Duck Hunting Forum banner

I think I'm addicted!

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ko1featherweigh 
#1 ·
This is my first season duck hunting and after my first taste i can't get enough.is this common? I started reading the forum the end of last season, been gathering gear i needed. Finally opening weekend came around. I hunted Sunday because i had to work Saturday. That morning i called in and hit my first duck, also called in the first duck for my friend i was hunting with. from that day i think i got the addiction. Haven't shot many birds but its still damn fun! I love hunting all types of game. I've hunted pigs, rabbit, upland but hunting ducks is somehow different. Just wanted to share my experience. Was it like this your first time duck hunting?

my first ducks
hen widgeon, drake green wing teal

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey there, good for you! I still recall my first hunt. It was in 1980 and I was with my father on my grandfathers ranch. We had a rear portion of the property which we flooded for duck season. We also had a small 20 acre pond which he and I decided to hunt that day. About 5 minutes into shooting time a greenhead was descending into the pond, almost suspended in motion, about 10 feet off the water and approximately 20 feet out. I took my Mossberg single shot, bolt action 12 gauge, shouldered it and pointed and shot. The Mallard dropped and I was SO excited! I shot 2 more ducks after that, however I will always recall that day and that first Mallard. It was almost like it was meant to be? First duck ever and it was a drake Mallard!

You know, I have hunted many times since then, however I don't believe any hunt I ever had can/will match that day? I was 10 years old and remember it like yesterday. I was hooked ever since. I go out and think of my father and some of the good times we had together. I was truly blessed to have had the opportunity to hunt waterfowl. I have met many good people through this sport over the years. It is not always about the # of birds shot. It is the people whom you meet and getting out, enjoying the outdoors. May you have a lifetime of memories and please carry on the tradition you have begun, share it with anyone who is eager. Be well.

Dave

#6 ·
spoonysmaker said:
It was pretty much like that for everyone who started abd still enjoys the sport. :welcome: just a friendly bit of advice. Get a new camo shirt WITHOUT any neon colors. You'll probably shoot more ducks :thumbsup:
Maybe it's a crew thing. :welcome:

#8 ·
yellowlabhunter said:
Sgtstadanko707 said:
spoonysmaker said:
It was pretty much like that for everyone who started abd still enjoys the sport. :welcome: just a friendly bit of advice. Get a new camo shirt WITHOUT any neon colors. You'll probably shoot more ducks :thumbsup:
Maybe it's a crew thing. :welcome:
No flat billed cap....he's OK. :thumbsup:
Ok. Welcome to the club.

#10 ·
spoonysmaker said:
Good point, i had my sweater on most of the day but once it got hot i wore the neon.

been hunting here locally in the bay area. got a few spoonies. all the mallards and teal i see i always seem to miss the opportunity

#12 ·
Welcome to duck hunting. I pretty much only duck hunt since I have started. No bear or deer tags for me in the last 2 years. It's definitely addicting. Just when you think you have invested in enough gear and couldn't possibly need anymore, you will change your mind lol. I'm from tehachapi above Bakersfield. If you ever find yourself around kern or mendota, let me know!

#13 ·
Why did you black out your face? Do you have warrants ? Are you a felon?
J/k welcome aboard ...

#16 ·
sprigpig1 said:
Why did you black out your face? Do you have warrants ? Are you a felon?
J/k welcome aboard ...
Because some of you guys are creeps. :fingerhead: don't want any of you knowing who i am

wanapasaki said:
Welcome to duck hunting. I pretty much only duck hunt since I have started. No bear or deer tags for me in the last 2 years. It's definitely addicting. Just when you think you have invested in enough gear and couldn't possibly need anymore, you will change your mind lol. I'm from tehachapi above Bakersfield. If you ever find yourself around kern or mendota, let me know!
I actually harvested my first and currently only wild pig in tehachapi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.