.
DkKiller
hunter

Postby Winemaker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:59 pm

I don't know Ornbaun, but I agree with DKKiller you can't go wrong with Hightest or Stonewall. I have experience with both of them, most recently with Jan at Stonewall. If she has room for you and you can get to her location then I highly recommend her.
Winemaker
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:28 am

Ornbaun? No

Hightest? No.

Stonewall? I'd talk with Jan.

Also.....whats a puppy head start program??
blackdog58
hunter

Postby jmonte35 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:54 am

blackdog58 wrote:Ornbaun? No

Hightest? No.

No based on what?????? Hardly an accurate review.

Steve Ornabaugn is a fantastic trainer along with any of the others listed already but his question had nothing to do with supporting another kennel.

To the op.....lots of good to talk about Steve.....First he does all the training personally which I like. He is extremely honest and forthcoming with any and all information. He's the most transparent trainer I have ever met. You always know how your dog is being treated and always frees time to answer any and all questions. Huge positive for me. He has an open door policy. You can come check on your dog any time even without heads up.

My biggest positive is Steve has you involved every step of the way. He will take the time to train you as a handler which is sometimes harder than training the dog. If you need a flexible schedule he's open to that as well. I took my dog 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off to complete some of the training on my own and was only charged when my pup was there. He also allows me to come out any time to use the facility and get free advice any time I want. You absolutely WILL NOT find a better trainer when it comes to customer satisfaction.

Here is the training....he like most trainers is a force fetch trainer which I think is the only way. He follows a similar program to any trainer. Builds drive, OB, Force, steady, then college work if the owner wants.

What you can expect.....Steve's training is working dogs training. I know he could train for hunt tests but if that's all your looking for than Steve is NOT your guy. He trains phenomenal hunting dogs that you can expect good manners from in the field and be a dynamite hunting dog. Some of you can talk about how hunt tests are the same as hunting and I would agree somewhat....however, very few people need that level of training for hunting situations.

Lastly is price you will not find a more reasonably priced trainer than Steve.

If you want a perfect hunting dog go to Steve. If you want a national champ don't. If you want to be a better handler/trainer and have a balanced well mannered dog in the blind you will not find better than Steve. I would put money on that.
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
Suisun Marsh D.U. Chapter Chairman
2013 3rd annual Military Appreciation Dinner Date TBD
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SuisunMarshDU
www.suisunmarshdu.com (website down until we have next years date and info nailed down)
jmonte35
hunter

Postby Winemaker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:38 am

PM reply sent.
Winemaker
hunter

Postby jmonte35 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:01 am

Hightest? No.

Puppy head starts are usually built around drive...getting them excited about birds...some very basic OB and depending on the age intro to gun and water. All trainers are different...some won't take a dog til 6 months others will start some basic stuff earlier. More for people who don't have access to birds and other things that can help with getting a pup excited.
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
www.suisunmarshdu.com (website down until we have next years date and info nailed down)
jmonte35
hunter

Postby DkKiller » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:18 pm

jmonte35 wrote:

Hightest? No.

Puppy head starts are usually built around drive...getting them excited about birds...some very basic OB and depending on the age intro to gun and water. All trainers are different...some won't take a dog til 6 months others will start some basic stuff earlier. More for people who don't have access to birds and other things that can help with getting a pup excited.

The OP has this info but for those wondering
The puppy head start Jan offers is a 2 week puppy program which sets your dog off to a good start. She only takes dogs once they reach 4m w/rabies shot until 6m. Basic obedience is included plus the pups are introduced to gun fire, water and live birds. This is all simple fundamental stuff and very playful. I'm sure each pup is different and she caters differently but those are the basics.

At 6 months my dog went off to another trainer and with gun conditioning, water and birds already introduced her transition seemed to go much smoother.

I have zero experience with Hightest I just know they do puppy headstarts based off of their website.
DkKiller
hunter

Postby spoonie_queen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:54 am

Thank you all so much. I definitely have my work cut out for me on making a decision. I am dropping the pup off in the next 2 weeks as We will be out of town for a few weeks.

