Today's GL Report

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Today's GL Report

Postby mikemac » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:01 pm

My partner went to the East side today and was skunked. Only one bird flew within shooting distance and despite his shooting prowess, the bird did not cooperate. It was warm with no wind. Only 60 hunters. Sounds like I will be working at the club this weekend getting ready for the water which starts on the 1st and probably stops on the 2nd.....ugh....
mikemac
hunter

Re: Today's GL Report

Postby Silverwidgeon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 pm

thx for the report, kinda wat i expected...
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:08 am

I'm still going Saturday as it's the first resi I ever drew
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby marblebelly » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:39 am

I would hunt Delevan or Sacramento lotto before I would hunt Gray Lodge#1 reservation! I shot 5 birds yesterday with a chance to limit. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, you will need it!
marblebelly
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Was thinking about taking a buddy to GL but now I will look else where.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:12 pm

I can't make it to the valley in time for the lotto so GL it is. Maybe one of these days I'll actually draw at one of the sac complex... Maybe
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby gozags09 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:24 pm

The lodge can produce. just takes more than some of the others
gozags09
hunter

Postby Portuguese Duck Slayer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:50 pm

gozags09 wrote:The lodge can produce. just takes more than some of the others

Unreal how that place has changed. 30 years ago it was the "place" to be!
Portuguese Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:07 pm

I love the lodge, stil can be "the place to be", sometimes...
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:00 am

Gray Lodge can certainly produce, the problem for me isn't the lack of birds, or birds not wanting to work, the bigger problem is the people setting up 40 yards away, not bothering to stay hidden when birds are coming, and blowing their big water calls wide open with 30 note hail calls at birds 80 yards away coming in and flaring everything, and when that doesn't work they try to shoot at and cut off birds 50 yards from you and 80 yards from them. Gray Lodge produces, its just takes a lot of work to figure out how to get past all the people problems. Sometimes I hunt a less desirable spot if there is much less people. Having 10 or 15 birds actually work throughout the day and getting GOOD shots at them is much better in my opinion than having birds everywhere and having jackwagons shooting at everything and flaring the birds so you are having to take the shots you can get which end up in less birds. I do better killing 7 of the 15 birds that want to work, vs killing only 2 or 3 because its a shitshow out there with people shooting at everything under 80 yards because they are afraid the other jackwagons out there will get them first. :beer:
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 am

ericwjennings wrote:

Gray Lodge can certainly produce, the problem for me isn't the lack of birds, or birds not wanting to work, the bigger problem is the people setting up 40 yards away, not bothering to stay hidden when birds are coming, and blowing their big water calls wide open with 30 note hail calls at birds 80 yards away coming in and flaring everything, and when that doesn't work they try to shoot at and cut off birds 50 yards from you and 80 yards from them. Gray Lodge produces, its just takes a lot of work to figure out how to get past all the people problems. Sometimes I hunt a less desirable spot if there is much less people. Having 10 or 15 birds actually work throughout the day and getting GOOD shots at them is much better in my opinion than having birds everywhere and having jackwagons shooting at everything and flaring the birds so you are having to take the shots you can get which end up in less birds. I do better killing 7 of the 15 birds that want to work, vs killing only 2 or 3 because its a shitshow out there with people shooting at everything under 80 yards because they are afraid the other jackwagons out there will get them first. :beer:

I love listening to everyone thats figured out the feeding chuckle. Sounds so realistic :yes:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:56 am

wanapasaki wrote:
ericwjennings wrote:

I love listening to everyone thats figured out the feeding chuckle. Sounds so realistic :yes:

There used to be this one freaking guy that always hunted the same place we did at Gray Lodge, and was definitely not worried about his calling, he was proud as could be and would call as loud as possible. The only problem was he had the calling skills of a 4 year old kid who just got his first duck call 8 seconds earlier. We tried helping the guy out on the slow days, because he was out there every damn time we were, and he was at least fairly friendly for Gray Lodge. Eventually it got to be a joke and when we would come out there he would stop calling and let us call, and we agreed that if he stopped calling we wouldn't care if he shot a few of our swing birds, because it ended up with more birds for all of us in the long run. But since my buddy used to have a silkscreen business we made up a shirt for "1st Annual Gray Lodge Wildlife Area Semi-Professional Kazoo Calling Champion!" and gave to the guy one a Christmas hunt, along with a duck call that came with an instructional cd. A couple weeks and problem solved, he finally figured out how to call somewhat decently. Whatever it takes to fix your particular Gray Lodge problem, you gotta figure it out. Because if you keep going out of Parking Lot X and racing the same dillweeds to the same pond, you are gonna have the same people crowding and cutting off birds and skyscraping at everything. :thumbsup:
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:06 am

the secrete is go to lot #1 and run to the west as fast as you can..........or do the opposite.......
darkwater27
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:42 am

I love watching guys push big sticks into the mud with flashlights ducktaped to them so it looks like there are already a ton of people in the pond to keep others out. They clearly don't understand that its Gray Lodge, and people are going to crowd you no matter what, and that people will walk into the pond right at legal shooting time and flare birds anyway :biggrin:
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby gozags09 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:29 pm

I guess it wasn't fair for me to still say it produces, because I have hunted it very rarely the last 5+ years. It was my first refuge I hunted, and I hunted it hard. Now, things are very different, but I'd like to think I could still scratch out a few birds on a cold afternoon. That being said, I hunt rice now. Wake up later, don't get in shouting matches about "X", and I can watch birds actually work. I do not shoot limits everytime. I rarely shoot greenheads. But its a lot less stress. Still hunt refuges when I get drawn, and sadly, that happens about twice a season.
gozags09
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting