The New Guy.... Bay Area to Copper and surrounding...

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

The New Guy.... Bay Area to Copper and surrounding...

Postby Copper75 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:36 am

So I got bit by the hunting bug... Some people have the privilege of learning to hunt when they are kids or teens and usually have someone to show em the ropes. I did not grow up hunting. I was a tag along on a few pig hunts in my teens, but I did not really think about what I was missing out on until just recently. So here I am mid 30s and want to hunt. I don't have hunting buddies (It generally doesn't happen if you grew up in the bay area - San Jose to be exact). I have been out a couple times solo just scouting areas - public land and national forest. Ultimately, I'd like to find some folks that are willing to get out, have a good time, share some knowledge and make some memories. I'm in the bay area but am up in the Copperopolis area frequently. I'm interested in it all - Duck, Turkey, Deer, Pig, etc... Let's do it. :thumbsup:

-Robert
Copper75
Newb

Re: The New Guy.... Bay Area to Copper and surrounding...

Postby rm85 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Salt springs resivoir is in copper an they hav a duck club id go ask them bout it or hit up the delta or refuge
rm85
hunter

Postby Copper75 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:55 am

Thats about 10-15 min from the Copper house. Out in San Jose, I can hit Don Edwards. Is anyone having luck here?
Copper75
Newb

Postby California Sprig » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Hey Copper 75, learning hunting without the help of a knowledgable friend or relative is tough. You can read, research, surf the net , scout areas but that may take years and years to learn the ropes. Going with someone knowledgable you can learn more in a day than years of research. Most people get at least the basics from friends or relatives. For water fowling I suggest finding a good guide and go out for a day or 2. Most guides are outgoing people and are willing to educate. You can learn a lot and and generally get some shooting. My experience on the California board is that there are a few good and knowledgable guys but few people here share much in the way of knowledge or information. If you want to know when a ressi is up this is the board for you but if you want real tips and techniques you will need to look elsewhere.
Up to this year I hunted duck clubs and wilderness unlimited but dropped my membership in both cause I just haven't had the time to hunt enough to make it worth several thousand I was paying each season. I now hunt pheasants at my pheasant club and duck from my boat around Montezuma slough and grizzly island area. If you would like to go out pheasant hunting or duck hunting the bay pm me with a little info about yourself.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Aj thomas » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:26 pm

Hey man I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm 32 and live in discovery bay and really want to go hunting . I grew up in Pleasanton and have fished all my life but never hunted. I bass fish the delta all the time and see duck hunters a lot. I have one friend who has hunted back in high school but doesn't go anymore so he's the only help or advice I know of. I'm interested in hunting any waterfowl or upland game bird and coyotes. I'm more than willing to meet up go try some places out. I know two guys that don't know much prolly won't have any luck but it's better than a day sitting on the couch.
Aj thomas
Newb

Return to California Duck Hunting