Federal refuges to open tomorrow

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Federal refuges to open tomorrow

Postby bucksprig » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Just got news that Federal refuges nationwide will re-open tomorrow for hunting. Can anyone else confirm this? Read it online from Pheasants forever.
bucksprig
hunter

Re: Federal refuges to open tomorrow

Postby jmonte35 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Those are waterfowl production areas. Doubtful it will have any effect on the areas out here. Those are basically our type C areas. We'll see as more info comes out.
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
Suisun Marsh D.U. Chapter Chairman
2013 3rd annual Military Appreciation Dinner Date TBD
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SuisunMarshDU
www.suisunmarshdu.com (website down until we have next years date and info nailed down)
jmonte35
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:10 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... n/2966785/

The state will have to PAY to open them. Everyone send letters to Gov. Jerry Brown!! The communities where these refuges are need the foot traffic to survive!
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby stew870 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 pm

home > news media > news : news headline
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Reopens Waterfowl Production Areas
SIGN IN PRINT AAA DU News RSS

Due to the ongoing lapse in Congressional appropriations, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service made the decision to close all facilities and lands to public use. The closure comes at an extremely difficult time with hunting seasons just underway, fall migratory bird migrations at their peak, and hundreds of communities forced to cancel events as part of National Wildlife Refuge Week. With approximately 78 percent of its employees furloughed, we determined it would be difficult for the remaining, non-furloughed workforce to ensure the safety of facilities, lands, and resources, in a manner that incurs no further financial obligation to the U.S. Government.

Despite limited staffing, the Service has undertaken an assessment to determine what, if any, potential exists to open lands to public use consistent with our obligations under the government-wide shutdown. It has been determined that allowing public access to Waterfowl Production Areas (WPAs) will not incur further government expenditure or obligation and is allowable under a government shutdown. Therefore, effective immediately, all WPAs will reopen to public use.

As the shutdown continues, if the Service determines that maintaining the WPAs in open status, individually or cumulatively, would likely cause Service expenditures or obligations to be made in violation of the Anti-Deficiency Act, the Service will close public access.

Additional information about the Service’s efforts to support conservation on national wildlife refuges can be found at http://www.fws.gov/ which will be operational after the shutdown ends. Shutdown-related information continues to be available at www.DOI.gov/shutdown.

The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a leader and trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for our scientific excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated professionals and commitment to public service.

703-358-2521
bruce_decker@fws.gov
The grass is greener where you water it .
stew870
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:00 am

stew870 wrote:home > news media > news : news headline
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Reopens Waterfowl Production Areas
SIGN IN PRINT AAA DU News RSS

Due to the ongoing lapse in Congressional appropriations, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service made the decision to close all facilities and lands to public use. The closure comes at an extremely difficult time with hunting seasons just underway, fall migratory bird migrations at their peak, and hundreds of communities forced to cancel events as part of National Wildlife Refuge Week. With approximately 78 percent of its employees furloughed, we determined it would be difficult for the remaining, non-furloughed workforce to ensure the safety of facilities, lands, and resources, in a manner that incurs no further financial obligation to the U.S. Government.

Despite limited staffing, the Service has undertaken an assessment to determine what, if any, potential exists to open lands to public use consistent with our obligations under the government-wide shutdown. It has been determined that allowing public access to Waterfowl Production Areas (WPAs) will not incur further government expenditure or obligation and is allowable under a government shutdown. Therefore, effective immediately, all WPAs will reopen to public use.

As the shutdown continues, if the Service determines that maintaining the WPAs in open status, individually or cumulatively, would likely cause Service expenditures or obligations to be made in violation of the Anti-Deficiency Act, the Service will close public access.

Additional information about the Service’s efforts to support conservation on national wildlife refuges can be found at http://www.fws.gov/ which will be operational after the shutdown ends. Shutdown-related information continues to be available at http://www.DOI.gov/shutdown.

The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a leader and trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for our scientific excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated professionals and commitment to public service.

703-358-2521
bruce_decker@fws.gov

Is this real?
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:05 am

These are Wildlife Production Areas. NOT National Wildlife Refuges. They are 2 completely separate entities, and hunting is NOT allowed on Wildlife Production Areas.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:10 am

LeakyW8ers wrote:These are Wildlife Production Areas. NOT National Wildlife Refuges. They are 2 completely separate entities, and hunting is NOT allowed on Wildlife Production Areas.

Well it's a step in a direction that involves the refuges
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:35 am

spoonysmaker wrote:
LeakyW8ers wrote:These are Wildlife Production Areas. NOT National Wildlife Refuges. They are 2 completely separate entities, and hunting is NOT allowed on Wildlife Production Areas.

Well it's a step in a direction that involves the refuges

:beer:
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:34 am

States are looking for alternative funding to open their parks. Hopefully California can find some.

The closedown is disintegrating local economies. The areas around Yosemite that were dependent on tourism were already devastated by the Rim Fire - and now they are paying the costs associated with a manufactured crisis created by the southern states. There are going to be shuttered businesses there.

No idea what effect the local economies around the Grasslands/Sac complex are going feel but certainly it won't be good.

If any of you are feeling like taking a drive this weekend. Swing by a restaurant or business that might be trying to survive - those Yosemite communities sure could use a little love.

Right now buying a lunch or two could mean that the owner gets to eat as well.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:25 am

slowshooter wrote:States are looking for alternative funding to open their parks. Hopefully California can find some.

The closedown is disintegrating local economies. The areas around Yosemite that were dependent on tourism were already devastated by the Rim Fire - and now they are paying the costs associated with a manufactured crisis created by the southern states. There are going to be shuttered businesses there.

No idea what effect the local economies around the Grasslands/Sac complex are going feel but certainly it won't be good.

If any of you are feeling like taking a drive this weekend. Swing by a restaurant or business that might be trying to survive - those Yosemite communities sure could use a little love.

Right now buying a lunch or two could mean that the owner gets to eat as well.

Agreed! Be sure to write Gov. Brown and at least voice these concerns. You never know what might help.
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby vbirddogs » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:34 pm

How about opening these refuges with the MONEY I SPENT ON MY SEASON A PASS AND ALL THE MONEY I PUT IN THE SYSTEM FOR THE 10 REFUGES I PUT IN FOR DRAWINGS FOR THE SEASON!!!!
vbirddogs
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:29 pm

vbirddogs wrote:How about opening these refuges with the MONEY I SPENT ON MY SEASON A PASS AND ALL THE MONEY I PUT IN THE SYSTEM FOR THE 10 REFUGES I PUT IN FOR DRAWINGS FOR THE SEASON!!!!

You accidentally hit caps lock or are you just furious? :hi:
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby vbirddogs » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:47 pm

That's just the part of my post that I was trying to emphasize. :smile:
vbirddogs
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:48 pm

RefugeRat4Life wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/10/11/utah-national-parks-reopen-government-shutdown/2966785/

The state will have to PAY to open them. Everyone send letters to Gov. Jerry Brown!! The communities where these refuges are need the foot traffic to survive!

If we are relying on Jerry Brown we are fuct :lol3: :hammer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:41 am

wanapasaki wrote:
RefugeRat4Life wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/10/11/utah-national-parks-reopen-government-shutdown/2966785/

If we are relying on Jerry Brown we are fuct :lol3: :hammer:

He works with CA Waterfowl a lot. Not who I would want as Gov. but that is out of my hands.....
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting