NE opener

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

NE opener

Postby Silverwidgeon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:31 am

Surprised no one's put anything up, am i the only one that got into anything? 8 birds for my buddy and i. 2 pintail, 2 gaddy, 1 greenhead, 1 teal, 1 spoon, 1 ringneck. Place was a circus, thought i was gonna see a fight in the marsh, didn't get a bird till like 9, shoulda had more. But it wasn't exactly crawling with birds, kinda small numbers to be honest.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Re: NE opener

Postby Silverwidgeon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:32 am

oops nevermind, didn't see "pups first birds"
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:53 am

I too was surprised that nobody else put anything up.
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:29 am

Not much was open up there and with little water it's not even worth the trip for most. I let dad and the inlaw.

Where did you guys make It out. They went to Dakin and said it was real bad.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:47 am

Silverwidgeon wrote:Surprised no one's put anything up, am i the only one that got into anything? 8 birds for my buddy and i. 2 pintail, 2 gaddy, 1 greenhead, 1 teal, 1 spoon, 1 ringneck. Place was a circus, thought i was gonna see a fight in the marsh, didn't get a bird till like 9, shoulda had more. But it wasn't exactly crawling with birds, kinda small numbers to be honest.

I bet you the numbers arnt small on the refuges that were closed
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:39 am

Just got back from southern Oregon, a lot of dry ground in the basin, the hunter presence was not there, I'm sure the local economies suffered as well from the shut down, usually every year there is a line out the door at Walmart in k-falls but when I was in there Friday afternoon didn't even see another hunter. As far as the birds go, not a lot of ducks anywhere really, the worst year I have ever seen duckwise, my kid and I managed 7 mallards,1 gadwall, one gwt and one spec for two solid days of hunting, usually its lights out within 15 mins of shoot time, its the first time in thirty years I have not shot limits there, the ducks just are not there. We did see quite a bit of specks around though in the fields around us and northern high flying vees.
Take a kid hunting, the memories will last a lifetime.
duxnbass
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:33 am

I was at a cow pond per say, round abouts the Susansville area. Like spoonysmaker said i had the feeling that there were probably a decent amount of birds around, but due to shut offs and such there was not a lot pushing them around.
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Waterfowler7 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Hunted up near Bieber both Sat and Sunday. 3 of us got our two honkers both days. Good amount of ducks but lots of teal and gadwall. Not as many mallards as last year. Shooting honkers feet down is hard to beat.
Attachments
369 (800x279).jpg
291 (600x800).jpg
381 (800x600).jpg
Lock em "n" Rock em
Waterfowler7
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting