Ornbaun Ranch Kennels

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Re: Ornbaun Ranch Kennels

Postby jmonte35 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:53 pm

spoonie_queen wrote:Well back on track of the thread. We picked our pup up from Jan at Stonewall. She was there OCT 11th till today the 28th. I would say Jan is a nice lady but very business like. She doesn't give the same feel as Steve at Ornbaun Kennels. When we showed up she said:

Hey. Here is your homework. Here are the commands. I will go get her and $50 off for the formal training.

Tried to talk to her a bit to get her to talk and explain. Definitely think my expectations were higher than what they should have been. Thought there would be a show,tell, do, and review. But nothing.

Her only points were,

*she isn't bothered by the starter pistol firing next her.
*she got her on a 12 gauge up to about 25 yards
*she needs to swim with another dog that loves water to build her confidence
*She thinks that our pup grew while she was there

That was honestly about it. Other than that it was silent and she was writing down the commands. While she did that we were saying hi to our puppy.

Not sure how I feel about it all, but hey she watched our pup for 2 weeks.

I don't know, but when I shopped around everyone had said after you pick her up we will show you what we have been going over. I will show you how to properly do the homework and if I have time get a bird out for her.

That was diamond P. Hightest. Ornbaun kennels. Rocha Retrievers. And Olive Hill.

Anyway. Called Steve and going to see him tomorrow at 9am for a free intro, check out the kennel, and throw some live birds. He definitely wants to meet her and see where we are and what the next step is. Even though I know the next step is Obedience Obedience Obedience and fun bumpers. Lol

Thanks again all for following along and I will post up after tomorrow.

You won't go any where else after stopping with Steve. He will make sure you are pleased. He absolutely will walk you through every step of training. He'll take out dogs that are in different stages of training and show you what to expect.

He will also evaluate your dog and give you an honest evaluation and give you some realistic expectations. Please post your experience with Steve.
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
Suisun Marsh D.U. Chapter Chairman
2013 3rd annual Military Appreciation Dinner Date TBD
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SuisunMarshDU
www.suisunmarshdu.com (website down until we have next years date and info nailed down)
jmonte35
hunter

Postby spoonie_queen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Birdnird, yup absolutely nothing. We literally walked in, she said hey! Ill et her in a minute she is going to be all wound up. Pulled out her file and slid a piece a paper that explained the obedience walk in a square pattern. (Heal sit heal in clockwise motion) then the same in counter clockwise and said here is homework and began writing down commands. In between I asked the questions and her replies were in my last post. Me and my fiancé looked at each other like "hmmm awkward" look.

Anyway, I can say that after watching Her work tonight I do see changes. We are able to to a forward sit with her and stay, and able to pull on the leash and walk side to side, drop the leash and she will not move until you say here or toot the whistle 3 times. She knows the basics of heal and you can do the sit heal sit heal sit heal drill for a while. Seems like she is charging bumpers a lot harder and bringing them right back to you. She heals and sits to your left side and stay her- throw the bumper- and release her on her name.

We can see a difference. Just would have liked the personable feel.

Jmonte. Will definitely post up something after meeting with Steve.
spoonie_queen
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:09 am

Dog results, or adult conversation with personality. Which do you want, and what does one really expect from a two week head start ??

Seems like you're seeing some results, which is good for "two" weeks.

Give me results, anytime over personality.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby HQLabs » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:28 pm

I agree with blackdog.....Pro trainers are busy, very busy. Some are more social than others but you got what you paid for. You may have gotten more with a longer commitment than 2 weeks.
HQLabs
Newb

Postby jmonte35 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:52 pm

HQLabs wrote:I agree with blackdog.....Pro trainers are busy, very busy. Some are more social than others but you got what you paid for. You may have gotten more with a longer commitment than 2 weeks.

Very very busy is no excuse for poor customer service. You can and should get both. I wouldn't commit money to a someone I wasn't comfortable with. Customer service seems to be a lost art. Cabelas will have a customer for life with me based on their service alone. Same goes for dog trainers....absolutely you need results but there are plenty of outstanding trainers out there to not be fully pleased. I believe that his last trainer was excellent but if he didnt get the service he desires than I say move on to the next.
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
www.suisunmarshdu.com (website down until we have next years date and info nailed down)
jmonte35
hunter

Postby HQLabs » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:12 pm

jmonte35 wrote:
HQLabs wrote:I agree with blackdog.....Pro trainers are busy, very busy. Some are more social than others but you got what you paid for. You may have gotten more with a longer commitment than 2 weeks.

