Scouting

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Scouting

Postby msheldon8 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:21 am

I hear a lot about the importance of scouting and plan to do more of it this year. Just have a couple questions...when do you typically scout and how often? I also was wondering when are you allowed to be on refuges to scout? Non shoot days? Before the season? Thanks.
msheldon8
hunter

Re: Scouting

Postby spoonysmaker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:13 am

msheldon8 wrote:I hear a lot about the importance of scouting and plan to do more of it this year. Just have a couple questions...when do you typically scout and how often? I also was wondering when are you allowed to be on refuges to scout? Non shoot days? Before the season? Thanks.

Do it in the afternoon after your morning hunt. They do not allow you in the hunt area on non shoot days
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Afternoons might be ok but you can do better walking in on a Sunday morning during the slow month. Carry a very small sack of blocks, water, food, gun, shells, etc. The good spots Sunday morning are more than likely the great spots wednesday and saturday.
Stay in the lot @ shooting time with a 8' plus ladder and listen/watch whats going on. Write down on your map where you hear the "action" and check it out after the party is over. It's a good way to pin point existing flyways. Waiting in the lot is kinda like" having sex and not finishing" but it will save you scouting time and worth the wait. Very few younger guys have the patience to hold and just figure they can tool around after the birds stop flying.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Maybe it's just me I don't know. But when I hear shooting I'm usually going to look somewhere else.
Call me crazy, But I tend to stay as far away from other peoples haunts as I can get. The ducks those guys are shooting at are coming from somewhere and going somewhere. Find the flight path and a likely area in that path that looks "ducky" As FAR from anyone as you can possibly get.
Then go to work.
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby friedcoot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:43 pm

I certainly agree with you #1 on the flyways but not sure if just finding them always works. I've shot a few spots in my days directly under fly zones only to watch the birds bomb into the same spots and get executed. Certainly we all like that sense of "alone" when chasing fowl but it oftentimes becomes a case of location. Almost like real estate. California refuge and private hunting locations have highly valued spots and not so highly valued spots. You can have a spot right under a major flyway and maybe get lucky on a windy rainy day or be lucky everyday if your where they want to land at the end of their flight.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Shooting wide » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Here is how I did it.

Carry as little as possible, just a half dozen dekes. Bring enough to drink, and be ready to move if possible and can do so without disturbing other hunters. Carry your GPS if you have it, and start a spreadsheet with conditions such as wind and temp, what sort of ducks you saw, etc.

Next time out do the same thing somewhere else, and keep going until you find some spots. Conditions change every year, and while one pond may be the hotspot the previous year, the next it may be a different one, and not the spot where everyone and their brother goes (cough, cough, Hourglass, cough cough).
Shooting wide
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting