GRAY LODGE :HUNTERS NEED TO KNOW:

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

GRAY LODGE :HUNTERS NEED TO KNOW:

Postby riverhunter3 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 pm

OVER THE PAST TWO SEASONS WE HAVE SPENT A GOOD AMOUNT OF TIME SCOUTTING AND WATCHING THE NEW CONSTRUCTION BEING DONE TO THE VARIOUS PONDS ..THERE HAS BEEN A RED FLAG RAISED : DUE TO THE DIRECTION THE LODGE IS TAKEING :mad: .FOR SOME REASON THE STAFF OR MANDGMENT HAS DECIDED THAT PONDS THAT WERE ONCE A GOOD SIZE FIELD SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALLER FIELD,OR PUTTING A NEW ROAD OR LEVEE THREW THE CENTER ARE GOING TO MAKE HUNTING CONDITIONS BETTER.GRAY LODGE HAS STRUGGLED OVER THE YEARS AND THE DIRECTION OF TURNING THE HUNTING UNIT INTO NOTHING BUT 12-20 AC FIELDS IS GOING TO HELP. JUST LOOK AT THE AREA EAST OF PARKING AREA 3 NOW 2 GREAT PONDS ARE ALL JACKED UP WITH LEVES AND A ROAD. THIS WILL ONLY CRIPPLE THE HUNTING PROGRAM FURTHER..LOOK AT L.D.C.-COLUSA ,DELVEN THERE IS A COMMON SENCE APPROUCH TO DEVELOPING GREAT WETLANDS ..LARGE FIELDS = A LARGER WETLAND BASE AND QUALITY HUNTING. HOW HARD CAN IT BE FOR THE MANAGMENT TO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS PROCESSS.THEY SEEM TO UNDERSTAND IT IN THE CLOSED ZONE. HMMMM MAKES YOU WONDER.... :no:
riverhunter3
hunter

Re: GRAY LODGE :HUNTERS NEED TO KNOW:

Postby Tyrtruion » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Now you can be even closer to that guy that's peppering you from the other side...
Just remember... The ones in charge don't actually want you killing wildlife.
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:59 pm

Yeah they are trying to get more assigned areas in so they can generate revenue. The hunting may suffer a little but I doubt that much... More people=more $$=more water=more birds :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby OR-7 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Management with the assistance of CWA people. CWA did all the work out there. Your hard earned dollars at work from many different angles :hammer:
I don't need no stinkin' CREW!!
OR-7
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:40 pm

riverhunter3 wrote:OVER THE PAST TWO SEASONS WE HAVE SPENT A GOOD AMOUNT OF TIME SCOUTTING AND WATCHING THE NEW CONSTRUCTION BEING DONE TO THE VARIOUS PONDS ..THERE HAS BEEN A RED FLAG RAISED : DUE TO THE DIRECTION THE LODGE IS TAKEING :mad: .FOR SOME REASON THE STAFF OR MANDGMENT HAS DECIDED THAT PONDS THAT WERE ONCE A GOOD SIZE FIELD SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALLER FIELD,OR PUTTING A NEW ROAD OR LEVEE THREW THE CENTER ARE GOING TO MAKE HUNTING CONDITIONS BETTER.GRAY LODGE HAS STRUGGLED OVER THE YEARS AND THE DIRECTION OF TURNING THE HUNTING UNIT INTO NOTHING BUT 12-20 AC FIELDS IS GOING TO HELP. JUST LOOK AT THE AREA EAST OF PARKING AREA 3 NOW 2 GREAT PONDS ARE ALL JACKED UP WITH LEVES AND A ROAD. THIS WILL ONLY CRIPPLE THE HUNTING PROGRAM FURTHER..LOOK AT L.D.C.-COLUSA ,DELVEN THERE IS A COMMON SENCE APPROUCH TO DEVELOPING GREAT WETLANDS ..LARGE FIELDS = A LARGER WETLAND BASE AND QUALITY HUNTING. HOW HARD CAN IT BE FOR THE MANAGMENT TO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS PROCESSS.THEY SEEM TO UNDERSTAND IT IN THE CLOSED ZONE. HMMMM MAKES YOU WONDER.... :no:

Yah.. COMMON SENCE MANAGMENT OF THE LEVES......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Type louder. I couldn't hear you. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Nabs » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:33 pm

No-one to blame but the hunters that area, it used to be a very nice place to hunt. Now you get set up and have people move well inside the 100 yard radius and problems ensue. Look for smaller fields with assigned ponds coming very soon to a refuge near you!
Nabs
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Nabs wrote:No-one to blame but the hunters that area, it used to be a very nice place to hunt. Now you get set up and have people move well inside the 100 yard radius and problems ensue. Look for smaller fields with assigned ponds coming very soon to a refuge near you!

This X 10.

Most of the time when something is converted it's because lazy hunters that are too stupid to scout, go to the same places over and over again, regardless of who was there first. Those guys feel as entitled as welfare queens.

It appears that the lazy are winning.
Last edited by slowshooter on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:01 pm

slowshooter wrote:Type louder. I couldn't hear you. :lol3:

WHHHHHHHHHAT DO YOU MEAN? :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby bellabitch » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:53 pm

I have the answer to this problem. Don't hunt at Gray Lodge. :clapping:
bellabitch
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:48 pm

:hi:
Last edited by finsnfeathershunter on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finsnfeathershunter
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:20 pm

bummer on the lot 3 changes. Many great memories from the past. Always floated the decoys with a rolled bamboo fence blind and refuge stool on top. That big water area was a great siphon and plenty of room for everyone to work it. Sorry for your loss :sad:
friedcoot
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:51 pm

nabs is correct
The refuge managers are tired of hearing all the stories about how "other" people are always crowding in, and have better things to do than drive/walk or glass the area for the culprits every time they hear the complaints. So, they're just going to fix the problem, something that we "hunters" seem un-capable to do by ourselves, by sterilizing the habitat so that "crowding" either becomes too obvious to pull off, or, is impossible to do because of the new "layout".
#4Buckshot
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:29 am

I dont know specifically about the pond we are talking about here but I do know that right now a huge aspect of nearly every project within state and fed properties is more efficient water delivery. There are fields that have historically been a huge pain to flood up and draw down and in the end cost the dept a ton of wasted money. So I will play devils advocate here and say there is probably an entirely different side to this that has not been represented. I will also go out on a limb and say the lodge is not leaning toward assigned ponds. Everyone realizes the traditional use of Gray Lodge and changing that is not on the agenda.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby Calikev » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:28 am

Levees are created to manage water more efficiently. Larger ponds are more difficult to flood up and control what you are growing in there. The State is not working with the same resources as the Feds and that's not saying much. Water control and conservation is the wave of the future here in California. You have to do more with less. Flooding up water pig units that suck up the water wastes precious resources.

If you want large sheet water ponds then yes the Sac Complex refuges are the place for you. There is nothing particularly good about that style of management IMO. Grow nothing, irrigate nothing and just mow and flood up. Some guys like that sort of habitat I guess as they figure the rice will feed the birds and the birds will roost on that big water. However, the lack of vegetation on those ponds, particularly the lack of food has led to the demise of those areas and it shows by what birds are being shot there these days. Long gone are the days of the great mallard shoots there. They are fewer and far in between.

Not that Gray Lodge is a mallard haven but I think the habitat there is better than the Complex. They just don't have near the sanctuary and have had a lot of birds taken from adjacent areas. A lot has changed in the way the birds use the valley. Even with that said I think the Lodge could be better if they had the ability to flood when they need to and keep birds there year round.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby fullpattern » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:30 am

The pond at parking lot 2&3 was the largest pond at Gray Lodge hunting area and yes it was cut in two by a new Irigation canal that was desighned and built by Duck Unlimited. That was done about 6 years ago I think. That area was a great unit before it was disected in two parts. I use to hunt there quite a bit. The work done since on the wetlands units has ben mostly done by CWA. The canal work done by Duck Unlimited was a bad desighn. I dont hunt gray lodge much anymore due to poor hunting. Its not the reliable refuge it use to bee. If you have a good spot keep your mouth shut. Dont go braging on these forums, then wine when youre hunting sites become crowded with to many hunters. If it does go hunt elseware.
"If you call they will come" 2013-14 birds. days in field 26
50 grn wings 19 spoon 11 mal 6 rings 5 gad 3 wig 3 sprig
3 cin 4 cans 1 scaup 3 specks 1 Ross 1 snow
fullpattern
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:52 am

At least they are placing levies. They are removing all the ones up in NW Washington that are prime waterfowl areas and turning them back into salmon restoration projects. It is ruining many prime waterfowl areas that they once used to plant with corn, millet and other food sources. Bummer deal.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Return to California Duck Hunting