Your input please.

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Your input please.

Postby yellowlabhunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Hey all,

I have been following this site for a while with little input. I would like to know if some of us would agree if those who post their bird count for a day or weekend would exclude Spooney and divers from their count? I myself can always shoot aSpooney....they are around when nothing else is flying. I don't want to offend those who choose to hunt them and those who enjoy them....I just want to see if more Mallard, Pintail, Widgeon, Teal, Cans and other birds have reached our areas and we are having a success. I personally don't go after the Spoony that's what I choose. Look forward to your feedback. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm


Re: Your input please.

Postby yellowlabhunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:59 pm

I believe what I am attempting to express....if we want to post a days take....can we be more specific instead of "We/I got a limit or got 5" . Anyway I just looking for little more accuracy. Not big deal at all, just my OCD I guess. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Your input please.

Postby Tyrtruion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:25 pm

But the can is a diver?
And what's wrong with spoonies? It's nice to unload on their big ol smile...
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:26 am
Location: Reno, Nv.

Re: Your input please.

Postby yellowlabhunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Yes the Can is....nothing wrong with Spoon of you like them....I am looking for more what most hunters I believe are after. Again I am not degrading anyone....just asking? Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Your input please.

Postby Tyrtruion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:34 pm

I get what yer layin down...
An area up north I frequent has given me 8 gwt this year... Last year the same spot was pintail and cans...
Trust me... When I get something other than a ring neck, spoony or a coot... I'll post
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:26 am
Location: Reno, Nv.

Re: Your input please.

Postby yellowlabhunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Tyrtruion wrote:I get what yer layin down...
An area up north I frequent has given me 8 gwt this year... Last year the same spot was pintail and cans...
Trust me... When I get something other than a ring neck, spoony or a coot... I'll post


Thanks for the feedback....and hope it remains a positive and not an insult to the hunters of the Spoon.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Your input please.

Postby fish dog » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Dave,

I imagine you're up north somewhere. If you're down south, most days anyway, if you don't shoot spoonys you don't shoot much. Case in point San Jacinto this past Saturday out of 302 ducks 143 were spoonys, along with 39 divers, so there were 120 "good" ducks for the 154 hunter in attendance or about 0.78 per gun. There's always exceptions but in general that's how it goes down here.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
User avatar
fish dog
hunter
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:00 am
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Your input please.

Postby spoonysmaker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:54 pm

For now on all I'm gonna post is that I got limits of spoons if it will keep people like you at home. :lol3:
User avatar
spoonysmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:19 pm
Location: livermore, ca

Re: Your input please.

Postby deltahunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 am

Seriously? I think your just trolling so I guess I'll bite. This is the most ridiculous request I've seen on any of these boards. This is a duck hunting site where people post their hunting results. Believe it or not some folks like shooting spoons or divers(i.e.-Gene) and some folks like reading about their success. If you don't maybe you should start your own site dedicated to duck hunting snobs who only shoot "good birds". I'll bet the following would be much smaller than the sites letting all the rest of us post about our "trash birds".
deltahunter
hunter
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: CA.

Re: Your input please.

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:37 am

Red head and canvasbacks have a better diet than most puddle ducks. Why do you think widgeon hang around in big rafts of them? Because they steal all of the plants they can pull up from the bottom that widgeon can't reach. As far as spoons and other divers.. To each their own.. I'll shoot em all on a slow day.. Except coots of course. Good for you if you shoot them just not my cup of tea.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: Your input please.

Postby duxnbass » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:11 pm

I am at 17 ducks and 3 geese on the year so far.......
5-drake mallards
1-hen mallard
4-green wing teal
2-cinnomin teal
5- spoonys( they are ducks and considered a good bird Shoot 7 if that's what comes in, intact that would be a trophy limit!)
2- Canadian honkers
1-speck
Take a kid hunting, the memories will last a lifetime.
duxnbass
hunter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:16 pm
Location: Born and raised on the California Delta

Re: Your input please.

Postby darkwater27 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Wait a minute, I thought posting a bird total was a no no......these darn sites have so many rules and bylaws.......I'm never sure what to post or not post.....

but I'm glad to see guys are having more luck that me.....3 trips out and I have taken a limit of 25 shells twice along with
1 speck
1 Green wing
and 1 infamous Northern Shoveler....
User avatar
darkwater27
hunter
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Your input please.

Postby Dasher1414 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Well dave
I hunt with people just like you and I have no problems with the type of person who passes on spoons( more for me ) but at the end of the day when they didn't fire a shot and I had fun shooting and getting my limit isn't that duck hunting? When you call a flock of birds that do loops around your pond then come in feet down right off the deck I'm shootin don't know about you. One more thing my buddies who only shoot "good ducks" couldn't call one in to to save there lives let alone a spoon. My 2 bits..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Dasher1414
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Your input please.

Postby LeakyW8ers » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 pm

I target and kill only Shovelors. I am a purist.

Why? because they are hogging up the habitat for other ducks. If they keep breeding and staying at 150%+ over the long term average they are taking up nesting habitat for Mallards and other birds that use the same habitat for nesting.

Honestly, if you want more Mallards in the sky, you need to implement a Shovelor eradication program. Target the hens. Refresh the sausage pile with the meat of dead spoonies.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
User avatar
LeakyW8ers
hunter
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:49 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Your input please.

Postby slowshooter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:03 pm

I have missed 12 times this season.

That's all you need to know. Will update as needed.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9011
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Your input please.

Postby Camocynergy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Nothing wrong with shooting spoons if that's the most common bird of the day in the sky. As mentioned above think of it as population control. I'll take 7 spoonies over 7 nothing any hunt of the season. On a good day sure I'll pass if I can fill the strap with bigger ducks, but in the end they all taste the same to me. Diver's I just don't shoot, I don't really see them as ducks for the most part, just not what I'm after.
Camocynergy
hunter
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Your input please.

Postby yellowlabhunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:15 pm

deltahunter wrote:Seriously? I think your just trolling so I guess I'll bite. This is the most ridiculous request I've seen on any of these boards. This is a duck hunting site where people post their hunting results. Believe it or not some folks like shooting spoons or divers(i.e.-Gene) and some folks like reading about their success. If you don't maybe you should start your own site dedicated to duck hunting snobs who only shoot "good birds". I'll bet the following would be much smaller than the sites letting all the rest of us post about our "trash birds".


As you see nothing wrong with shooting the Spoons....I see there is nothing wrong with passing on them. I posed a question and I am receiving feedback. You feel a certain way and so do I. It does not make you, me or someone else lesser or superior. I did not get raised going after Spoonies. That is the way I hunt. Yes I have had them in ravioli...sausage.... and prepared other ways...they are OK to me. I am not trolling and was serious. If a Spoony hunt fills your strap good for you....carry on. But, I myself am not after them because nothing else is flying.... you call that a "Snob" I call it reasonable in my book. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Your input please.

Postby deltahunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:07 pm

yellowlabhunter wrote: If a Spoony hunt fills your strap good for you....carry on. But, I myself am not after them because nothing else is flying.... you call that a "Snob" I call it reasonable in my book. Be well.

Dave


Just don't report on it because you don't want to hear about it. Only report on "good duck". Yeah you come off as a douche when you ask people to do that. And that's exactly what your original post did.
deltahunter
hunter
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: CA.

Re: Your input please.

Postby yellowlabhunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:43 pm

deltahunter wrote:
yellowlabhunter wrote: If a Spoony hunt fills your strap good for you....carry on. But, I myself am not after them because nothing else is flying.... you call that a "Snob" I call it reasonable in my book. Be well.

Dave


Just don't report on it because you don't want to hear about it. Only report on "good duck". Yeah you come off as a douche when you ask people to do that. And that's exactly what your original post did.


A "Douche" nice...original! I recall I asked about input and asked about the thoughts of the hunters respectfully. No insults were thrown out at anyone....but you appear really offended for some unknown reason over a question? Perhaps you identify a reasonable question as a threat and believe you speak for all? Hey if all you shoot are Spoons and believe they are Mallard good for you. I presume that "You" are the voice of reason of this site and if you view a question as absurd....then others shall? Sir, I suggest you should lighten up and enjoy life. What you willwill realize seeing me here...I will not throw personal insults upon hunters here for voicing their questions and opinions. I will not appear to know all and have all the answers. I'm here to share a passion that many do...respectfully. Anyway, I don't know you nor do you know me....you may be a good guy, however this is only a website for all to enjoy. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Your input please.

Postby KenaiHunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:03 pm

:clapping: Here we go :clapping:
KenaiHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:05 am

Re: Your input please.

Postby yellowlabhunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:13 pm

KenaiHunter wrote::clapping: Here we go :clapping:


No sir....being civil only.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Your input please.

Postby SmackinTheQuackin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Your request is ridiculous sir. Some people are very proud of any and every duck or goose they shoot. It's a respect thing, and most of us learned that as children when we were learning how to hunt growing up. Every bird shot has a story. Not saying I don't pass on birds too sometimes. If I'm not interested in what's flying I have no problems packing my things and going home. I also don't agree with people posting they're bird totals of the year, for reasons that really shouldnt need explaining...But back to the subject. If you want only green heads, there are places where you can pay to shoot farm raised mallards as they are released. They may even put bands on them if you ask lol...

It seems to me by the question that you asked, that you may not have the same love and passion for this sport as most of us do. I love waterfowling. I find beaut in every bird I take as well as eat every bird I take. I think your question is rubbing people the wrong way and I understand why. It comes off as "stuck up" and to be honest I don't see any real reason for you to request what you did in the first place.

I hope your season is filled with only drake mallards and chocolate headed sprig

Happy hunting.
HUNT TO HUNT ANOTHER DAY

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY DUCKS UNLIMITED CHAPTER

"hold my beer...watch this"
SmackinTheQuackin
hunter
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:19 am
Location: walnut creek california

Re: Your input please.

Postby yellowlabhunter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:16 pm

SmackinTheQuackin wrote:Your request is ridiculous sir. Some people are very proud of any and every duck or goose they shoot. It's a respect thing, and most of us learned that as children when we were learning how to hunt growing up. Every bird shot has a story. Not saying I don't pass on birds too sometimes. If I'm not interested in what's flying I have no problems packing my things and going home. I also don't agree with people posting they're bird totals of the year, for reasons that really shouldnt need explaining...But back to the subject. If you want only green heads, there are places where you can pay to shoot farm raised mallards as they are released. They may even put bands on them if you ask lol...

It seems to me by the question that you asked, that you may not have the same love and passion for this sport as most of us do. I love waterfowling. I find beaut in every bird I take as well as eat every bird I take. I think your question is rubbing people the wrong way and I understand why. It comes off as "stuck up" and to be honest I don't see any real reason for you to request what you did in the first place.

I hope your season is filled with only drake mallards and chocolate headed sprig

Happy hunting.


I read your reply, hey I am good with it. You have made your point well, no argument at all. If we all agreed on our points of view it would be boring. I am not here to bash anyone. Most of all the replies have been reasonable and honest. If I insulted a person that was not my intention at all. However, I asked and now I receive, I respect all comers. We are persons of all backgrounds here, and share a passion. However, I asked a question, without having malice and I stand by what I asked. I hope this will ease some tension? But if you choose to throw a personal insult my way over this topic so be it. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Your input please.

Postby friedcoot » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:55 pm

The drake northern shoveler is one of the finest looking birds when in full plumage. I'm sure if the American coot had something substantial in the way of colorful plumage, it would be harvested more often.

If I see a young hunter with some shovelers on his or her strap, it's going to be a positive, great job, kind of comment. No one on this forum can honestly say they have never harvested a coot or shoveler. I certainly shared in the harvest in my younger years. Over time though, you learn that certain species of fowl are not only fowl tasting but down right stupid. Shooting a strap full of spoonies, ruddies, and bufflehead is something best left for the ones who do not know yet how to be patient or want to just "kill something".
The reason no other birds are flying is because your shooting your live decoys and your not happy unless you got something on your strap or, as one pointed out, where they hunt, the number one bird, is spoonies.
As for posting your bag, what does it matter? The best way to find out if the birds are "in" is to hunt, hunt, and hunt. Keep records and watch the weather. Over time, you'll be able to figure out the best days without looking at scores.
User avatar
friedcoot
hunter
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 am
Location: Behind a laptop

Re: Your input please.

Postby diverduckduster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:52 am

Spoonies = pepperoni sticks = happy wife = more days of hunting for me = priceless. I see your point Dave. Good for you on hunting only the good birds. I personally enjoy watching birds decoy and come in, and spoonies do that quite well. I was raised to be happy with lord blesses us with. For me spoonies = :sniper: No one is right or wrong here, just different opinions. Good luck everyone.
diverduckduster
hunter
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:59 pm
Location: Lake county

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 34 guests