Very very busy is no excuse for poor customer service. You can and should get both. I wouldn't commit money to a someone I wasn't comfortable with. Customer service seems to be a lost art. Cabelas will have a customer for life with me based on their service alone. Same goes for dog trainers....absolutely you need results but there are plenty of outstanding trainers out there to not be fully pleased. I believe that his last trainer was excellent but if he didnt get the service he desires than I say move on to the next.

True......it's your money, spend it how you want. A well trained dog in a short amount of time doesn't require a feel good session for the owner. Just get it done. There are plenty of "good" trainers but only a handful of "outstanding" ones.
HQLabs
Newb

Postby HQLabs » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Its good to check out multiple pros anyway. Find one that you like and work with them.
HQLabs
Newb

Postby DkKiller » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:49 pm

blackdog58 wrote:Dog results, or adult conversation with personality. Which do you want, and what does one really expect from a two week head start ??

Seems like you're seeing some results, which is good for "two" weeks.

Give me results, anytime over personality.

It is odd how you didn't get a formal walk through with Jan working with your pup. Jan spent 10 minutes showing me where my pup was at and worked her with me on the final day.

Several good comments from BD and others here. Dog's progress at their own speed. Each trainer will get different results from the same dog. Results in two weeks in several areas, that's a good thing. A lot of guys won't see changes in there dogs in a month...
DkKiller
hunter

Postby spoonie_queen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Only one word WOW!

Steve was amazing. He spent over 2 hours with us Just doing orientation and didn't ask for a dime. He was beyond informative on everything. He started everything off with, "I am a talker, people ask me the time and I tell them how to build a clock"

He literally spared nothing with his info. He had us show him our basic obedience with the pup and he just watched. Then he said. My turn! In minutes he had her obeying his every command. Sitting and staying for minutes at a time as we talked. Healing her and working her with the heeling stick. He constantly explained his every move and why he did it and what the pup is thinking. We have been working on obedience and using the whistle and he noticed our progress.

Then we moved to the check cord and he was doing facing sits and walking 20 30 ft and saying here. Then doing it with the whistle. Pretty cool. Then he showed how to teach down. Also showed how to use a heeling stick Properly.

Then he moved on to the live bird. He was amazed at how she just watched him with the bird in his hand while he talked. She just stayed out in front of him sitting. It seemed like a life time before he threw it. The pigeon went flying and she nailed it, grabbed it, and brought it straight back and placed it in his hand. Then sat next to his left leg and waited for the next one. He honestly, was shocked. He put the bird down and said," this is one of the nicest pups he has seen in years!" That was great to hear. Our first proud puppy moment.

He said without a doubt I would put money and time into this pup. He wanted to know where we got her. He said she has the drive. The learn. The smarts. She isn't tough (ear pinch). She is lean. Wants to please.

Then he showed me around his property.

Brought out a dog going through training.

Did the starter pistol

Took our pup out to his pond with birds.

The list honestly goes on and on and on.

The best part of the hole thing is Steve himself. He explained everything. He is friendly. Informative. He also brought a dog out that has been training with him to show his product.

Lastly, he will take your dog out to hunt or you bring him with you to your spot and you both can hunt and he will train your dog at the same time. My fiancé already is lining a hunt up with him. Steve says the more exposure we can get our pup to over the next 2 months (guns, birds, obedience) the easier the transition will be in the field. He says I should take her out all of January if all goes well and we follow the program but most of all not push it. After what he saw today he believes she should be going on some afternoon fun hunts this season.

We will 100% be using Steve at Ornbaun Ranch.
spoonie_queen
hunter

Postby jmonte35 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:09 pm

spoonie_queen wrote:Only one word WOW!

Steve was amazing. He spent over 2 hours with us Just doing orientation and didn't ask for a dime. He was beyond informative on everything. He started everything off with, "I am a talker, people ask me the time and I tell them how to build a clock"

He literally spared nothing with his info. He had us show him our basic obedience with the pup and he just watched. Then he said. My turn! In minutes he had her obeying his every command. Sitting and staying for minutes at a time as we talked. Healing her and working her with the heeling stick. He constantly explained his every move and why he did it and what the pup is thinking. We have been working on obedience and using the whistle and he noticed our progress.

Then we moved to the check cord and he was doing facing sits and walking 20 30 ft and saying here. Then doing it with the whistle. Pretty cool. Then he showed how to teach down. Also showed how to use a heeling stick Properly.

Then he moved on to the live bird. He was amazed at how she just watched him with the bird in his hand while he talked. She just stayed out in front of him sitting. It seemed like a life time before he threw it. The pigeon went flying and she nailed it, grabbed it, and brought it straight back and placed it in his hand. Then sat next to his left leg and waited for the next one. He honestly, was shocked. He put the bird down and said," this is one of the nicest pups he has seen in years!" That was great to hear. Our first proud puppy moment.

He said without a doubt I would put money and time into this pup. He wanted to know where we got her. He said she has the drive. The learn. The smarts. She isn't tough (ear pinch). She is lean. Wants to please.

Did the starter pistol

The best part of the hole thing is Steve himself. He explained everything. He is friendly. Informative. He also brought a dog out that has been training with him to show his product.

Lastly, he will take your dog out to hunt or you bring him with you to your spot and you both can hunt and he will train your dog at the same time. My fiancé already is lining a hunt up with him. Steve says the more exposure we can get our pup to over the next 2 months (guns, birds, obedience) the easier the transition will be in the field. He says I should take her out all of January if all goes well and we follow the program but most of all not push it. After what he saw today he believes she should be going on some afternoon fun hunts this season.

Is there an I told you so button?
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
jmonte35
hunter

Postby spoonie_queen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:20 pm

jmonte35 wrote:
spoonie_queen wrote:Only one word WOW!

Did the starter pistol

Is there an I told you so button?

If there was I think you would hit the maximum amount of times allowed.

What a great experience.

Thanks for all the great advice and pointing me in the right direction.
spoonie_queen
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Hope it works out for you SQ. Good luck, have fun.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby Calikev » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:21 pm

If I am paying a trainer thousands and thousands of dollars that trainer better treat me well. I don't care how good someone is with dogs they don't have a right to be rude to customers. I'm glad some of you are ok with that but there are plenty of great trainers out there who will train your dog well and then be nice to you at the same time.

The price of respect is................well............priceless IMO.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby Winemaker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:04 pm

Calikev wrote: I don't care how good someone is with dogs they don't have a right to be rude to customers.

I agree with this statement, and the title of this thread references a trainer that I don't know, but that others report very good things about. I do also want to say that Jan Burkholder was not described as being rude in this thread, only "businesslike". Jan has trained several of the dogs that hunt at my club and in my two years of working with her I have never come away from the experience feeling slighted in any way. Until reading this post I have never heard anyone say otherwise, but feelings are personal and everyone should work with the people that they feel most comfortable working with in my opinion. Jan's qualifications and results speak for themselves in my opinion, but that's just me and the people I hunt with.

Spoonie Queen, I wish you tremendous success with your dog and I am sorry that your experience with Stonewall's two week puppy head start program was not what you expected it to be. :oops:
Winemaker
hunter

Postby spoonie_queen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Winemaker,

You said it perfectly. I could see a difference in our pup, no doubt. Just for me the interaction wasn't what I expected. I know she has a great track record and she will continue to for many years.

I have seen her at many expos and events and she always has a dog there and people talking to her.

I also could have been to quick to judge, maybe she had many appointments and needed to get the ball rolling, maybe there would be more conversation and showing in actual gun dog training.

Many variables, but I know coming from a sales and management background I would so everything to get a retune customer for the "big order" in this case would be me to come back for actual training.

To each his own. You all have been great and all the suggestions, opinions, and private messages are all greatly appreciated.
spoonie_queen
hunter

Postby Nabs » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:38 am

One of the things that most people do not realize is that the amount of money to train dogs is a mere pittance compared to what the associated costs are. Just an example, I paid about $900 a month (3.5 months) to Hightest to train Duncan, that is about $30 a day, out of that $30 they feed house and exercise my dog, they also spend an hour a day training him. Personally I like to see results, and I am quite happy with the results I got from hightest, I have a young dog that knows his commands and will be a great hunting partner for many years to come.
Nabs
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting