Howard slough ?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Howard slough ?

Postby diverduckduster » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Got drawn for Howard slough for the 17 th of this month. Ressi # 14. Never been to Howard slough before, and I don't hear much talk about this place. Any advice for a first timer to the slough? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to know your spots, just a little guidance in what to expect or not to expect. Thanks for reading. :thumbsup:
diverduckduster
hunter

Re: Howard slough ?

Postby jmonte35 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:34 pm

diverduckduster wrote:Got drawn for Howard slough for the 17 th of this month. Ressi # 14. Never been to Howard slough before, and I don't hear much talk about this place. Any advice for a first timer to the slough? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to know your spots, just a little guidance in what to expect or not to expect. Thanks for reading. :thumbsup:

Well ill give you the honest answer. Howard has been very poor this year and will likely be poor next year. They didnt plant rice this year and there is nothing to hold birds except for closed zone water. It will have birds but don't have high expectations like years past.

Expect a blind or pond that hasn't been shooting very good or try your luck at free roam and pray you find a spot the ducks want in. Expect sunny November doldrum weather with a flight that last right up to LST than shuts down as soon as you take the safety off.
That's what you can expect...

Hope for high winds and a good migration of ducks.
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
Suisun Marsh D.U. Chapter Chairman
2013 3rd annual Military Appreciation Dinner Date TBD
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SuisunMarshDU
www.suisunmarshdu.com (website down until we have next years date and info nailed down)
jmonte35
hunter

Postby KeepOnDucking » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:46 pm

What jmonte said. I was there this morning with my dad and we got 1 each. Pray for weather and new birds.
KeepOnDucking
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:53 pm

I always get pretty close to a limit
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby DkKiller » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:58 pm

What's been said is the truth. HS es no bueno... If you want to enjoy a sunrise and get up 3 to 4 hours before the crack of dawn go for it. Along with the rice gone half the refuge does not have water. More could be in now but when I stopped by the place a couple weeks ago water conditions were poor.

If the storm door opens give it ago. Otherwise you'd be better off going to another refuge. Good luck in what ever you decide.

DK
DkKiller
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks for the help, looks like it will be a rough one :fingerhead:
diverduckduster
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:07 pm

It's all about the experience. Good duck hunt doesn't always have to end up with birds on the strap :thumbsup:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby rodzilla » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:50 pm

JMonte is on the money, what he said. That's too bad about the place, most of folks I have spoken to that have been there this year have told me the same, but don't let it discourage you. Get out there hunt, beats sitting in the couch. Sadly the UBB refuges are not doing so hot. Maybe free roam and hitting the chickens after the morning flight is done?
rodzilla
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:32 am

Thanks for the help fellas. I will give it a go and enjoy the company of my brother and friends. We will have fun regardless of birds or not. Your right it's not all about killing. I will let you guys know how it goes for sure. Thanks again
diverduckduster
hunter

Postby lt1chevelle » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:39 am

I have resi #1 for HS and I'm not going, instead I'll use my #8 at delevan! Hopefully it picks up later in the season, good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
lt1chevelle
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:02 am

Here is some advice.

Make a weekend out of it. Go Saturday. You may get on in the morning, you may not. But you'll get on sometime. You'll be able to see what is going on. Then, you'll make the most out of your Sunday ressi.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:00 am

HS is BAD right now. Buddy of mine who is a really good duck hunter had #2 last week. Drew the best blind on the place and saw one duck in shooting distance. That big.north wind probably made things fun for awhile sunday butnit probably also pushed a bunch of birds south out of.the area. With yiur 14 you will probaby jave a chance at a top 5 blind due to the number of no shows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Remember, it's going to be a zoo out there with all the pheasant hunters, but if you free roam near the tree lines you should be able to scratch a couple of woodies.
#4Buckshot
hunter

Postby Gomerking » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Won't be a zoo on the second Sun of pheasant season...
Earning Your Respect One Post at a Time

Dacowboy wrote:Jesus christ it's like the last day on Fiji with you guys on here.
Gomerking
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys really appreciate it :huh:
diverduckduster
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Pheasants are practicaly extinct out there..wont be many pheasant hunters after the first day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:48 am

I've had some great shoot's out there in the past. Too bad bout it's current condition. Still think with some weather/water it might shoot. I remember 1 blue bird day with few hunters and nobody around, every bird worked in, twas magic.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby ducksbucksandbulls » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:47 am

Pray for weather...
ducksbucksandbulls
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:54 am

I had resi #5 last saturday, took a pretty good blind, had an opportuntiy at 4 birds right after LST, and then that was it. The closed zone was not fully flooded on 11/2 and as others said with no planted rice its struggling to hold birds. There are better refuges close by, but its also an opportunity to check things out at howard and learn a new area. Slow duck day is better than being at work!
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby ducksbucksandbulls » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:32 am

There is a ton of rice next to HS.
We hunt a rotation right next door. Monday, 4 ducks the first 1/2 hour and it was over.
thurs. 3 ducks and a spec the first 20 min, and it was over.
Same last week.
3 birds the first 10 minutes then never saw a duck for an hour and left.
I've been to howard slough the next hunt day after the entire refuge shot 17 birds and we killed 11 out of a good blind. You never know unless you go.
Need weater. I'd
Stay home on a Sunday when it's going to be 75 degrees, sunny and no wind.
Sitting on the creek was a good idea for woodies...
ducksbucksandbulls
hunter

Postby Calikev » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Howard Slough sounds like the Grasslands every day right now. Try to kill a bird or two and that is about all you can expect.

If guys sit around on the forums and wait for the hunting reports to be good to go hunt a place then you are going to miss "the day" when it all turns around. You have to go every chance you get and hunt hard. Just know what you should expect in November.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:47 pm

They don't call it Howard Slew for nothing.

Wait. They do call it that for nothing. Because there is nothing there. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting