Hunting Don Edwards

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Hunting Don Edwards

Postby jbem77 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:16 pm

Hi,

I am new to California duck hunting and am wondering about hunting the Don Edwards NWR. I have looked around but have not found much information regarding this area. Does anyone know anything about this area or places near by? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
jbem77
Membership permanently suspended

Postby canadagoose » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:07 pm

From http://desfbay.fws.gov/basic.htm ...

The Refuge offers sites for waterfowl hunting mid-October to
mid-January. Check the California Waterfowl Regulations each
season for opening and closing dates. All hunting areas are
boat-access only, except for Ravenswood. Additional information
is available in the Visitor Center.

Additional details here

http://library.fws.gov/Refuges/SFBayHuntFish02.pdf

I live pretty close to the Ravenswood area, and although I've been tempted to wander over to check it out, I haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't have a boat, though, so it's probably not usable for me.
canadagoose
hunter

Ravenswood

Postby jbem77 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:47 am

I went and checked it out tonight. It was my first time duck hunting and needless to say I went home empty handed. I'm going out tomorrow morning to see If I can do any better. I figure the more time i spend in the field the more that I will learn. Thanks for the info.
jbem77

Postby canadagoose » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:49 pm

Which area did you go to? Did you use a boat, or just wander around?

I run out at Bair Island a fair bit here in Redwood City, and I've never seen as high a density of ducks there as I did in Los Banos recently.
canadagoose
hunter

Postby jbem77 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:43 am

I went to the Ravenswood area by the power station. There is a blind set up at one of the points and a spent some time there and walked a bit. I only saw a few ducks and they were way out of range. The area seems to be hunted quite extensively but its nice to get out. I just moved here from Arizona and have never hunted ducks until two days ago. I have done a lot of quail hunting and have always been interested in duck hunting. Since the ravenswood area is close i can get out there during the week when there are few people out there. I think I need to learn a bit more before i go out while other hunters are out there. The last thing I want to due is interfere with someone who knows what they are doing.

How is the Los Banos Area? I looked around and it there appears to be a number of refuges in that area. Do any have free roam areas or are they designated blinds? Every thing that I have read makes it seem hard to get reservations for a blind. Are there free roam areas on Bair Island? I have not heard anything about it in what I have read.

I don't have a boat or any decoys but by next season who knows. I'm trtyng to learn as much as I can during this season and hope to get my first duck.
jbem77

Return to California Duck Hunting