Wilderness Unlimited

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, duckman2000

Wilderness Unlimited

Postby vbirddogs » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:21 pm

I got a call from a representative of Wilderness Unlimited tonight wanting to set up a meeting on their club. Does anyone know anything about this hunting club? Accesses, costs, availablity to quality hunting, etc?

If so, could you PM me?

Thanks
vbirddogs
hunter

Re: Wilderness Unlimited

Postby yellowlabhunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Hello...is this your only option to hunt anywhere? If you have no land or want to hunt refuges then its an ok deal. I am Still a member....but have my membership on hold. I rented a private blind in Colusa County which is in non-rice habitat. WU is fine for natural habitat like deer...dove..turkey ..bear..but waterfowl takes a lot of work to upkeep ponds and property....they don't do that well...in addition half the duck properties don't have water for the first few weeks....this is due to being at the mercy of rice farmers and their harvest time. If you have kids and want to take them its a nice option....I am a huge duck guy and they are not delivering for me!

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:49 am

Put your money to something else if waterfowl is what your after.
finsnfeathershunter
hunter

Postby bandedbrant » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Joined in march and have hunted it several times. Love the properties and everything they have to offer. Opens up a plethora of hunting options over the whole state and Oregon. Pigs and deer are great. Trying out duck hunting for the first time this season. PM if you have any questions about the club
bandedbrant
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:03 am

Good luck Brant! I hope most new members find the props fine....I know their other props such as everything except duck demands no upkeep.... their duck props....most are not so swell...blind and pond maintenance is lacking. Anyway good luck.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby biglips31 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Wilderness Unlimited is a piece of garbage! My hunting buddy and I got sucked into
joining many years ago with our families with a promise of awesome hunting properties.
All the boar hunting, deer hunting, and waterfowl properties your heart could desire... yeah right..

Look out for the good ol' boys in the club... Newbie's paying the dues for the oldtimers while they
get all the benefits. I won't get into specifics but if you ask me, this wildness unlimited isnt any different
than public land. Even worse, you have a whole set of new rules to even go hunting in the first place. I might
add for someone that works for a living, and has weekends available for the most part, this club is for sure
not for you.

Good luck but if I were you I would run the other way. :no:
biglips31
Newb

Postby yellowlabhunter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:48 pm

biglips31 wrote:Wilderness Unlimited is a piece of garbage! My hunting buddy and I got sucked into
joining many years ago with our families with a promise of awesome hunting properties.
All the boar hunting, deer hunting, and waterfowl properties your heart could desire... yeah right..

Look out for the good ol' boys in the club... Newbie's paying the dues for the oldtimers while they
get all the benefits. I won't get into specifics but if you ask me, this wildness unlimited isnt any different
than public land. Even worse, you have a whole set of new rules to even go hunting in the first place. I might
add for someone that works for a living, and has weekends available for the most part, this club is for sure
not for you.

Well you know what they say "One mans trash is....." you know where I was going. As I stated I was none to pleased with their waterfowl properties at all! They are unkempt and half flooded half the time. Their are only half the properties available early in the season due to no water or late rice harvest. Just because you flood a given area does not mean it will be good for waterfowl. Anyway...hunted most of their duck props and were average at best. They are not gaining props and barely holding on to the ones they have. It could be much better but there is not much effort....so I bought into a blind with buddies and can go 7 days a week...no fighting the phone and bring guests with no issues or questions asked. I too thought WU was going to be great for me but it was not. Maybe I ask for too much and I'm hard to please?

DaveDave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:28 pm

biglips31 wrote:Wilderness Unlimited is a piece of garbage! My hunting buddy and I got sucked into

not for you.

x2. Save your money. It's a scam. Anybody that tried to tell you otherwise is probably on the payroll for them.
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:46 pm

I was a member for 11 years, just dropped my membership this year. I won't bad mouth wu as I had some good times and hunts on their properties. I am primarily a waterfowl and pheasant hunter. The pheasant hunting on their properties sucks but that is the case for most of california. There is no great pheasant hunting anymore in Ca. Other maybe than a couple of private properties. They use to have some very good waterfowl properties but when the economy dumped and membership declined they lost probably half to 2/3 of the duck properties in N Ca and they haven't obtained any additional duck properties in several years. The duck properties that they acquire are in the southern part of Ca. In addition I never really liked the reservation system. You never knew who you would be in a blind with. Could be a great guy or a jerk. Mostly it was good guys. The hikes to some of the blinds are much longer than I want to do at this stage in my life. The maps are inaccurate and not to scale so on the map the blind may look like it is 100 yards from the parking but may be almost a mile. In addition when the weather come in good luck getting a blind thatt is productive.
I never hunted much big game there but the properties are fair to good big game props.
Lake Margaret is an awesome place to camp and trout fish. Great place to take the family
Overall if you join you need to have a lot of time to invest to make it worth it.
I left because I just didn't think it was worth my annual fee for the limited number of waterfowl properties and shooting a couple pheasant and I just didn't have the time to hunt enough to make it worth it. For example last year my partner and I hunted pheasant on 3seperate days. 5 to 6 hours each time hard hunting. Our labs are outstanding pheasant dogs. We flushed a total of 3 pheasant an shot 2. One of the days we hunted was opening day which is the most likely you will get pheasant and we got none. I only hunted ducks/geese on wu 4 times last year of 5 ducks.. It worked out for me to $200 a bird for duck and pheasant.
The people who say it is a good old boys club are just wrong, they don't know what they are talking about. I have several friends who have been members for a long long time and 2 of my buddies are patrolmen. They have never seen any good ol boy activity and neither have I in my 11 years. If you want honest knowledgable information on wu pm me with your questions. If you are retired and can spend a lot of time on the properties it's worth the $$$. It's especially worth it if you can hunt during the week. If you only hut it 4 or 5 or so times a season then it's a lot of money for a few birds.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby vbirddogs » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Lots of great comments. Thanks, I really appreciate it. Sounds like I'd be better off saving my money, or spending it on a decent membership at a reputable duck club.
vbirddogs
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:14 am

vbirddogs wrote:Lots of great comments. Thanks, I really appreciate it. Sounds like I'd be better off saving my money, or spending it on a decent membership at a reputable duck club.

At this point joining any club would only want to get you in the club as filler. The only blinds left would be pretty crappy.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting