Marsh seat

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Marsh seat

Postby shotgun707 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:13 am

I found a new place to hunt this year but I need a marsh/mud seat and in not trying to spend $50 on one so I thought I'd build one .. Anyone have any ideas on on???
2012-2013 season
shotgun707
hunter

Re: Marsh seat

Postby 3200 man » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:44 am

I've learn to M.I.S.S. ! I have many of them around , if I can rember where they're at . :yes: :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby OffiSur » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:29 am

I bought one from Cabela's for this year:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 621362.uts

It's on sale right now for $40 (10-28-13), but I picked mine up on a different sale for $30.
I think it's a keeper. It is light weight, folds down for easy carrying, sturdy, and is nicely padded... plus it has the Cabela's return policy in case my arse eventually crushes it.

On the other hand, if you're looking to build one up, keep it simple like 3200-man said.

I think a short length of 2x4 wrapped in a towel, nailed on top of another 2x4 upright, would suffice. Cut the end to a point and you're off to the races for cheap.

Have you tried an internet search for "make a marsh/swamp/mud seat"?
I'm about as sharp as a marble, but I was still able to do a Google search and found a whole lot of info already posted on this site and other sites.

Good luck, and post pictures of your completed project!
OffiSur
Newb

Postby duxnbass » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Try a 3' section of PVC schedule 40 1 1/2", one cap, a 1 1/2" to 3" bushing, a 3" PVC flange, and a six piece of 1/2" all thread two flat washer two nuts, one plywood disc about 12" in diameter
Glue the cap on one end, glue the bushing to the other end glue the flange to that, drill a 1/2" hole 10" up from the cap, center the all thread, install washers and nuts, bolt plywood disc to the flange and paint it, about 15 bucks at home depot and a 25 min build.
Take a kid hunting, the memories will last a lifetime.
duxnbass
hunter

Postby norcalweaz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Ten dollar bar stool from Wally World the cross bar stops it from sinking too far. Cheap light and not bad to sit in has a little pad.
norcalweaz
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:07 pm

I've seen quite a few guys using the old 2"x4" marsh seat, just make a "T" cut the bottom at an angle and rig something up so you don't sink too far.

I like my 50.00 seat though cause its comfy and light as well as it folds flat to take up less space in the jet sled.
darkwater27
hunter

Postby bellabitch » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01 pm

I use a folding deck chair with canvas seat and back. it is lightweight... and I screwed two pieces of nylon webbing across the bottom so that it does not sink into the mud. It is very comfortable. I can sit and wait for birds all day in comfort. Now if some birds would just show up ... I set up in a tule patch and am nearly invisible to the quackers. oh... and the deck chair has arm rests that double as a convenient place to lay my shotgun across in front of me - kind of like this one http://www.coleman.com/product/portable ... m82M8_n_IU in the rare event I need to use it. :lol3:
bellabitch
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting