Hey FNG who might post up...

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Hey FNG who might post up...

Postby slowshooter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:29 pm

FNG publicly posts:
Hi, I have never hunted "X" refuge. Not looking for spots. But could use some advice!

Appropriate answer:
1. Read the regulation manual.
2. Get there the night before and ask questions if there is staff manning the place.
3. Go out there and do the work to determine where the ducks are if you go into free roam.
4. Move or come back on another day to see if you were right...
5. Look at past performance for blinds if you are into that sort of thing.
6. Whatever you do.... DON'T show up and make everyone behind you miserable while you play 20 questions with the staff. You should be checking in and getting the hell out the door and into the field.
7. Have fun .

That is all.
Last edited by slowshooter on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: Hey FNG who might post up...

Postby takemnow » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:32 pm

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
takemnow
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:57 am

now lets be fair, there are check stations where staff moves like.........well something really slow.....won't name names, but sometimes you wonder why the 5th guy is sitting in the window but not helping anyone...
darkwater27
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:22 pm

slowshooter wrote:FNG publicly posts:
Hi, I have never hunted "X" refuge. Not looking for spots. But could use some advice!

Appropriate answer:
1. Read the regulation manual.
2. Get there the night before and ask questions if there is staff manning the place.
3. Go out there and do the work to determine where the ducks are if you go into free roam.
4. Move or come back on another day to see if you were right...
5. Look at past performance for blinds if you are into that sort of thing.
6. Whatever you do.... DON'T show up and make everyone behind you miserable while you play 20 questions with the staff. You should be checking in and getting the hell out the door and into the field.
7. Have fun .

That is all.

Holy Crap!! Mark the calendar. I think we found the one thing we actually agree on. :grooving:
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby Shooting wide » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:42 pm

I think that what a lot of people do not realize is that duck hunting is not like the heavily edited YouTube videos out there, nor is is like the hunting shows.

My first day hunting was out at Grizzly, opening day afternoon, at the ripe old age of 37. My cousin took me out, and I ended up getting 4, a mallard and 3 wigeon.

Those were the last ducks I got for 2 months, hunting every weekend after that.

My second year I again went months without a duck, and almost a month without a single shot being fired. I ended up watching and listening, and now I have my A, B, and C spots I go to. 2 years ago I averaged 3.6 birds a day at Grizzly, which I think is pretty decent, and out of the near 60 birds only 3 were crap ducks. All of them in spots I scouted. Spots I found. Spots I learned about by going where there was not folks and watching the birds.

I don't blame guys for being eager, or wanting an X. I think a lot of emphasis needs to be put on scouting and sportsmanship. Not pushing in on folks. Not calling over folks or bad calling. Know when to call and when to shut up. Work on bird ID. Letting the birds get close. Pasing on shots outside of range to let birds work. It is tough to not be snarky when I have put in hours learning and watching, but perhaps new guys should be open to realizing that it is not going to be "hammer time in the marsh" very often. A day learning will be valuable in the long run.

I tend to think duck hunting is an art, where the best guys all have their little techniques, and those are all learned through experience.
Shooting wide
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:51 pm

some dfg check station dudes and dudettes won't shut up!!
PH
puddlehunter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:13 am

Shooting wide wrote:I think that what a lot of people do not realize is that duck hunting is not like the heavily edited YouTube videos out there, nor is is like the hunting shows.

My first day hunting was out at Grizzly, opening day afternoon, at the ripe old age of 37. My cousin took me out, and I ended up getting 4, a mallard and 3 wigeon.

Those were the last ducks I got for 2 months, hunting every weekend after that.

My second year I again went months without a duck, and almost a month without a single shot being fired. I ended up watching and listening, and now I have my A, B, and C spots I go to. 2 years ago I averaged 3.6 birds a day at Grizzly, which I think is pretty decent, and out of the near 60 birds only 3 were crap ducks. All of them in spots I scouted. Spots I found. Spots I learned about by going where there was not folks and watching the birds.

I don't blame guys for being eager, or wanting an X. I think a lot of emphasis needs to be put on scouting and sportsmanship. Not pushing in on folks. Not calling over folks or bad calling. Know when to call and when to shut up. Work on bird ID. Letting the birds get close. Pasing on shots outside of range to let birds work. It is tough to not be snarky when I have put in hours learning and watching, but perhaps new guys should be open to realizing that it is not going to be "hammer time in the marsh" very often. A day learning will be valuable in the long run.

I tend to think duck hunting is an art, where the best guys all have their little techniques, and those are all learned through experience.

Great post!

The effort extended in getting experience is a multiplier for success.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby afmotorsports » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:23 am

slowshooter wrote:....That is all.

Ha. Still working on that 'grumpy old man' routine, huh? :lol3: If people only knew you and how you bend over backwards for FNGs... like me! :biggrin: And aren't you hunting the opener from a boat anyway? Come over this weekend and help me install the blind... you grumpy old man, you...
afmotorsports
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:59 am

afmotorsports wrote:
slowshooter wrote:....That is all.

Ha. Still working on that 'grumpy old man' routine, huh? :lol3: If people only knew you and how you bend over backwards for FNGs... like me! :biggrin: And aren't you hunting the opener from a boat anyway? Come over this weekend and help me install the blind... you grumpy old man, you...

He just may show up with J P Morgan trailing behind banging on a cymbol.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Methinks it's going to be a dry hunt.

Those guys need to change their name to "tea party poopers".
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Since this thread has been made why has there been 3 threads asking these exact questions. :fingerhead:

Hi this my 10th post where should I go at x refuge. Tell me and I will bring you out with me later. Lol.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:51 am

Internet scouting works pretty well if some dude wants to validate themselves in front of a crowd. Mainly because there is always a guy that will give up the goods to look like a hero.

Plenty of guys here would probably be happy to help others via PMs. Maybe... maybe... mayyyyybeeeeee

Next up... How to look like a doofus by posting your bird counts. :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:01 am

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know how well I did last year. My duck count was in the 950 range and geese I stopped counting at 600. It was an average year. :mrgreen:
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:23 am

B.E.Nelli wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know how well I did last year. My duck count was in the 950 range and geese I stopped counting at 600. It was an average year. :mrgreen:

Don't forget to show pictures of your ponds with readily identifiable landscapes, or post up pictures of your front yard with the ducks laid out - so we can see your address. We already know what day you are not likely not to be there. Just leave a window open, someone will let themselves in.

:lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:27 am

slowshooter wrote:Internet scouting works pretty well if some dude wants to validate themselves in front of a crowd. Mainly because there is always a guy that will give up the goods to look like a hero.

Plenty of guys here would probably be happy to help others via PMs. Maybe... maybe... mayyyyybeeeeee

Next up... How to look like a doofus by posting your bird counts. :lol3:

The only reason I post those is because it won't let me load pictures in the sig section. Lol.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:44 pm

slowshooter wrote: .....Next up... How to look like a doofus by posting your bird counts. :lol3:

Wait....ummm.....you mean nobody will be impressed that I shot almost 70 spoonies last season? :huh: :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:46 pm

Spoonies are Grassland Monarchs - because they rule the straps down there!
:lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:04 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
slowshooter wrote: .....Next up... How to look like a doofus by posting your bird counts. :lol3:

Wait....ummm.....you mean nobody will be impressed that I shot almost 70 spoonies last season? :huh: :lol3:

I'm impressed!

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting