Just my opinion...

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Re: Just my opinion...

Postby Tyrtruion » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:11 pm

bmoocher wrote:Just ran across this and it seems to be on topic. She can sure cook a mean duck.

Also, the cameo from Charlie gives me a good idea as to where they were hunting. :smile:

http://youtu.be/tGkpKjm8HbM

Great episode... Although I am positive that is NOT... Northern California...
It may be what people from that area call northern Cali...
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:13 pm

Southcan wrote:
sprigpig1 wrote:As aesthetically awesome as a limit of greenheads looks in real time or photo... And I've shot my fair share. but there is and underlying truth that they fall fair to midland when it comes to table-fare. I think this culture of mallard purists is as phony as guys who buy bands off eBay to fit in. Don't get me wrong, I love shooting green heads, but we are not out here just for a cool picture or to impress the guys in the parking lot. It's about eating what you shoot, and in my opinion there are ducks and some geese I would just rather shoot than mallards for the taste.

My top ten

1.wood duck

2.teal

3.pintail

4.widgeon

5.speck

6.mallard

7. Gadwall

8. Readhead

9. Canvasback

10. Spoonbill (northern CA)

again, just my opinion...

Just food for thought but mallards are habitual invertebrate eaters and are known to eat fish, snails and other things that will alter the taste of the flesh. Again not trying to take the mallard off its pedestal, just saying the not filling the strap with only mallards every time may lead to better eats...

Don't know what the canvasback you've bagged have been eating but I just cooked up a canvasback, woodie, 2 mallards and a GWT for a taste test for a couple of hunters and a couple of non hunters and the canvasback won hands down.

Must be all that wild celery they eat. If you eat celery, chicks will like the taste... Well you know lol
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Southcan wrote:
sprigpig1 wrote:As aesthetically awesome as a limit of greenheads looks in real time or photo... And I've shot my fair share. but there is and underlying truth that they fall fair to midland when it comes to table-fare. I think this culture of mallard purists is as phony as guys who buy bands off eBay to fit in. Don't get me wrong, I love shooting green heads, but we are not out here just for a cool picture or to impress the guys in the parking lot. It's about eating what you shoot, and in my opinion there are ducks and some geese I would just rather shoot than mallards for the taste.

My top ten

1.wood duck

2.teal

3.pintail

4.widgeon

5.speck

6.mallard

7. Gadwall

8. Readhead

9. Canvasback

Just food for thought but mallards are habitual invertebrate eaters and are known to eat fish, snails and other things that will alter the taste of the flesh. Again not trying to take the mallard off its pedestal, just saying the not filling the strap with only mallards every time may lead to better eats...

Don't know what the canvasback you've bagged have been eating but I just cooked up a canvasback, woodie, 2 mallards and a GWT for a taste test for a couple of hunters and a couple of non hunters and the canvasback won hands down.

Hey at least it made my top ten! :thumbsup: I've had the ones from the Central Valley and they were awesome!! The ones I've shot in Northern California and Nevada were good but not like eating a wood duck or a teal. So I split the difference. I've said it before In Other posts redheads and Canvasbacks are decent eats!!!
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:24 pm

Tyrtruion wrote:
bmoocher wrote:Just ran across this and it seems to be on topic. She can sure cook a mean duck.

Also, the cameo from Charlie gives me a good idea as to where they were hunting. :smile:

http://youtu.be/tGkpKjm8HbM

Great episode... Although I am positive that is NOT... Northern California...
It may be what people from that area call northern Cali...

It's in NorCal .... Not like Susanville NorCal , like Williams/Maxwell area NorCal .
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Tyrtruion » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:33 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:
It's in NorCal .... Not like Susanville NorCal , like Williams/Maxwell area NorCal .

Yea... Like Williams/maxwell central cal...
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:39 pm

Tyrtruion wrote:
sprigpig1 wrote:

Yea... Like Williams/maxwell central cal...

Trust me I'm from Susanville so I some what agree with you. But if you think of north/south that's like cutting CA in half. Go ahead and look at the state... I'll wait.

..... Ok so if you cut it in half Maxwell/Williams would actually fall in the northern part.

Fu€k I don't know.... tomato/tomato

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Tyrtruion » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:43 pm

I like to cut it into thirds along the voting lines... There's the southern crappy anti gun anti hunting part
Then there's the central anti hunting anti gun anti logic part...
Then there the state of Jefferson.
I'm hoping to appeal to that part of you that agrees with me.

But if you go halvsies then yea... But that's what "they" want you to do.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Tyrtruion wrote:I like to cut it into thirds along the voting lines... There's the southern crappy anti gun anti hunting part
Then there's the central anti hunting anti gun anti logic part...
Then there the state of Jefferson.
I'm hoping to appeal to that part of you that agrees with me.

But if you go halvsies then yea... But that's what "they" want you to do.

Lol state of Jefferson ... Hell yeah

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Tyrtruion » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:53 pm

But... Back on this topic.
This is only my 2nd full season waterfowl hunting so my bags haven't had them all...
2 years ago I shot a hen mallard...
Last year 1 spec, 8 pintail, 3 canvasbacks
This year some GWT 3 RIng necks and a couple spoonies...
And some coots

The list would be
1- spec
2- pin
3- can
4- mallard
5- coot

The teal, ring neck and spoonies are in the freezer

I'm also amazed at how often I miss... Pheasant, grouse, quail... Hunted since I was a kid I can only remember missing a bird a handful of times...
image.jpg
Last edited by Tyrtruion on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:54 pm

1. Wagyu hen

2. Angus hen

3. Hereford hen

4. Brahman hen

5. Nelore hen

6. Charolais hen

7. Simmental hen

8. Shorthorn hen

9. Holstein steer

10. Any teal

First 9 don't fly so well but they do taste good if properly fed and aged.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:02 am

friedcoot wrote:1. Wagyu hen

2. Angus hen

3. Hereford hen

4. Brahman hen

5. Nelore hen

6. Charolais hen

7. Simmental hen

8. Shorthorn hen

9. Holstein steer

10. Any teal

First 9 don't fly so well but they do taste good if properly fed and aged.

The first 9 taste best if left in a grassy field for 2 years to forage their own food...
But that kinda goes for #10 also
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:18 am

I want to try a fish eating diver.. Old squaw.. That's on my bucket list... The first one I shoot. Mounted.. 2nd one.. bon appetite.. :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:41 am

If hunting was just about "the food", I'd do a stalk at Costco. Short drive, no entry fee, no cart limit, no amount of bags limit, and cheaper by the pound.

Just my opinion.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:44 am

blackdog58 wrote:If hunting was just about "the food", I'd do a stalk at Costco. Short drive, no entry fee, no cart limit, no amount of bags limit, and cheaper by the pound.

Just my opinion.

I agree. For many of us, hunting is a mere opportunity to escape into the great outdoors for an experience. I envy those that can hunt, and benefit from the sheer economic value...
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:18 am

blackdog58 wrote:If hunting was just about "the food", I'd do a stalk at Costco. Short drive, no entry fee, no cart limit, no amount of bags limit, and cheaper by the pound.

Just my opinion.

Never said it's just about the food.. Matter of fact nobody did. I said it should be the first reason and everything else comes second.
Trust me I have a whole other litany of reasons I go outdoors to hunt as well as do things that keeps me in the sport of water fowling year round. I think your missing the point of this post. It's about waterfowl consumption and your favorite ducks to eat. Unless your one of those guys who goes out shoots birds and then let's them go to waste.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Calikev » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:54 am

Wigeon above mallards for table fare?

That's funny.......... :lol3:
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:05 am

I agree, mallards are over rated. they are the only duck I've ever seen with rice breast. as far as a list they are in the top 5 maybe. widgeon, teal, and sprig are the most common for me to shoot/eat.

oh about the bands... I don't even put mine on my lanyard. I hate seeing a guy with a lanyard full of bands, just annoys me.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby zkalinowski » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:26 am

I think most of the "Mallard Purists" are also the ones who only shoot 'em in the head, over the decoys :lol3: but back on topic my list is as follows:
1)teal
2)woodie
3)aleutian
4)gaddie
5)sprig
6)wigeon
7)speck
8)mallard
9)spoonie
10)bluebill
All your spoonies are belong to us
zkalinowski
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:54 am

i prefer the kind with a bit of pink in the middle and a sprinkL of garlicsalt only stings for a second.
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby Huck » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:40 pm

My list based on what I have cooked and eaten:

1) Canvasback
2) Brant
3) Sprig
4) Teal
5) Mallard
37) Golden eye ..tasted like fishy liver, just awful. I would only shoot a golden eye again to mount, an incredibly beautiful bird.
Huck
hunter

Postby Southcan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:19 pm

Must be all that wild celery they eat. If you eat celery, chicks will like the taste... Well you know lol

Haha! And I only thought it helped with volume and distance!
Southcan
hunter

Postby Southcan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:22 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:
Southcan wrote:

My top ten

1.wood duck

2.teal

3.pintail

4.widgeon

5.speck

6.mallard

7. Gadwall

8. Readhead

9. Canvasback

Hey at least it made my top ten! :thumbsup: I've had the ones from the Central Valley and they were awesome!! The ones I've shot in Northern California and Nevada were good but not like eating a wood duck or a teal. So I split the difference. I've said it before In Other posts redheads and Canvasbacks are decent eats!!!

Well that makes sense then. I've only eaten Central Valley canvasback and find that I prefer them over all the other ducks.
Southcan
hunter

Postby fullpattern » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:32 pm

I started hunting ducks in San Pablo Bay marshes, and the only ones that seemed to taste any good were sprig and green wing teal. Any other duck needed to be gutted soon and brined to be edible. Shoot a nice fat mallard feel its craw and often it would be full of clams. I think mallards are about ego's due to them being banded more often than other ducks. I have shot a lot more spoonys than mallards and never have goten a banded one. I have gotten six banded mallards in my 26 years of huntings. I only no one guy who has shot a banded spoony. Mallards are way over rated.I would rate best eating as
1 sprig and green wings
2 speck
3 wiggion if they are fat central valley
3.5 canvasback in the central valley
4 wood
5 mallard
6 cinamin teal
7 ringneck
7.3 GAGWELL :help: these can be good sometime and other times taste terible.
7.5 spoony not bad early season north east zone, or sac valley early season. Dog food only late season.
8 all others are dog food.
9 merganzers. My dog said they are cat food!!
"If you call they will come" 2013-14 birds. days in field 26
50 grn wings 19 spoon 11 mal 6 rings 5 gad 3 wig 3 sprig
3 cin 4 cans 1 scaup 3 specks 1 Ross 1 snow
fullpattern
hunter

Postby Highscrapper » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:53 pm

Hell with eating the ducks! Just get those bands on E-bay and throw them in some hot water and veggies and eat the bands. It sounds like some good soup! Does Chad Belding really buy his bands on E-bay? Is there a web site where I can buy bands besides E-bay? I heard the item was so hot, they are sold out. With all these pro hunters out there, I'll bet nobody has over a possession limit yet?
Shoot high and shoot often,
Highscrapper
Highscrapper
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:31 pm

how can you say cans taste better from the central valley? there migratory birds. chances are they came from outa state. so you have no idea what they have been eating. its not like if they eat something differnt for a few days/ weeks its going to make them taste different.
mendotakiller
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting