You know it's slow when......

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

You know it's slow when......

Postby Duck_Popper » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:31 pm

I have a #1 pick and an open seat at my club in Dingville in the morning and all my family/friends say "I would rather not take the day off work".

I pray that a miracle happens and in the last 3 days a bunch of birds came into the area and I can gloat.

But....... Probably not.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Re: You know it's slow when......

Postby yellowlabhunter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:02 pm

I believe it helps when "I" concede November for what it usually is.....a poor month for ducks in CA. This is the .month to get firewood stacked and winterization of the property. But...go anyway and enjoy the outdoors. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:59 pm

this storm from up north I would say started pushing them down. This morning when I was out I saw hundreds of snows pushing south already. Seemed to be a new batch of ducks in my neck of the woods as well. :thumbsup:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Duck_Popper » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:28 pm

YLH. I am definitely going to go out. I was always told "you won't know if you aren't out there".

Sprig- thanks for the heads up. I have been watching the weather reports and made a few calls to see what everyone has been seeing from up past Chico to redding to down in the delta.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Duck_Popper wrote:YLH. I am definitely going to go out. I was always told "you won't know if you aren't out there".

Sprig- thanks for the heads up. I have been watching the weather reports and made a few calls to see what everyone has been seeing from up past Chico to redding to down in the delta.

Flights all night of specks. Setting up the blind last night and right after lst ducks starter to pour in. You would be a dummy to pass on a number 1 ( not you op, your friends ) for this weekend. That storm came out if Alaska and has been blowing for about a week now. Cold and wind. Sounds like duck weather.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:54 pm

Sarge I tried to tell them. I have been reading and following the weather and I just have a guy feeling. It comes to a point where you just say ok and move on. I only get 3 number #1 picks at my club a year.

Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:03 pm

still plenty of food up north and no snow to cover it. no reason to fly south. On the other hand, sitting in a blind staring into the blank skies beats sitting in front of a computer reading about it.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Portuguese Duck Slayer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:15 pm

What's ironic is that we all wait anxiously for duck season....... then rant about "not going" because of the weather. :huh:
Portuguese Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:02 pm

friedcoot wrote:still plenty of food up north and no snow to cover it. no reason to fly south. On the other hand, sitting in a blind staring into the blank skies beats sitting in front of a computer reading about it.

Well the hundreds of snows flying south all day today suggests otherwise fried. Not arguing saying we have hit the peak of the migration but it definitely has been started. Not just talking about our early migrants either ie; pintails, BWT ect. Widgeon have started to leave their boreal forest breeding grounds and the snows are on the move. And that's a good sign.

And not to tell a man his business but food inaccesibility is just one pre- requisite for the fall migration. there are many other factors alone that can trigger this inner magnetic desire to survive. Which essentially is what the fall migration is. Other factors such as cold , ice, disturbance, predation, photo period, night time restlessness, other environmental variables and ducks , geese and other waterfowl can sense intense cold fronts and always leave well before things freeze.
Last edited by sprigpig1 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby friedcoot » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 pm

I want you to be right sprig, and so does everyone else.

http://www.ducks.org/media/conservation ... tSheet.pdf
friedcoot
hunter

Postby John Duck » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Most of your ducks come from Alaska and up here it is freakishly warm and a lot of ducks are enjoyin' the sun yet.
John Duck
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:39 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:
friedcoot wrote:still plenty of food up north and no snow to cover it. no reason to fly south. On the other hand, sitting in a blind staring into the blank skies beats sitting in front of a computer reading about it.

Well the hundreds of snows flying south all day today suggests otherwise fried. Not arguing saying we have hit the peak of the migration but it definitely has been started. Not just talking about our early migrants either ie; pintails, BWT ect. Widgeon have started to leave their boreal forest breeding grounds and the snows are on the move. And that's a good sign.

And not to tell a man his business but food inaccesibility is just one pre- requisite for the fall migration. there are many other factors alone that can trigger this inner magnetic desire to survive. Which essentially is what the fall migration is. Other factors such as cold , ice, disturbance, predation, photo period, night time restlessness, other environmental variables and ducks , geese and other waterfowl can sense intense cold fronts and always leave well before things freeze.

Yep saw large flights of snows today at llano.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Here in E Idaho, we send our local birds both straight south to Utah, but to a larger degree west, down the Snake river, and on to the Columbia, and then south to the central valley of California.
I'm still hearing reports of large takes of Blue Winged Teal locally, as of last weekend, but weather turned cold day before yesterday with wind and mixed snow & rain. Should make a difference soon!

Many years ago, ('60s) I hunted county land that now hosts a large park (Shoreline lake), and the main Google Inc, just west of a Leslie Salt pond in Mt View, Calif. Hunted it at least three times a week thru the season back before it became impossible to do so.
Nov. was the month. Best, most consistant duck hunting I ever had in California. Widgeon (Always the foundation of a season's hunt there), Cinnamon teal (Until the '70s), Green wings, then about the middle of Nov, the Sprig came in very good numbers for two to three weeks, and then came the Shovelers, and a very few Gadwalls began to show up as well by the early '70s. The Shovelers came 'en mass'. Easy to decoy, and not really bad eating either, but we held them in little regard, being only a notch above a Ruddy duck to us back then. From Christmas on, these few acres would continue to produce good numbers of Spoonies, an occasional Goldeneye, Canvasback, more than a few Scaup if the area flooded extensively, and it was windy.
How it happened I don't know, but we even killed a lost hen Wood Duck there one year. The two acre pond it normally was, produced and average of one goose every two or three years as well.
Lessers of one kind or another, Specks, and the year before I moved away to Alaska, a lone Ross's goose.
My cousin, who was my #1 hunting partner on the pond, killed a Tulie goose in the vicinity a couple of years after I moved away.
Too bad things have changed. It was great those many years ago! Beautiful natural grasses and weeds that flooded as if by magic by the first ten days of Nov. (We finally figured it to be high bay tides raising water table)
Twas a waterfowl magnet back in the day. Nothing but the best of memories.
Revisited the place 6 years ago, was almost moved to grief when I saw what they'd done to the place these many years later.
Last edited by Fsbirdhouse on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm sure your seeing a trickling of lost souls but that jet stream is only going to help the Bear River Marshes and until it gets colder and that air current changes, your going to be starring at a lot of open sky.

http://weather.gc.ca/jet_stream/index_e.html
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Dukslayer26 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Portuguese Duck Slayer wrote:What's ironic is that we all wait anxiously for duck season....... then rant about "not going" because of the weather. :huh:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Seasons to short to be complaining :thumbsup:
I hunt cause I love going deep into the bush and I always shoot twice!
Dukslayer26
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:02 pm

Dukslayer26 wrote:
Portuguese Duck Slayer wrote:What's ironic is that we all wait anxiously for duck season....... then rant about "not going" because of the weather. :huh:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Seasons to short to be complaining :thumbsup:

Who is complaining. Its ducks season. They call it hunting not killing for a reason. If I wanted to go out to kill stuff I would go shoot flighted mallards at the club.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:49 am

Yesterday was a great day in the marsh , as I was set-up 45 minutes before shooting time . It was quiet-time , as I couldn't
hear anything flying , or see , with just a sliver of moon and a clear sky but it was tranquillity as I sat there alone with my dog .
The first 10 minutes while setting out the decoys I discovered a leak in my waders , which got worst but , I was on a mission to
fool the birds that came to take a look . At 9 o clock I picked-up and on the drive home I was thinking , what a great day I had ,
No Noice ,with all the anticipation I came for without firing a shot or hearing many shots to put me on the edge of my seat !
3200 man
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting