Are you still passionate?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Re: Are you still passionate?

Postby nateellis » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:14 pm

yellow lab hunter I totally get you

After you have killed enough birds, hunted tons of places and seen most of what waterfowling has to offer it does loose some of its shine. I am with you.

what still makes if fun is taking my wife and her friend (she just got her license) out. Meeting new friends and trying to have a new adventure.

it becomes chasing new experience not about killing ducks...that becomes the by product

Sometimes hunting alone sometimes with friends sometimes with family...sometimes a new place sometimes a place I have not seen in years. look for new cool experience that challenge or you will end up a golfer!
show me the ducks
nateellis
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:45 pm

To All,

Thanks for your sincerity. Its nice to hear your stories and philosophical approaches. You know when I give more thought there was plenty of great ideas you all gave. Taking kids...you know there sure isn't the kids who hunt like when I was young...it has become a lost art/sport among kids...at least in this region. But I get what you all mean. I think what happened along the way....I didn't choose to have kids...my wife and decided just not to. So maybe I lost something along the way....right or wrong. I was the youngest of 8 and dirt poor...so I didnt have any. I love them but chose a quiet life to come and go as I please. Maybe mid life is catching me off guard and my quiet, peaceful life has been just that...and I didn't spread the experiences I learned? Well, I hope we all have a fruitful, healthy season. We are safe and respectful. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby bugman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Hey yellowlabhunter -

Consider teaching hunter education classes. I began 3 years ago and have loved it completely. The classes have kids through old guys wanting to hunt out of state but missing their certifications. Often you get to give what you've learned to the next generation. These kids are now my new "kids". I tell them that if they see me at a check station, remind me that they were in one of my classes and I'll take them out and show them around the refuge and where to hunt. I think you'd rediscover the passions there.
bugman
hunter

Postby speczilla » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:12 am

Been through this myself. Got burned out and hunted just 5x's a year for a few years until the passion came back. Take some time off, or hunt different terrain with different people like others have suggested. I believe that once you have the bug it will dissipate at times but the fire never goes out.

My old man is 78 and for the first time in his life he went to Canada to hunt this fall. He loved it as it was something new. He hunted his first refuge at the age of 73 - loved it because it was new. Hell he hunted the mud at Joice Island (back when it was bad a few years ago at 75) and liked it because we had a good hunt and to say that he will never hunt something like that again in his life.

BD58 and Kev have given great suggestions as usual.
speczilla
hunter

Postby John Duck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:10 pm

I think hunting solo is the pure aspect of the sport and the best overall. I know some that simply cannot go solo and they see waterfowling as this sport with mulitible guns firing and no one knowing who hit what. Most of the ol timers I know hunt solo, but that seems to be on the decrease. Maybe after solo video games all night they want to be with people? I think many are afraid of the outdoors.
John Duck
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:38 pm

I know what you mean. I've felt that way on and off for the past few years. My youngest son is now old enough to go with me and is really showing interest. He's been my fishing buddy for a couple years, but I haven't gotten him out to the marsh yet. He's 8 years old, and I suppose the main reason is that the last couple of years have been a little rough on the wallet so I haven't been able to afford the waders and jacket for him. I'd love to get him out there this season. My season got delayed until December because of a pay cut at work, but maybe I'll be able find some cheap used gear for him.

I hope you get your passion back. I know I want mine back too. One of these days you'll have an epic hunt and it will all come back to you. Part of for me is just coming back to this forum. It's been quite a while since I was active on here. Cheers!
Mattquack
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:41 am

I kind of went through this a few years ago as well.
For me it was because of a injury , hunting hurts these days , I personally had to lower my expectations and learn to hunt with what I got..........and learn to slow down and take things for what they are.
Try changing things up, like dropping down to a 20 Ga with #4 shot so you have to get the birds in closer, hunt over fewer but nicer decoys.........improve your calling skills.
Working birds in close with a call is the best part of hunting to me.
Pretty much decide that hunting is just a good excuse to get out of the house to stretch your legs and to watch the sun rise.
Having good friends or family so share the day with is awesome as well.
Then when you do have a good hunt you appreciate it much more. :yes: :beer:

Just take it easy and go out and have some fun ! :beer:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:04 am

For me, I've found that when 'The Blue funk' begins to set in, something as simple as the change of seasons can start the cure, but a change in the weather can really recharge the old passion in me like nothing else.
Let a good cold wind come up, and a few flakes start flying, and I know the next day will see scads of new birds show up along the river sloughs, and the day after that will see big flocks of Honkers slowly making their way down that river over the adjoining fields looking for company. It's then that a couple of dozen decoys and a flag will see the big bodied fowl lock up and slide down over your set until their legs drop, the sound of heavy wings backpedaling, and then....................
I think I will have the passion long after the body can support it. There is nothing like the call of wild geese on a Moonlit night, drifting through an open widow, to trouble the sleep, and rouse the soul.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:07 am

[quote="Fsbirdhouse"]For me, I've found that when 'The Blue funk' begins to set in, something as simple as the change of seasons can start the cure, but a change in the weather can really recharge the old passion in me like nothing else.
Let a good cold wind come up, and a few flakes start flying, and I know the next day will see scads of new birds show up along the river sloughs, and the day after that will see big flocks of Honkers slowly making their way down that river over the adjoining fields looking for company. It's then that a couple of dozen decoys and a flag will see the big bodied fowl lock up and slide down over your set until their legs drop, the sound of heavy wings backpedaling, and then....................
I think I will have the passion long after the body can support it. There is nothing like the call of wild geese on a Moonlit night, drifting through an open widow, to trouble the sleep, and rouse the soul.[/quote

If you are describing where you hunt, can I please come? It sounds like something out of a book :hi:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:21 am

wanapasaki wrote:
Fsbirdhouse wrote:For me, I've found that when 'The Blue funk' begins to set in, something as simple as the change of seasons can start the cure, but a change in the weather can really recharge the old passion in me like nothing else.
I think I will have the passion long after the body can support it. There is nothing like the call of wild geese on a Moonlit night, drifting through an open widow, to trouble the sleep, and rouse the soul.[/quote

If you are describing where you hunt, can I please come? It sounds like something out of a book :hi:

Just such a storm forecast for Monday, and that's just the way it happens! If you can make E Idaho by then, you're welcome to join me.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby John Duck » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Maybe that is why tradition is coming back in some areas. Take 6 decoys, wood preferred and a call. No robo, jerk strings, kites, flags or other unnecessary stuff. See what kind of real duck hunter you are. Many are learning that there is a lot more to it than they thought and it is more enjoyable and lots of time you get the older more wary birds. It becomes a challenge again!
John Duck
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting