honey lake hunting

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

honey lake hunting

Postby SpoonieKiller » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:25 pm

Hello to all. I got drawn to hunt honey lake Fleming unit. Is it good? What can i expect?
-Thanks
SpoonieKiller
hunter

Re: honey lake hunting

Postby Tahoefowler » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:50 am

Planted chikins from jr hunt
Tahoefowler
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:13 pm

If it's more than a hr drive. Don't waste your time. Was there Wednesday. Didn't even touch my gun. Didn't hear a rooster. Hunted it last year for the pheasant opener. Waste of time. I didn't even put in for there so this is not someone trying to hide it. Pulled the trailer in there in hopes of something this year. Nothing. The 1 bird harvested last week was the coot.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:06 pm

It's called "honey lake" for a reason and it's got nothing to do with bee's
Attachments
honey.jpeg
honey.jpeg (10.06 KiB) Viewed 878 times
friedcoot
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:39 pm

You can expect a lot of down time. I usually do pretty good every time I go out there to hunt because it is my backyard refuge and I've been hunting it ever since I could hunt( over 20 years know) also my job has me in the HL valley everyday. I'm not bragging I just know the HL refuges like the back of my hand. Anyways , with that being said what has hurt these refuges exponentially is lack of water in honey lake and has caused many wildlife related ripple effects. As far as waterfowl there are ancient migratory paths through the honey lake valley that are now being deviated by waterfowl because of no water. They can just fly another 2 hours and be in the butte sink or another hour and be at mountain meadows reservoir. However throw in management issues, overcrowding and every other refuge antic in the above variable and it will equate to very poor hunting if you are not on the "X" or have adjoining private to hunt when the refuge is being shot. Not trying to detour you... Just being honest. However, it can be overall a good refuge to hunt just like every other sleeper refuge if you hit it on the right day, know where your going, have a new fluctuation of birds to the area (refer back to ancient migratory path sentence) and have some weather.

Now, if your just coming up to hunt roosters it was a mediocre at best hatch this year. Bring a good dog and be prepared to walk your ass off with no expectations if success. However , there are pheasants out there but just like anything else.. You need to be on the X.

Good luck
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby SpoonieKiller » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:04 pm

thanks for the info everyone. Im also going there to hunt waterfowl by the way
SpoonieKiller
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:24 pm

SpoonieKiller wrote:thanks for the info everyone. Im also going there to hunt waterfowl by the way

That is even worse. With the lack of water and the recent cold it will freeze up and the birds fly right on by.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting