Just my opinion...

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Just my opinion...

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:49 pm

As aesthetically awesome as a limit of greenheads looks in real time or photo... And I've shot my fair share. but there is and underlying truth that they fall fair to midland when it comes to table-fare. I think this culture of mallard purists is as phony as guys who buy bands off eBay to fit in. Don't get me wrong, I love shooting green heads, but we are not out here just for a cool picture or to impress the guys in the parking lot. It's about eating what you shoot, and in my opinion there are ducks and some geese I would just rather shoot than mallards for the taste.

My top ten

1.wood duck

2.teal

3.pintail

4.widgeon

5.speck

6.mallard

7. Gadwall

8. Readhead

9. Canvasback

10. Spoonbill (northern CA)

again, just my opinion...

Just food for thought but mallards are habitual invertebrate eaters and are known to eat fish, snails and other things that will alter the taste of the flesh. Again not trying to take the mallard off its pedestal, just saying the not filling the strap with only mallards every time may lead to better eats...
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV


Re: Just my opinion...

Postby Tyrtruion » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:06 pm

2 comments...

1)... You can buy bands on eBay??? Sweet I'll get my first one tomorrow!!!
2)... You didn't list coot....
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:26 am
Location: Reno, Nv.

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Tyrtruion wrote:2 comments...

1)... You can buy bands on eBay??? Sweet I'll get my first one tomorrow!!!
2)... You didn't list coot....


Yes they do...it's where chad belding gets his.

Ummm coot, I wouldn't know lol
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby rm85 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:13 pm

I would have to say that teal an woodies are the best tasting ducks hands down
rm85
hunter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Mallards are my number one choice.. Love them
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
User avatar
wanapasaki
hunter
 
Posts: 2504
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Tehachapi, CA

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby Gazelle » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Love a limit of green! Not a purist. Just love where they live, Natural, flooded timber etc. And the way they work, oh my! You can have your rice and sheet water. Tony
Gazelle
hunter
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:52 pm

Gazelle wrote:Love a limit of green! Not a purist. Just love where they live, Natural, flooded timber etc. And the way they work, oh my! You can have your rice and sheet water. Tony


I'll agree with you there are fun to shoot, but do you wanna add anything about how they taste? Kinda what the thread is about. :no:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby Gazelle » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Oh, I guess I just saw the part about Mallard purist are the guys buying bands on ebay. My bad.... I love to eat Mallards. They taste fine to me. Tony
Gazelle
hunter
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby goosehappy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:07 pm

Kudos for your post! I tend to agree that mallards are kind of m/o/r for taste, but then that is all just a matter of personal preference and culinary skill. I like readheads, ringnecks, teal, and widgeon the most, and goose jerky is awesome. Hunting is about getting food, isn't it?
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:26 pm
Location: far from home

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Gazelle wrote:Oh, I guess I just saw the part about Mallard purist are the guys buying bands on ebay. My bad.... I love to eat Mallards. They taste fine to me. Tony


All good ... Just trying to get a general consensus about people's favorite tasting fowl...
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:15 pm

goosehappy wrote:Kudos for your post! I tend to agree that mallards are kind of m/o/r for taste, but then that is all just a matter of personal preference and culinary skill. I like readheads, ringnecks, teal, and widgeon the most, and goose jerky is awesome. Hunting is about getting food, isn't it?


Thank you sir.... You hit it on the head!! Hunting is about the food!!! but I fret for some people it is about the what others tell them is cool, or what they learned on the outdoor channel. :lol:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby PetriDuck » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:18 pm

For me...
1) Sprig/Speck
2) Teal
3) Gadwall/Widgeon/Mallard
The rest I've never tried by itself... just to the sausage fund for Summer sausage and pepper sticks. :biggrin:

To be honest, once any bird has been eating rice in Sac for a while, they seem to taste the same
PetriDuck
hunter
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby ShootThemInTheEye » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:20 pm

In order that I would eat
1. Pintail
2. Pintail
3.Shot to hell Pintail
4. Speck. after all they are just big pintail
5. Mallard
6. valley rice fed canvasback
7. rice widgeon not the green butt kind
8. teal
9. spoonie only because I have eaten good spoonies\
10 . gadwall.....only if I was starving to death
11. bay divers....see above
ShootThemInTheEye
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby SmackinTheQuackin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Haven't had the luxury of eating a wood duck yet, but hopefully this is the year I get this opportunity. I've heard from lots of people they they are the best. Can't wait. I do love my teal and wigeon though. Mallards and pintail are great too, but I would quite say that they taste "worse" than teal or wigeon, just different. Now for geese...specks take the kitty for sure. Regardless, cooked right, I'm excited when it's dinner time with any of them on a plate.

Good topic :thumbsup:
HUNT TO HUNT ANOTHER DAY

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY DUCKS UNLIMITED CHAPTER

"hold my beer...watch this"
SmackinTheQuackin
hunter
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:19 am
Location: walnut creek california

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby yellowdog53 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 pm

"The culture of mallard pursits" What the hell does that mean? There are very very few PURISTS although many say they are they just can't help themselves when times are slow or hard they resort to shooting anything on those days yet they forget to mention those days in their tales....

Waterfowl in general if not cooked correctly all taste poorly.... Depending on what the duck is feeding on also determines alot on how they taste....... Just shot many mallards in Canada all wheat/barley and peas and they all tasted very good...

Good thread just don't think everyone buys bands or is a purist either :)
yellowdog53
hunter
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 am

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby Rem887 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:52 pm

my list would go something like
1. canvasback
2. pintail
3. speck
4. cinn. teal
5. mallard
6. gw teal
7. widgeon
8. gadwall
9. honker
10. snow goose
User avatar
Rem887
hunter
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:54 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:54 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:"The culture of mallard pursits" What the hell does that mean? There are very very few PURISTS although many say they are they just can't help themselves when times are slow or hard they resort to shooting anything on those days yet they forget to mention those days in their tales....

Waterfowl in general if not cooked correctly all taste poorly.... Depending on what the duck is feeding on also determines alot on how they taste....... Just shot many mallards in Canada all wheat/barley and peas and they all tasted very good...

Good thread just don't think everyone buys bands or is a purist either :)


Oh I don't think everybody buys bands or is a mallard purist... It was a tongue in cheek statement conveying that a lot of the new duck hunters try's to emulate what they see On The outdoor channel,(guys shooting nothing but greenheads) or trying too anyway.
Which is fine, but what we don't see is guys talking about eating them, eating other kinds of ducks. I think we are getting away from the point of hunting with that. Hey if a mallard is your favorite eating duck, then he'll yeah more power to ya, but let's not forget.. We hunt to put dinner on the table, everything else about it comes second. That's why the only show I watch on the outdoor channel is DUTV because they actually have a cooking segment with Scott Laysath cooking up everything from honkers to ring necks. And dude that's awesome you just shot a bunch of mallards in Canada...food wise I'm excited for you but status wise I would be just as impressed with a mixed bag.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks for everybody's input so far... This is great keep em comin
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby Gomerking » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:07 pm

ShootThemInTheEye wrote:In order that I would eat
1. Pintail
2. Pintail
3.Shot to hell Pintail
4. Speck. after all they are just big pintail
5. Mallard
6. valley rice fed canvasback
7. rice widgeon not the green butt kind
8. teal
9. spoonie only because I have eaten good spoonies\
10 . gadwall.....only if I was starving to death
11. bay divers....see above


Couldn't agree more!

GK
Earning Your Respect One Post at a Time

Dacowboy wrote:Jesus christ it's like the last day on Fiji with you guys on here.
User avatar
Gomerking
hunter
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:44 pm
Location: Flocksilvania, CA

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby Nabs » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:13 pm

Image

Perfect bag, perfect day.
User avatar
Nabs
hunter
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Teal.
finsnfeathershunter
State Moderator
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Nabs wrote:Image

Perfect bag, perfect day.


Nice Nabs... That's a good lookin dog and a good looking lanyard. Got mine coming from Roy sometime this week.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby bmoocher » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Just ran across this and it seems to be on topic. She can sure cook a mean duck.

Also, the cameo from Charlie gives me a good idea as to where they were hunting. :smile:

http://youtu.be/tGkpKjm8HbM
bmoocher
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:56 pm

bmoocher wrote:Just ran across this and it seems to be on topic. She can sure cook a mean duck.

Also, the cameo from Charlie gives me a good idea as to where they were hunting. :smile:

http://youtu.be/tGkpKjm8HbM


Yes that is a good piece... Keep in mind she works for CWA. When she is talking about seed eaters , grass eaters, and crustacean eaters. Notice how she cooked a pintail . Thanks for sharing.

Yes that is a dead giveaway ...
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby Southcan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:01 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:As aesthetically awesome as a limit of greenheads looks in real time or photo... And I've shot my fair share. but there is and underlying truth that they fall fair to midland when it comes to table-fare. I think this culture of mallard purists is as phony as guys who buy bands off eBay to fit in. Don't get me wrong, I love shooting green heads, but we are not out here just for a cool picture or to impress the guys in the parking lot. It's about eating what you shoot, and in my opinion there are ducks and some geese I would just rather shoot than mallards for the taste.

My top ten

1.wood duck

2.teal

3.pintail

4.widgeon

5.speck

6.mallard

7. Gadwall

8. Readhead

9. Canvasback

10. Spoonbill (northern CA)

again, just my opinion...

Just food for thought but mallards are habitual invertebrate eaters and are known to eat fish, snails and other things that will alter the taste of the flesh. Again not trying to take the mallard off its pedestal, just saying the not filling the strap with only mallards every time may lead to better eats...


Don't know what the canvasback you've bagged have been eating but I just cooked up a canvasback, woodie, 2 mallards and a GWT for a taste test for a couple of hunters and a couple of non hunters and the canvasback won hands down.
Southcan
hunter
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:09 am

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: derbyacresbob and 17 guests