Thank you again for the PM's and replies.

I am going to call them both and see availability. Also I would like to make sure she will be on live birds and also intro to gun fire (starter pistol)

I do not think I will be using hightest because I feel they are not personal..... I want someone that will be doing the training them self. I believe hightest has up to 40 dogs? with several trainers and they rotate?

From what I read Jan only takes on 6 dogs and 2 puppies. DK also confirmed that via PM. From the recent post by Jmonte it sounds like Steve boards dogs but he ping pongs dogs back and forth so he may not have that many dogs at once. Both huge positives.

I will let you know my decision.
spoonie_queen
hunter

Postby jmonte35 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:20 pm

spoonie_queen wrote:Thank you all so much. I definitely have my work cut out for me on making a decision. I am dropping the pup off in the next 2 weeks as We will be out of town for a few weeks.

Thank you again for the PM's and replies.

I am going to call them both and see availability. Also I would like to make sure she will be on live birds and also intro to gun fire (starter pistol)

I do not think I will be using hightest because I feel they are not personal..... I want someone that will be doing the training them self. I believe hightest has up to 40 dogs? with several trainers and they rotate?

From what I read Jan only takes on 6 dogs and 2 puppies. DK also confirmed that via PM. From the recent post by Jmonte it sounds like Steve boards dogs but he ping pongs dogs back and forth so he may not have that many dogs at once. Both huge positives.

I will let you know my decision.

Let us know....Steve most definitely uses live birds....he's usually very busy this time of year but he'll always make time for you. Steve usually has some boarding only dogs as well....you will get an extremely personal experience no doubt. Please post your experience because I'm sure it will be nothing but positive. Beware...Steve is long winded..LOL. You'll see what I mean when you go out there. Be prepared to be a sponge...he goes over a lot of stuff with you. Good luck to you...either choice will be an excellent one.
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
jmonte35
hunter

Postby spoonie_queen » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:39 pm

Just to update everyone. I did use Jan at Stonewall retrievers. My fiancé dropped the pup off the 11th. I spoke with Jan today and she said that our pup is doing extremely well. She is really alert and impressed with her willingness to learn and please. The things she is not pleased with is her constant jumping. Jan has gotten her to understand that she can jump but just not on her or anyone. Also she will not get in the water past her elbows. I was hoping she would be a swimming fool as she was when she was a puppy in a pool but I guess not.

She loves live birds. Love the bumpers that are made out of firehouse. Introduced her to a starter pistol at a distance and now is going to work her closer to the starter pistol. If she does well she can introduce the shotgun by the weekend with the older dogs. Hoping she puts her focus more onto to the water entry, but she is the professional

I have also talked with Steve and he is going to meet with us this Sunday or possibly next for a free orientation. He was extremely helpful on the phone and talked for almost 45 minutes. Plus his training facility comes highly recommended.

I will let you know and maybe post some video this weekend when we pick her up from Jan
spoonie_queen
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:07 pm

My pup jumps... I'm working on that one... And she was absolutely afraid of water... Had to take her to the lake and carried her while I walked out to chest high water... Kissed her, said you'll thank me later and threw her in.

Now I'm having trouble keeping her out if the water whenever she sees some. Good luck with your pup. Sure has been a fun ride so far
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby berdnird » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:51 pm

When I got my pup I was lucky to have a neighbor with a 2 year lab that is the best trained dog I have every seen hands down. We would always use his dog to get mine all riled up and excited. I'd keep my dog next to me on a leash while he threw bumpers. When I finally let my dog off the leash he would explode after the bumper and bring it back looking for more.

Same thing happened on his first water retrieve. After watching my buddies dog do a couple really long water retrieves, mine was chomping at the bit. We threw one for mine in about 1 foot of water...no problem. Threw the second one in about 3 feet of water...no problem. Let the third one go where he had to swim about 50 feet...no problem. He didn't even have a chance to think about the water and he hasn't looked back since.
berdnird
hunter

Postby spoonie_queen » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Great advice. I am thinking we will use my step dads dog who is a great dog. He also has his own pond so we can practice in that. We are excited to get her back. Only thing about using my step dads dog is she is a whiner. He can't take her to the blind anymore only upland game. Will our dog copy his if she whines?
spoonie_queen
hunter

Postby berdnird » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:17 pm

I wouldn't really be concerned about the whining. The most important thing is that when you send the older dog he/she goes out to get it and bring it back enthusiastically. If your dog likes retrieving then he/she will be tugging on the leash wanting to get that bumper. Try the shallow, medium, and then deep retrieves. You might also want to give it a try on dry land first to see if your dog gets riled up watching another dog retrieve.

Best Luck. Let us know how it goes.
berdnird
hunter

Ornbaun Ranch Kennels

Postby spoonie_queen » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:31 pm

I will definitely keep you posted. We went to dinner tonight at my step dads to see him and my little brother off before they go to Missouri for bow season to get some deer and he said he agrees that we should have Bella do some water retrieves and it should definitely work. Also the jumping is not that big of a problem. Lastly Bella never whines as long as there is something to retrieve or she knows she will be having fun. It is the waiting in the blind and sitting still + quiet that she cannot do. Hence, why she is an awesome upland dog but not so much waterfowl. He actually wants to meet with Steve and see if he can help. Maybe get a referral discount haha
spoonie_queen
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:47 am

Last edited by blackdog58 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:29 am

Hightest? No.

I have no experience with Ornbaun so I'm not going to comment on them. As for Hightest, they are the more overrated gun dog training facility on the forums. One thing you have to remember is that the majority of guys have NEVER had a properly trained dog. For them, any dog that can perform better than their misbehaved, poor-handling dogs that they've owned previously is an improvement. Doesn't mean that trainer is top-notch though. If you're looking for basics, they're probably all fine. But, if you're looking for a finished dog who has been trained well by someone who has a broad experience with dogs and knows how to manage different character traits and train for them appropriately, that's a different story. Don't ask me who I'd recommend though. I train my dogs myself. My dogs get more attention that way, they learn from ME which I believe is helpful later on, and I enjoy spending the time with them and getting the satisfaction out of the finished product. I'm not a professional by any means and ANYONE can do it with 20-30 min/day. If you don't have that much time to spend with your dog, you shouldn't own one, IMO.
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby Winemaker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:40 pm

If you don't have that much time to spend with your dog, you shouldn't own one, IMO.

:no:

I love this kind of reply about hunting dogs. I bought a started dog from Hightest and she has blown the doors off of every dog that we have hunted with since the day I bought her. I'm talking about guys with a passion for hunting, deep hunting and dog training knowledge and in some cases a permanent disability that enables them to do NOTHING except spend time training their dogs. Your results may vary.

One thing you have to remember is that the majority of guys have NEVER had a properly trained dog.

These are true words Mallards and as others have commented it also really matters what you are looking for. Jan will say that she trains house pets to hunt, although anyone that has read her columns in CWA over the years also realizes that her experiences span every topic relating to hunting dog training. She doesn't train for field trails and some hunters want that level of dog performance. Personally, not having kids at my house could also help me to maintain an "adult" relationship with my dogs that might make it easier to maintain their training, I'm not sure. I will also endorse a concept that I think Mallards is communicating in his reply that any dog handler/owner can only expect to get out of a dog what they put into their relationship with the dog. While this is true it is not necessary to quit your day job to do it in my experience.
Winemaker
hunter

Postby Nabs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:46 pm

I have 2 dogs, 1 I trained myself and one trained by hightest. The major difference in the 2 dogs is Baylee (trained by me) is the greatest hunting dog alive for me, she will not hunt for anyone else. Duncan was trained by Hightest and is a great dog and will hunt for others as well as myself (as long as I am not present). Baylee and Duncan bred and I should have BayCans in about a month. Everyone loves Bacon right?
Nabs
hunter

Postby KenaiHunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:29 pm

I've hunted with a couple buddies dogs out of hightest, none of the other mentioned kennels. They have both been great retrievers, but I just cannot justify spending thousands of dollars on that training. IMO, training your own dog and then hunting that dog is the most gratifying experience a hunter can have. It makes every hunt, (whether you kill birds or not), a successful, fun and rewarding hunt. I wouldn't get down on anyone who pays for trained dogs, training is a full time commitment, however training your own is a very personal and rewarding experience. My dog is my hunting partner, I trained him, and couldn't be happier with the results.

I might mention that I do work 45-50 hrs a week, (no kids), yet still found time for training. 6 years later, I continue to work with him weekly. Furthermore, I do not believe that any dog coming out of any kennel is a "turn key" type of dog. Both kennel trained dogs I've hunted with required immense tuning and training afterward. Seemed to me like both buddies could've saved a couple grand and done it themselves. Both guys are happy they spent that extra time with their hunting pups though!

Again, I'm not getting down on anyone who spends the money to have their dogs trained. Everyone's schedule and finances are different.
KenaiHunter
hunter

Postby Nabs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:18 pm

I sent Duncan cause it was spring and I work 4 to 500 hours a month for 4 and a half months.
Nabs
hunter

Postby Winemaker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Furthermore, I do not believe that any dog coming out of any kennel is a "turn key" type of dog.

This statement is very true. When you do spend thousands of dollars they sell you a "started" dog. It is always up to the individual handler/hunter/owner to finish and maintain their training.
Winemaker
hunter

Postby spoonie_queen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Well back on track of the thread. We picked our pup up from Jan at Stonewall. She was there OCT 11th till today the 28th. I would say Jan is a nice lady but very business like. She doesn't give the same feel as Steve at Ornbaun Kennels. When we showed up she said:

Hey. Here is your homework. Here are the commands. I will go get her and $50 off for the formal training.

Tried to talk to her a bit to get her to talk and explain. Definitely think my expectations were higher than what they should have been. Thought there would be a show,tell, do, and review. But nothing.

Her only points were,

*she isn't bothered by the starter pistol firing next her.
*she got her on a 12 gauge up to about 25 yards
*she needs to swim with another dog that loves water to build her confidence
*She thinks that our pup grew while she was there

That was honestly about it. Other than that it was silent and she was writing down the commands. While she did that we were saying hi to our puppy.

Not sure how I feel about it all, but hey she watched our pup for 2 weeks.

I don't know, but when I shopped around everyone had said after you pick her up we will show you what we have been going over. I will show you how to properly do the homework and if I have time get a bird out for her.

That was diamond P. Hightest. Ornbaun kennels. Rocha Retrievers. And Olive Hill.

Anyway. Called Steve and going to see him tomorrow at 9am for a free intro, check out the kennel, and throw some live birds. He definitely wants to meet her and see where we are and what the next step is. Even though I know the next step is Obedience Obedience Obedience and fun bumpers. Lol

Thanks again all for following along and I will post up after tomorrow.
spoonie_queen
hunter

Postby berdnird » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:57 pm

I don't know anything about Stonewall Retrievers, but I'll tell you what I don't like about your last post. The fact that nobody took the time, not even 15 minutes, to actually work with you and your dog to go over what has been accomplished and what still needs work. A written list of "homework" items doesn't really help me much. I can find that type of information online, in a book, or on a DVD for a heck of a lot cheaper. Seriously, not even 15 minutes to work with you and your dog?

One of the main reasons that I took my dog to a trainer was because I need lots of work. I know most trainers can produce a quality dog, but I want to learn as much training from the trainer. That's part of what I'm paying for. When I dropped of my dog I was told to come by anytime, as often as I would like, to see how he was doing and observe progress. I stop by at least once a week and the trainer is more than willing to spend half an hour to an hour with me and my dog. This way I can see what future problems he may have (the dog, not the trainer) and the trainer can work with me on how to correct. It's amazing how very very small differences in the handler (me versus the trainer) can produce a champion dog versus an ok dog....and that is what I'm paying for.

Good Luck
berdnird
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting