Llano Seco and Gray Lodge

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Llano Seco and Gray Lodge

Postby dirtmcgirt18 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:29 am

I pulled in ressies for both for the first Wednesday. Have absolutely no idea how to hunt these refuges, so any help would be good. Not asking for honey holes, but areas to stick to, or to stay away from would be great guys. PM's obviously are accepted. Any good tips could be reciprocated later in the year if I pull in another ressie and no one can go with me. Just throwin that out there! Thanks guys.
Top 5 Priorities:
1. Family
2. Hunting
3. Hunting
4. Hunting
5. Hunting
dirtmcgirt18
hunter

Re: Llano Seco and Gray Lodge

Postby sutterduckhunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:45 am

No blinds at Gray Lodge. There are a few blinds at Llano Seco so that may be your best bet on Wednesday. Those are two tough shooting refuges in the early part of the season. Good luck.
sutterduckhunter
hunter

Postby Waterfowler7 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:54 am

You can look at previous hunt results at both refuges on the dfg website. It should be pretty obvious where you should go unless your llano pick is top 5. Show up early, before numbers are being called, and talk to refuge staff. They will point you in the right direction. Graylodge has a lot more to offer than just the firing line. Good luck
Lock em "n" Rock em
Waterfowler7
hunter

Postby dirtmcgirt18 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:57 am

Waterfowler7 wrote:You can look at previous hunt results at both refuges on the dfg website. It should be pretty obvious where you should go unless your llano pick is top 5. Show up early, before numbers are being called, and talk to refuge staff. They will point you in the right direction. Graylodge has a lot more to offer than just the firing line. Good luck

I've been looking at the numbers for last season. Between the two, 2.79 and 2.38, not a huge difference. And the birds killed seem to be a bit better at Llano. I looked at the map of Llano, and it intrigues me. What are the blinds like out there? The assigned ponds? If I could just get some geographical help, it would be of great importance to me! I went to the Lodge two times, ended up not doing too well, even on opening day. So obviously I was in the wrong spots. I have low draws for both for Wednesday
Top 5 Priorities:
1. Family
2. Hunting
3. Hunting
4. Hunting
5. Hunting
dirtmcgirt18
hunter

Postby Wooduckschmuck » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

The lady who works the station at Llano Seco can give you some decent info- they also post the pond results from the previous week, so maybe they will have Sat and Sunday up by then? Depends on your draw, there are about 3 great ponds, 5 solid ponds and then the rest kinda go down from there. PM me if you want.
Wooduckschmuck
hunter

Postby zkalinowski » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:15 pm

^X2, the lady at the Llano check station (I always want to call her Debbie, but I think its Betty, correct me if I'm wrong) is BY FAR the most helpful person I have met since starting to hunt refuges. You may have already said this but what #'s did you pull? That doesn't necessarily make a monumental difference at Gray Lodge, but as far as Llano goes, its a pretty tough grind out there if you don't get one of the "good" spots. If you end up at the Lodge, be very sure to consult the water map, that will be your best friend this early in the season. I've hunted Llano a few times, and Gray Lodge tends to be my "if all else fails" spot. PM me if you have any more questions, I won't give you any x's, but I'm sure I could point you in the right direction if you are really lost. :beer: Happy Hunting!
All your spoonies are belong to us
zkalinowski
hunter

Postby rodzilla » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:44 pm

If I had a top 5 I would go to Llano, if not I would go to Gray, either way, it is just nice to get out... I'll be at gray on Wed hopefully not in the firing line although I have a top 10 there. If you are top 5 at llano send me a Pm I can give you some advise.
rodzilla
hunter

Postby dirtmcgirt18 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:48 am

im still holding out hope that the government will reopen before wednesday, because I drew low at Delevan. But if not, I'll hit Llano or the Lodge. Llano I have #10, and the Lodge, I'm under #15. Is it even worth it to hit Llano with a 10?
Top 5 Priorities:
1. Family
2. Hunting
3. Hunting
4. Hunting
5. Hunting
dirtmcgirt18
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:29 pm

dirtmcgirt18 wrote:im still holding out hope that the government will reopen before wednesday, because I drew low at Delevan. But if not, I'll hit Llano or the Lodge. Llano I have #10, and the Lodge, I'm under #15. Is it even worth it to hit Llano with a 10?

I'd be looking at it the other way around.... the bad thing about a low number at Gray lodge is you'll get set up and by shoot time you'll be completely surrounded by people and not a single bird will get thru to you.

Llano on the other hand has a decent amount of decent assigned ponds along with blinds. Just my .02
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby dirtmcgirt18 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:35 pm

spoonysmaker wrote:
dirtmcgirt18 wrote:im still holding out hope that the government will reopen before wednesday, because I drew low at Delevan. But if not, I'll hit Llano or the Lodge. Llano I have #10, and the Lodge, I'm under #15. Is it even worth it to hit Llano with a 10?

I'd be looking at it the other way around.... the bad thing about a low number at Gray lodge is you'll get set up and by shoot time you'll be completely surrounded by people and not a single bird will get thru to you.

Llano on the other hand has a decent amount of decent assigned ponds along with blinds. Just my .02

Yeah, I know. I am leaning towards Llano anyways. Just keeping all options open as of right now. Probably will hit Llano. Like I've said before. Never been there, and would love to check it out. It's the first Wednesday, it can't be that bad. If Delevan is open, I'm goin there. But if not, Llano is more than likely my choice. I'd prefer the crappiest assigned pond over being crowded in on by a bunch of disrespectful hunters on the free roam.
Top 5 Priorities:
1. Family
2. Hunting
3. Hunting
4. Hunting
5. Hunting
dirtmcgirt18
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting