Gov vetoed assault weapon ban bill, but signed Lead Ammo Ban

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Gov vetoed assault weapon ban bill, but signed Lead Ammo Ban

Postby LeakyW8ers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:25 pm

If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Re: Gov vetoed assault weapon ban bill, but signed Lead Ammo

Postby fish dog » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Time for Cal Guns, NRA and etc. to file suit and prove in court there is no scientific basis for this and get it overturned.

Also would be nice to recall old moonbeam but I'm afraid there are too many libs in the state for that.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Pretty prrdictable. In the end we will be fine..I remember when steel shot was mandated for waterfowl and everyone was talking how it would be the end of hunting... it wasnt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:43 pm

I must say that I was very surprised. I thought for sure that he would have signed the assault weapons reclassification & registration bill. I guess you win some, you loose some.

I'm not looking forward to this lead ban. My .17 Remington will be useless, and crow hunting with steel is going to get real expensive. :mad:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:02 am

Yeah. It's going to be interesting finding out what we're gonna do for the 17 and pretty much everything else.

The ranges are going to be busy as crap.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:25 am

There is a good bit of news here.

All the asshats that hoarded lead ammo. Eat it suckers.
And for all the guys that were hoarding AR parts? <nelson_laugh> Haa haaa! </nelson_laugh>

You can eat it too double suckers...

There. I feel better. :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:16 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:34 am

slowshooter wrote:There is a good bit of news here.

And for all the guys that were hoarding AR parts? <nelson_laugh> Haa haaa! </nelson_laugh>

It said by 2019...so hopefully they have some time to use it.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:33 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:
slowshooter wrote:There is a good bit of news here.

It said by 2019...so hopefully they have some time to use it.

I seriously doubt that those guys who are hoarding all of that 9mm, .45 acp, and 5.56mm military ball type ammo ever had any intent on using it for hunting as it is already illegal to take most game animals with a fmj type bullet, leaded or not.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:53 pm

slowshooter wrote:Yeah. It's going to be interesting finding out what we're gonna do for the 17 and pretty much everything else.

The ranges are going to be busy as crap.

I think there has already been lead free ammo available for the .17 hmr, but I haven't found any component bullets that I can load into my 17 rem..
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:58 pm

yep, it was a win and a loss for us. I to am surprised the "assault weapon" stuff didn't pass. good for brown.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:07 pm

I wonder if moonbeam or any of the lobbyists that supported the lead free deal... Have stock in Barnes bullets? They've had a great expanding lead free bullet for a while. Might monopolize the Cali market now

http://www.americanrifleman.org/mobile/ ... p?id=24875
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Tyrtruion wrote:I wonder if moonbeam or any of the lobbyists that supported the lead free deal... Have stock in Barnes bullets? They've had a great expanding lead free bullet for a while. Might monopolize the Cali market now

http://www.americanrifleman.org/mobile/ ... p?id=24875

Back when the original DFG lead ban hearings were going on there was a big stink at another forum I frequent because there was a video of the hearings posted on the internet where a rep from Barnes showed up and basically helped seal the deal on the lead ban. He claimed that they were ready to meet the demand and that their products wouldn't cost the hunters of California any more than what they were already spending........complete and utter bullshift. They had (and still do) have unfilled gaps in their product lines, only very common calibers have lead free factory offerings, and the price is much higher than what the average hunter normally pays. After a landslide of emails sent to the Brooks' that video was seemingly wiped from the internet. I have never been able to find it again. I imagine the minutes of the meeting would be available if a guy were to do some digging.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:05 pm

I really don't care about the new law. I'm still going to use lead.
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Privileged hunter wrote:I really don't care about the new law. I'm still going to use lead.

Smart thing to post on a public form. :huh:
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Like I said dont care
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Privileged hunter wrote:Like I said dont care

Cool, pm me your home address so I can save the state the money that they would normally spend backtracking your IP address or your Digital Thumbprint. :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Maybe you guys just don't know how Privileged he really is.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:12 am

quack-attack wrote:Pretty prrdictable. In the end we will be fine..I remember when steel shot was mandated for waterfowl and everyone was talking how it would be the end of hunting... it wasnt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

But we could still use our lead shot for upland game. I still have at least 100lbs. of lead shot and enough primers, hulls, and wads to last until I expire from lead exposure or other toxins our government decides will kill me.

Lead concentrations over marshlands and the impact on the food chain to the Eagle was why we banned lead in waterfowl loads. The eagles kept eating those spoonies and ruddy's which were very fond of mud holes with the only hard substance for their gizzards being #4 lead. For the Governor to take a chapter out of George Bird Grinnells book, American Duck Shooting (1901) and compare those readings to current situations is out right pathetic.
Birds need grit for their gizzards. A upland bird is not going to pick up a bunch of lead pellets when it can get much better choices on dry land.

My guess is that the Condors are getting lead from another source but without further data, I can't say. But, Governor Brown and all his little friends can. It would of been nice to see a clause that allowed for further research and that if other sources of lead could not be traced, the ban would be approved.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:16 am

I'm wondering if the politicians are already trying to figure out how to use Pittmann-Robertson funds to buy back or trade our ammunition for non=toxic as Brown mentions in his statement ?
friedcoot
hunter

Postby vbirddogs » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:02 am

slowshooter wrote:
Privileged hunter wrote:Like I said dont care

Cool, pm me your home address so I can save the state the money that they would normally spend backtracking your IP address or your Digital Thumbprint. :lol3:

I doubt the DFG will follow this post and sit outside this guys house for weeks on end waiting for him to go hunting so they can pop him for using lead and give him a $30 fine, or whatever it is.

Thing you duck hunters don't realize is that for those of us who use rifles and pistols regularly this almost triples the cost of ammo. Not all of us are city dwellers and live in rural areas where we can shoot/hunt regularly. I can go out and use a 90 or 100 gr. lead core bullet in my .243 for coyotes and not spend much money; around $17 box/20. That same box with the non-lead core will cost me $50-$60. Same price increase for all my rifles. The cost to just sight in my rifle now, or shoot at the range, will drastically increase.

For me, I see this as just one more step the government is using to incrementally take away hunting and shooting rights. And they use lame, outdated, inaccurate data to support their cause. The ignorant public doesn't know better. Hell, more raptors are killed by all the electric wind farms around the State than by all other raptor death causes combined. Remember, it's all about incremental, little changes year after year. Those who make these statements, "Oh, we'll be okay", or "Oh, it's not that bad", you really need to look at the whole picture and progression of how the left is pushing to make gun ownership, hunting and shooting almost non-existant in Calif. They will do it through changing firearm laws and through continual increases in ammo costs.
vbirddogs
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:46 am

Those who make these statements, "Oh, we'll be okay", or "Oh, it's not that bad", you really need to look at the whole picture and progression of how the left is pushing to make gun ownership, hunting and shooting almost non-existant in Calif. They will do it through changing firearm laws and through continual increases in ammo costs.

in other words some people need to WAKE THE F**K UP. they are having a half off sale on clues at the 99 cents store some people should head on over a get one.
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby NorCalDuckHunter24 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:08 pm

I agree galicsalt. Too many liberal attitudes . The lead ban is just bullsheet. Wake up anything against guns or ammo is bs. Better wake the **** up. UNLESS YOU LIKE THIS COMMIE BULLSHIT
NorCalDuckHunter24
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Hopefully the NRA and Cal Guns can get this lead bullet and shot ban for hunting done away with.

Having to shoot lead free bullets in some .224 cal rifles and smaller can be very difficult. Lead free bullets are much longer than lead bullets are of the same weight so quite a few of the bolt action .224 center fire rifles have to slow of a twist to shoot most of the lead free bullets.

If you barrel twist is 1-12" or 1-14" twist I hope you don't mind shooting 35 gr to 40 gr lead free bullets out of the rifles that you have been shooting 55 gr lead bullets out of.

The 6mm Varmint Lead Free bullets are 55 gr and 62 gr. These bullet weights have to be low so that the bullet will not be too long.

The only lead free 22 LR rim-fire ammo I have tried does not group very well at all. Some of the squirrels I did hit with it were not very impressed and decided to run down into their holes.

If you want to buy a 223 Rem, 22-250 or 220 Swift make sure it has a 1-9" twist rate or faster. 1-8" twist would be better. If you have or buy a slower twist you will have to shoot the light 35 gr to 40 gr lead free bullets. Not very many .224 cal center-fire bolt action rifles with fast twist rates "1-9 inch or faster" are being made by the manufacturers.

Unless you plan on changing the barrel on a 22-250 or 220 swift I would but a 243 Win instead so you can shoot 55 gr to 62 gr lead free varmint bullets.

For quite a few of the most popular calibers the only lead free bullets available are copper big game bullets that cost 3 to 4 times more than lead bullets do.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby hdunn49 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:29 pm

shocked that the assault type ban didn't get signed. that's awesome. as for the lead crap, that sucks. time to start spending more money on shells to shoot little birds!
hdunn49
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting