I ate a coot!!!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Re: I ate a coot!!!

Postby Jim Dandy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:19 am

My Great Uncle used to set my dad and some other guys up with a coot shoot in the Delta flooded rice fields towards the end of the season. This was in the late 60s. Then my family would have a huge coot and polenta dinner at our restaurant in Martinez, free, as a "thank you" to all the regular customers. There was never enough room in the place for all the diners.

Dandy
Jim Dandy
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Jim Dandy... Man that name sounds so familiar..
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:54 pm

slowshooter wrote:It's time for me to break out my coot dekes and bring home a limit.

I say that every year. This year it's happening.

Post a pic or it didn't happen!
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby Jim Dandy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:08 pm

wanapasaki wrote:Jim Dandy... Man that name sounds so familiar..

I've been around.......or maybe you're one of the last Black oak Arkansas fans. :thumbsup:

Dandy
Jim Dandy
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:49 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:

I've been around.......or maybe you're one of the last Black oak Arkansas fans. :thumbsup:

Dandy

Hahaha yeah, there's still a few of us around. You didn't by chance grow up in Bakersfield or work with a Richard Smith did you?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:09 am

Duck_Popper wrote:
slowshooter wrote:It's time for me to break out my coot dekes and bring home a limit.

I don't take pictures of results. Just not my thing.

I'll do a drawing.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:10 am

slowshooter wrote:
Duck_Popper wrote:

I'll do a drawing.

No crayons or finger paint...
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 am

wanapasaki wrote:
slowshooter wrote:
Duck_Popper wrote:

I'll do a drawing.

No crayons or finger paint...

You killjoy! :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Jim Dandy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 am

wanapasaki wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:

Dandy

Hahaha yeah, there's still a few of us around. You didn't by chance grow up in Bakersfield or work with a Richard Smith did you?

No sir.

Dandy
Jim Dandy
hunter

Postby B-Boy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:42 pm

I've eaten coot a few times. I had the same experience as you. However, the coots I harvested we in California's central valley and were dieting on local grain. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between coot and spoonie once it was cooked. I plan to take a limit of coots at least once this season (after I finish my duck hunt that day :thumbsup: ).
Benelli - Cordoba (20 ga. & 12 ga.)
Browning - 725 Sporting (12 ga.), Maxus Hunter
B-Boy
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Its all on how u cook them, trust me. When cooked our way Im positive you boys would eat them. One thing us Cajuns can do good is cook, especially seafood and wild game.

If any of you have a black iron pot / Dutch Oven the u can follow my recipe and they will come out very good. I rather pot roast them but it would take to long to explain how I do it. The recipe below is the second best way I make them and its awesome.

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=224486
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:03 am

Saltwater_Assassin wrote:Its all on how u cook them, trust me. When cooked our way Im positive you boys would eat them. One thing us Cajuns can do good is cook, especially seafood and wild game.

If any of you have a black iron pot / Dutch Oven the u can follow my recipe and they will come out very good. I rather pot roast them but it would take to long to explain how I do it. The recipe below is the second best way I make them and its awesome.

We'd have to breast them out and remove all the fat. The coot around here get the fat funk that makes it smell nasty. And not ignorant Miley Cyrus nasty - but honest to gosh, dead for two weeks rat stuffed up a dirt button nasty.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:10 am

slowshooter wrote:
Saltwater_Assassin wrote:Its all on how u cook them, trust me. When cooked our way Im positive you boys would eat them. One thing us Cajuns can do good is cook, especially seafood and wild game.

We'd have to breast them out and remove all the fat. The coot around here get the fat funk that makes it smell nasty. And not ignorant Miley Cyrus nasty - but honest to gosh, dead for two weeks rat stuffed up a dirt button nasty.

U had be cracking up with the way u put it man :lol3: . The recipe works just as good with breasted birds. I often do it with duck breast, just takes a good bit of them to line the bottom of the pot up that's all. Just trying to offer some of you some options of eating them if u choose to do so.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:48 am

Saltwater_Assassin wrote:
slowshooter wrote:

U had be cracking up with the way u put it man :lol3: . The recipe works just as good with breasted birds. I often do it with duck breast, just takes a good bit of them to line the bottom of the pot up that's all. Just trying to offer some of you some options of eating them if u choose to do so.

Cool. I'll try it out. I have a bunch of dutch ovens, roasters and fryers. So the equipment... I gots.

:thumbsup:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby rvbankman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Please don't shoot the coots! They're the lazy (or poor) man's dekes!!!! :lol3:
rvbankman
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:26 pm

This afternoon I took my son, and his buddy out hunting with me. Things were slow at first, and the coots were giving my dog a hard time. The boys asked if they could shoot one, and I told em you eat what you shoot!

Well, they ended up shooting 4, and when we got home I fired up the grill...thought I'd teach em a lesson. They just finished off all the ducks we shot this evening, and loved the coot. My 5 & 6 year old girls liked it also. Now they want to shoot more tomorrow. Yippie!

I don't plan on making coot shoots a habit, but at least I now know they're good to eat.
:-)
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:06 pm

slowshooter wrote: .....And not ignorant Miley Cyrus nasty - but honest to gosh, dead for two weeks rat stuffed up a dirt button nasty.

:lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Huck » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Coots make pretty good crab bait after I run out of rockfish carcasses.
Huck
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting