I ate a coot!!!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

I ate a coot!!!

Postby Tyrtruion » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:10 am

Maybe I'm just crazy but I thought id give it a shot and see what everyones talking about... But I breasted 1 out, marinated it in Italian dressing for 2 days, rinsed it off then sautéed it in butter... Sliced it thin and put it on rice...
Way better than merganser, slightly better than buffleheads... Wasn't even close to the horrible stories I've heard. 25 a day I bet with a good seasoning these would make great snack sticks

So tell me this... Have you actually tried one before?
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Re: I ate a coot!!!

Postby berdnird » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:13 am

I shot one on accident at Lower Klamath last year and it tasted fine. As a disclaimer, if you put cream cheese and jalapenos in something and wrap it in bacon it will probably taste good.
berdnird
hunter

Postby terenceb » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:14 am

I've been wanting to try one but have always been nervous about eating them. Maybe I'll finally give it a shot this weekend.
terenceb
hunter

Postby zkalinowski » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:48 am

I've made tacos and jerky with them in the past. They definitely taste like divers, but they really are no worse than the majority of diving ducks I've eaten. Still won't shoot them just due to the embarrassment of the walk back in with a strap full of coot :lol3:
All your spoonies are belong to us
zkalinowski
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:57 am

I've breasted some, soaked'em in salt water, cut it into strip and dehydrated it, for my dogs, but I tried it as well. A bit on the "rich/gamey" flavor side of things, but I understand why the dogs love it.
darkwater27
hunter

Postby afmotorsports » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:07 pm

I consider myself fairly adventurous with foods and I've tried all kinds of stuff. Menudo, Vietnamese pho, etc. all have some 'weird' stuff in them but I found them to be quite tasty. I shot some coots a couple of years ago with the idea that I might as well give them a try. I put them in the fridge with a salt brine, then marinated them in Italian dressing, cooked them with all kids of spices and they were edible. Tasty? Not quite, I wouldn't go that far. I've had worse stuff but will I be shooting coots in the future for table fare? Nope. As 'berdnird' said it, you can make just about anything taste decent if you wrap it in bacon and cover it up in jalapenos and cream cheese but the truth of the matter is that the meat itself really isn't very good. It won't kill you and I wouldn't starve to death before eating coots again but it's just not a bird I plan on shooting again to put on the strap. YMMV...
afmotorsports
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:16 pm

As slow as things seem to be this season, a coot shooting boogie may be called for and a big batch of chili whipped up. I'd bet coot meat would be just fine in chili, and still better for you than ground beef or pork.

How many coots does it take to make up 5 lbs of meat?
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:09 pm

I've never eaten a coot but I have heard that their gizzard is huge and pretty good to eat.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:36 pm

With coots the fat holds a lot of the flavor. Trim off all the fat, and that solves a lot of the bad taste problems. Is it gonna taste like a cornfed mallard, probably not, but its way better tasting than the stories you've heard. I've had many other "good ducks" taste bad if they've been feeding on too many invertebrates and have an orange-ish colored fat. Up here in rice country even the spoonies taste good! :thumbsup:
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby fish dog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Here's how to make a gormet meal with coots...

First, brown some onions, next take your cleaned/plucked whole coot and lightly coat with flower, put in a pan with oil and butter to brown. Next chop up any desired veggies (my favorites are celery, oinion and tomato) and along with spices stuff body cavity of coot. Then put on a cedar plank and put in the oven for an hour and fifteen minutes. Then remove from oven, thow away the coot in the outside garbage (this part is key I might add), crack a beer and eat the browned onions and cedar plank. This is also my favorite recipie for merganser!! Enjoy!
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby ducslayer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:11 pm

For a New Years party a few years ago I smoked Coot ,Pheasant , and goose for snacks. All served on the same tray......The coot was the first to be eaten then the pheasant then the goose.
ducslayer
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:58 pm

A strap full of coots??? Now there's a guy who has life figured out :yes: Hey just think how easy limits would be. My wife loves bufflehead stir fry, maybe I will give it a go :grooving:
diverduckduster
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:04 pm

diverduckduster wrote:A strap full of coots??? Now there's a guy who has life figured out :yes: Hey just think how easy limits would be. My wife loves bufflehead stir fry, maybe I will give it a go :grooving:

I want to be there to see the guy who comes in with a full strap (25) of coots...
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 pm

You guys leave those poor little defenseless coots alone . :fingerpt:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby gozags09 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:10 pm

I remember being 10 years old standing around the cleaning station at Gray Lodge with some old dude cleaning coots. I remember my brother giving him a hard time and he responded " Ya don't like COOT!?" To this day my brother and I say the phrase when we see them swimming in the dekes or if some guy kills a few. I have no problem with people that shoot coot as long as they eat them. That person won't be me, but if we didn't have people shooting them then coots would rule the world!

I always wondered how coots migrate when they seem to only be able to fly 100 yards max at a time. Anyone in the know could help me understand how/or if the little guys migrate.
gozags09
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:13 pm

ericwjennings wrote:
diverduckduster wrote:A strap full of coots??? Now there's a guy who has life figured out :yes: Hey just think how easy limits would be. My wife loves bufflehead stir fry, maybe I will give it a go :grooving:

I want to be there to see the guy who comes in with a full strap (25) of coots...

Go follow the Hmong arounds ldc. They try thier hardest.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby fullpattern » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Just as a small delicious chicken is called a Cornish Game Hen coots are so delectable their nick name is "Mud Hen". :drool: Bonapetite!
"If you call they will come" 2013-14 birds. days in field 26
50 grn wings 19 spoon 11 mal 6 rings 5 gad 3 wig 3 sprig
3 cin 4 cans 1 scaup 3 specks 1 Ross 1 snow
fullpattern
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Ha ha ain't that the truth.
diverduckduster
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:25 pm

gozags09 wrote:I remember being 10 years old standing around the cleaning station at Gray Lodge with some old dude cleaning coots. I remember my brother giving him a hard time and he responded " Ya don't like COOT!?" To this day my brother and I say the phrase when we see them swimming in the dekes or if some guy kills a few. I have no problem with people that shoot coot as long as they eat them. That person won't be me, but if we didn't have people shooting them then coots would rule the world!

I always wondered how coots migrate when they seem to only be able to fly 100 yards max at a time. Anyone in the know could help me understand how/or if the little guys migrate.

Probably 25,000 miles high at night to avoid peregrine falcons.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby bugman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Coots can be very good. At the hunter ed advanced class on game care and cooking the coot fajitas are the first dish to disappear. Coots are enjoyed by Cajuns, Italians and many Asian ethnic groups. As mentioned before, any off flavor is in the fat and skin, so remove all that and the meat is fine. Also as mentioned before, the gizzards are big. You can grind those into sausage. PM me if you want recipes. When the ducks are scarce, the coots are always plentiful.
bugman
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:13 am

it really depends on what they are eating. colordo river :thumbsup: saltansea :fingerhead:
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:20 am

I make jerky of them! Heavy marinade and liberal amount of seasoning and they taste pretty damn good. I usually take 3-4 a day during late season and save the breast strips in the freezer and make a huge batch of jerky :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:23 am

This may be a ridiculous question but do you just jump shoot them? I mean you can't call them. They always swim far out around your decoys. Just thinking out loud her. Lol
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:29 am

It's time for me to break out my coot dekes and bring home a limit.

I say that every year. This year it's happening.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:50 am

Duck_Popper wrote: do you just jump shoot them?

There's generally 2 or 3 that swim through my deeks every time I'm out in the field. And jump a few on the haul back to the truck. :thumbsup:
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting