Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hunting near Monterey, Ca

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  friedcoot 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I am in the Marine Corps and moved to California from North Carolina this past summer. I am originally from Virginia and am an avid duck hunter and am looking for some insight on where to hunt near Monterey. I have heard the horror stories of Moss Landing and the Salinas river areas. Went out to Moss Landing this past weekend and saw a lot of ducks. Where does a guy gotta go to shoot some ducks out here? I booked three guided hunts but would like to get to know the area and find some decent locations without having to pay. I have heard that Los Banos is pretty good but have no idea how to get in that area? Do you have to draw a permit? I have seen a lot of reservoirs on the map and am wondering if these places hold any ducks and if you can even hunt them. Any information is greatly appreciated and hope you all have a great opening day this weekend.

Thanks,
Donnie

#2 ·
Hi and welcome to this. Thanks for serving. I can help a bit so PM me if you choose.

Both Moss and Salinas can be hunted and are not that bad since you are so close. Los Banos around the city with the same name hunts Wed, Sat,Sun. You do not need reservations but they help of course.

Hey if you fish you are very close to the action on party boats from Monterey.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.