Best duck load for old guns?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Best duck load for old guns?

Postby Winemaker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:25 pm

I need to put an old Remington Model 1100 into service this season. Do any of you shoot bizmuth or tungsten in an older gun? If yes, then what would be your favorite 2 3/4" 12 gauge load and why? Thanks for sharing!
Winemaker
hunter

Re: Best duck load for old guns?

Postby Tommyo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:03 pm

what choke size is in place? that can be an issue.
Find a way when there is no way.
Tommyo
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 pm

With the way they are making steel shot shells now you are fine shooting 2 3/4 steel.. i shoot my old ithacas all the time with steel with a mod of IC choke

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:19 am

You can buy a barell for that 1100. If not, get ready to pay minimum 2.50-3.00 a round for non toxic non steel loads.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby Gomerking » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:26 am

I shoot an old double gun. I used to worry about damage and bought Tungsten and Bismuth but got sick of the cost. I opened the chokes by sending the barrels to Briley for thin wall chokes. Worth every penny. I now shoot steel and Hevimetal 2 3/4 loads with no issue. I do shoot smaller shot sizes though. 4s and 3s.

I've got some Tungsten and Bismuth I'd sell you for less than cost. ;-) PM me if interested...

GK
Earning Your Respect One Post at a Time

Dacowboy wrote:Jesus christ it's like the last day on Fiji with you guys on here.
Gomerking
hunter

Postby Winemaker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:48 am

Thanks for the replies. The choke is a modified barrel and it is great to know that the option to shoot steel is there too. I did shoot some steel through it back in the early 1990s before I learned about the barrel damage and you are right about the cost of the softer non-toxic shells, (I looked last night, ouch!). It can't really be worth it to shoot them in my opinion.
Winemaker
hunter

Postby Stickboy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:53 am

Take the suggestion above and get a new barrel. You can pick one up at cheaper than dirt for just over $200 and shoot up to 3" steel rounds if you want. There are a number of different forums that have taken up this topic. Even though the reciever isn't a magnum reciever you can shoot 3" with the new barrel. I know, doesn't sound like the best idea...but even if you dont' want to bump to 3" you can still throw 2-3/4" steel with no concerns.

good luck to ya.
Stickboy
hunter

Postby Dbag » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:10 am

Hevishot 2 3/4 no. 2 at Kittles for 23 dollars a box. Same deal at Rogers is 34.
Dbag
hunter

Postby Huntsprig » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:29 pm

I sent a email to Remington a while back about using steel shot in a older gun, this was their reply.

Thank you for visiting Remington Country! We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write in with your question.

You can shoot steel shot through any Remington barrel made since 1950. In a fixed full choke, you can shoot up to a size #2 pellet. Anything larger would not perform well out of a fixed full choke and could open up your muzzle over time.

Should you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our Consumer Services Department at 800-243-9700, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, EST, Monday through Friday.
Huntsprig
hunter

Postby Winemaker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Huntsprig wrote:I sent a email to Remington a while back about using steel shot in a older gun, this was their reply.

Thank you for visiting Remington Country! We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write in with your question.

You can shoot steel shot through any Remington barrel made since 1950. In a fixed full choke, you can shoot up to a size #2 pellet. Anything larger would not perform well out of a fixed full choke and could open up your muzzle over time.

Should you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our Consumer Services Department at 800-243-9700, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, EST, Monday through Friday.

Really? This is incredible info to me. There must have been a lot of misinformation going around about this for awhile. Thanks for sharing! :beer:
Winemaker
hunter

Postby Huntsprig » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Winemaker wrote:
Huntsprig wrote:I sent a email to Remington a while back about using steel shot in a older gun, this was their reply.

Really? This is incredible info to me. There must have been a lot of misinformation going around about this for awhile. Thanks for sharing! :beer:

Your welcome! :thumbsup:

Of course you don't have to take my word for it.
Write to them yourself.
http://remington.custhelp.com/app/ask
Tell them you have a 1100, give them the serial # and ask them if it is safe for steel shot.
Huntsprig
hunter

Postby Jim Dandy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:42 pm

I have been shooting steel shot, up to and including #2 3" mag, out of my 30 year old 1100 magnum with a fixed full choke barrel for years now. No problems at all, other than standard 1100 tempermentalness. I also bought a steel shot Remchoke barrel, but don't use it except for geese with larger shot. When the old hevi-steel was around, the 3" #6 in that 30" full choked barrel was super deadly on the ducks.

Dandy
Jim Dandy
hunter

Postby Winemaker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks Dandy,

It's great to know about this and I'm glad that I didn't load up on Bizmuth.
Winemaker
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:57 pm

I got pretty much the same reply for and older 870 years back.

shoot away! :thumbsup:
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Return to California Duck Hunting