sac nwr

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, duckman2000

sac nwr

Postby browntrout2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Did anyone hunt sac this last weekend. I hunted Volta and it was real bad, hopping there are more birds up north. I have a resi. for 10/30. Could use some help with this.
Thanks!
browntrout2
Newb

Re: sac nwr

Postby marblebelly » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Im heading up there tomorrow evening. If you would like to hook up I know several good blinds. pm me if interested
marblebelly
hunter

Postby zkalinowski » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:22 pm

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/waterfowl/shoot/13/ Don't know anything about specific blinds, but this should give you a general idea. Looks like I'll be taking a week or two off, way to much snipe and coot on that board and not enough numbers > 1. Good luck with the resi, though.
All your spoonies are belong to us
zkalinowski
hunter

Postby KeepOnDucking » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:35 pm

If you get a good spot you should be fine. I was there on Sunday with a high ressi and picked a bad spot but we did OK.
KeepOnDucking
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:04 pm

It was outstanding as far as the numbers of ducks in the air. Quite a few of the flights were in the stratosphere, going this way and that, especially the pintails, but for this time of the season it was more than I've seen in a couple of years.
As for the geese, the specks have made a huge rebound (like everyone doesn't already know that) and it looks like the snows are starting to show.
We had the ressi# that allowed us to get the "best blind" (with a 9 bird average) and, as a couple, we did ok even though I couldn't hit squat (forgot about what 2 x-tra shirts can do to your sight line/shoulder fit) Getting old and forgetting basic rules is becoming irritating but, I was able to correct it before the 11am shutdown.
I only had two flights of geese ( those belong to me as per agreement with my partner...He gets 1st/2nd shots @ the ducks) to punish so I didn't get my limit (wardrobe failure) although they were still absolutely wonderful moments.
Blinds behind us didn't fire a shot and I felt bad for them, but as for the "meat-hunters", to the north of us, (ie: 9-12 shots per single/double/group of birds with the usual: I shot that one, no I shot it, No IT WAS MINE! dialogue, per incident. did put a small damper, on me, to an otherwise perfect day. I just don't understand what kind of joy can come from this type of hunting. It reminds me of the long-ago firing-line mentality.
Anyway, this old-mans over half-century experience predicts it's going to be a great year.
#4Buckshot
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting