13 year old boy with pellet gun killed by police

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

13 year old boy with pellet gun killed by police

Postby slowshooter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:13 pm

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_24386604/sonoma-county-deputies-fired-8-shots-at-13

This happened in Sonoma. What on Earth were those guy thinking? I hope this was just a tragic mistake instead of a case of hyper overreaction.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: 13 year old boy with pellet gun killed by police

Postby Tyrtruion » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Well it looked like an AK-47 and the kid, rather than "drop the weapon" pointed it at the cops from what I've heard... And this was 1 day after a kid of younger age killed a teacher and wounded 2 students at a sparks elementary school...
So i would ask instead:
What was that damn kid thinking?
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Tyrtruion wrote:Well it looked like an AK-47 and the kid, rather than "drop the weapon" pointed it at the cops from what I've heard... And this was 1 day after a kid of younger age killed a teacher and wounded 2 students at a sparks elementary school...
So i would ask instead:
What was that damn kid thinking?

X100

Another question is what are the parents thinking, In light of the recent shootings and all.
Letting your Hispanic kid or any other race for that matter walk around with a replica AK-47 without a orange tip.

If their story checks out they were in there legal scope to react and preserve life civil or public.
case closed. maybe other dipshit parents will learn from this. sorry if I sound insensitive because I value all human life but it starts with the parents and ends with them. Learn how to parent/raise your damn kids!!!!
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby quack-attack » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:27 pm

I see some of the replica bb guns and airsoft guns and just cringe. In a day when there. Are 10 year old gang bangers packing heat it just is crazy to let a kid have one of those...there is no way a cop or anyone else can tell them apart from any distance. They are so dangerous. Sad story and I really feel sorry for the cops as much as the parents of the kid..cannot imagine living with myself if i had pulled that trigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:35 pm

It's really sad that this happened but I blame the parents and the changing perceptions of all guns. For example, if I walk into a Sports Authority or Walmart in this State, I will not see any firearms for sell. On the other hand, I will see a huge volume of air soft, paint pellet and bb/pellet guns for sale that resemble military and police issue weapons. In the last two decades it has become "acceptable" to shoot at other people with paint and air soft pellets. Something that would of found me in deep dodo with my parents if I even thought about it. I was always raised that guns were tools meant to be respected and used in a safe matter. I certainly spent my share of hours plinking cans, lizards and sparrows with my bb gun but it was called a red rider and looked more like a old winchester than an AK47. As a matter of fact, these look alike bb gun/pellet guns, including paint pellet guns, in my personal opinion, do nothing but teach younger kids that it's ok to shoot at other people since thats what these guns are built to resemble and do.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Until you have hiked you local hills and seen an underage cartel member (kid) holding a real AK -47 in a pot farm or you worked as LE or placed in a Shoot or Don't shoot situation. Don't form an opinion about the Deputies actions. Bottom line, you dont point guns at people unless you intend on shooting that person

Unfortunately, parents, the state, schools, teachers, and everyone else responsible for raising kids these days puts a kabosh on these replica firearms and video games, kids will continue to think they will respawn after being shot and its funny to point guns at cops and othrr people. All I have to say, is they should have been raised properly.

You have to remember we have law enforcement to do the jobs that no one else wants too. Cops can't un f--- kids in fifteen minutes, what you as parents f----- up in fifteen years. Think about this....

How many times have you as an adult and or juvenile were contacted by law enforcement....did you ever point a gun or replica gun at them......if so and you are you should go play the lottery.

Don't hate the cops until you have walked in there shoes. What's the first thing they teach in hunter safety. Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.

Its too bad the young man was shot, but you dont point guns at people real or fake.....end of story!
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:42 pm

So maybe the kid is walking down the street. Cops pull up behind him. They leap out and start yelling. Kid starts to turn around to see what's up, with gun in hand, and they cut him down.

To my knowledge officers have not said he was pointing the gun at them. Kill shots entered from the side.

Folks are preemptively blaming the kid and that's BS.

To paraphrase myself from another post. Kids are raised to listen and respect the police. Not fear them.

Now you guys want to teach your kids that the police are now wired to kill them at a moment's notice without regard... That doesn't breed respect for the law.

More like fear followed by contempt.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:05 pm

As for cops its a split second decision making many times. When you think its a toy then your going home in a box! You cannot walk around with something like what he had....refuse to submit to commands and expect a non lethal approach. It isn't good for those deputies nor the family. It is so sad that he was not told or he was allowed out of the home with that. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby thedeadone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:07 pm

Couldn't they have shot to wound him
Or disarm him???? What happened to the
Days when police could only fire when they
Were fired upon?
thedeadone
hunter

Postby bowman13 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:20 pm

When I was younger, I used to play airsoft competitively in the area, much like you would do with paintball. However, the difference in airsoft and paintball is realism. Most middle to higher end airsoft guns are advertised as 1:1 scale with the real gun. For example, a kid can go out and buy a 120 dollar airsoft ak47 that is in every way the same as the real ak47, but sports an orange tip. The first thing many kids would do, including myself, was either remove the orange tip to add accessories such as mock suppressors or different flash hiders, like you would an a ar15. Some of the guns I handled personnaly, even though they are deemed toys, were so incredibly close to the real firearm, that they could accept aftermarket parts compatable with the real firearm, such as magpul, eotechs, harris, etc..

The cops involved in the shooting were said to have opened fire on the kid because the weapon was raised towards them in an aggressive manner. Although the gun was only a cheap airsoft knock off of an ak47, it looks pretty realistic to me, especially if a kid was pointing it at me. The cops shot, hit the kid and killed him. In the situation, it was probably difficult to go for a wounding shot, or the reaction was to just shoot in defense, rather using the time before a shot to determine if you could wound the individual. I am sure this will have various effects on the airsofting communities around the state, as we have seen more and more "bb" or pellet rifles (usually called this by the media, but its really just an airsoft gun that fires a small 6mm plastic pellet at about 300 fps) in the news lately.
"Ducks are like women; they are all good, just some are better than others."-Best 8:00am duck blind quote I have ever heard.
bowman13
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Cops are trained to shoot center mass! No small targets is arms or legs....that is it.
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Slow shooter. The last person in a gun fight to fire generally ends up dead. Cops get paid to go home at night, not to see if the person holding the gun is going to shoot....
There's a great video on you tube by Chris Rock... its called" how not to get your as- kicked by the police"..

Its really simple. When a police officer tells you to do something, do it...don't like it, take him to court...but don't be an idiot and resist, run, or fight.

The problem with most of America is that we have a lot of stupid people!
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:09 am

That explains why there were only 10 seconds between them calling in the suspicious person and then calling in to say shots had been fired. Also explains why only one officer fired. :rolleyes:

The FBI is is now investigating the shooting. Whatever they rule, I'll believe.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:53 am

10 seconds, one officer shooting.... all your getting is the press version.....Just like theres a Latino Community outrage reported by the news.....guy, you don't know anything more than I do about this situation other than what the news has to say.....you weren't there, nor was I, and or anybody else on this forum. Don't come to a conclusion based off the media reports. It only make you sound like an idiot.

If your such a supporter of people pointing guns at police officers, point a gun at a cop or let your kids and see what happens. This isn't the first time this has happened. You think people would have figured this out by now.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:04 am

What explains why there was only one shooter. Do you know where his partners were standing... where they evevn at the call when he fired ..... could they even see the kid or gun. You dont know sh--.....Sounds like your making a bunch of conclusions. I repeat you an idiot!!!!! You don't know anything about this and you weren't at the call so you shouldn't assume anything. Have you ever been to man holding a gun call. OK since the answer is most likely no. Remove your head from.......
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:39 am

slowshooter wrote:That explains why there were only 10 seconds between them calling in the suspicious person and then calling in to say shots had been fired. Also explains why only one officer fired. :rolleyes:

The FBI is is now investigating the shooting. Whatever they rule, I'll believe.

There has been many documented incidents of one cop firing and one didn't....or a cop not firing when bad guy was pointing a gun at them...loading a weapon....getting a weapon...etc. There was one situation near me where we had a suicidal subject on a pier with a long gun. Subject picked up rifle and made a threatening movement..... one department fired and the other different department did not. It comes down to who trains well and is alert. Some cops see what others don't and perceive things differently. Its like you and I judging distance or good looking women. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:55 am

The cops that don't fire usually end up dead! Then those in dash videos of the incident of the cop not pulling his weapon or failing to shoot are used as training videos! On top of that they are not alive to tell us why they did not shoot....there family is mourning there death and questions are unanswered. Too many officers think about civil liability which messes with their performance. Even regular routine decisions are second guessed by some officers.....you are asking why? It happens. Be well.

DaveDave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:51 pm

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:
You have to remember we have law enforcement to do the jobs that no one else wants too. Cops can't un f--- kids in fifteen minutes, what you as parents f----- up in fifteen years. Think about this....

Or even 10 seconds, right?

How many times have you as an adult and or juvenile were contacted by law enforcement....did you ever point a gun or replica gun at them......if so and you are you should go play the lottery.

Don't hate the cops until you have walked in there shoes. What's the first thing they teach in hunter safety. Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.

Its too bad the young man was shot, but you dont point guns at people real or fake.....end of story!

How do you know the kid pointed the gun at the officer?
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:02 pm

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:Slow shooter. The last person in a gun fight to fire generally ends up dead. Cops get paid to go home at night, not to see if the person holding the gun is going to shoot....
There's a great video on you tube by Chris Rock... its called" how not to get your as- kicked by the police"..

Its really simple. When a police officer tells you to do something, do it...don't like it, take him to court...but don't be an idiot and resist, run, or fight.

The problem with most of America is that we have a lot of stupid people!

I don't disagree that any officer should defend himself. But I see people blaming a 14 year old kid for getting himself shot.

If you have kids at that age. They usually respond with "Huh?" before they do anything else.

I'm not blaming the officer for shooting, I'm not blaming the kid for not dropping the gun in ~5 seconds he actually had to make a decision. He probably didn't even know what was going on before he was killed.

What I do see are people taking sides and blaming a child for acting like a child.

There is a possibility that the rookie's story is different than the veteran's. And the the FBI was called in to solve the he said/he said.

While there is other reasons to have them involved (primarily timeframe) if this was completely cut and dried they wouldn't have bothered.

As I said. What the FBI rules I will believe. You guys can keep blaming the kid - because you're comfortable being sheep that are scared of the people that you pay to protect you.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:05 pm

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:10 seconds, one officer shooting.... all your getting is the press version.....Just like theres a Latino Community outrage reported by the news.....guy, you don't know anything more than I do about this situation other than what the news has to say.....you weren't there, nor was I, and or anybody else on this forum. Don't come to a conclusion based off the media reports. It only make you sound like an idiot.

Who has come to a conclusion? Only you man.

If your such a supporter of people pointing guns at police officers, point a gun at a cop or let your kids and see what happens. This isn't the first time this has happened. You think people would have figured this out by now.

So you concluded the boy pointed his gun at the officer? Sweet. I would love to see your armchair forensics that support that.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:07 pm

QuackerSmacker498 wrote:What explains why there was only one shooter. Do you know where his partners were standing... where they evevn at the call when he fired ..... could they even see the kid or gun. You dont know sh--.....Sounds like your making a bunch of conclusions. I repeat you an idiot!!!!! You don't know anything about this and you weren't at the call so you shouldn't assume anything. Have you ever been to man holding a gun call. OK since the answer is most likely no. Remove your head from.......

Who's assuming? You. Right now.

Favorite line in your post: "I repeat you an idiot!!!!!"

LOL! Seriously. That was funny. :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Waynegor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Simple answer:
1. A 13 years boy's mind knowing what to do when two sheriffs approached him with guns!
2. Two supposed well trained professional sheriffs to handle a 13 years old boy! :lol:

It is a joke for the professional! Go back to school have better training!:hammer:
Waynegor
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Slow shooter you really got me with pointing out a typo...Hey, got me!!!

More importantly, what do you think the FBI is going to do. The FBI is going to document the evidence. That deputy won't even talk to an FBI agent. Hey its not like CSI, I hate to let you in on that, but again this isn't TV.

One other thing, FBI isnt going to do sh-- with this...ultimately the Grand Jury decides if it was a good or bad shoot. Don't believe me, ask any law enforcement that has been involved in a shooting. Of my four buddies (all in shootings) all in Bay Area counties, not one of them has spoke with FBI.

If you were the one talking about warning shots, really guy. Again, not the movies!!

Check for typos please!!!!
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:58 am

Go to you tube and watch the Memphis officer shooting. The video starts out with a light colored minivan on a vehicle stop. After watching video, use a stop watch and calculate how long the officer had to perceive the deadly threat. Ask yourself in that time could you or anyone identify if that was a real gun or air soft. I think the officer realized it was real after several 140 grain 7x62 AK47 rounds pierced his body. Then ask yourself, how old is that gun man. He is 16 years old. Do you think you could perceive all of this in the time that deadly youngster stepped out of the minivan and killed that officer. If you believe so, you are again simply an idiot. Its not possible.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:15 pm

Because what happened in Memphis is exactly what happened in Sonoma? That's not a wild guess - that's a moronic attempt at equivalency.

If you want to swing from Johnny Law's sack, go ahead.

Me, I'll wait to see what the FBI says. If you don't like that idea well, tough TT for you. :hi: :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting