Calling the shot

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Calling the shot

Postby Winemaker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:11 pm

How do you call the shot when you are hunting as a team? Last Saturday I made a point to tell by blind partner ahead of time to take every shot within range that he thought he could make because the flight was going to die quickly in the sunny, calm weather. Then when the opportunities came I still found myself waiting, trying to bring the birds back with a call that they were sure to ignore, etc. It seems like a quick trigger at shoot time, (in the grasslands where I hunt), always brings back a spoonie but passing on shots early can make you wish for that same opportunity two hours later when everything is ten yards further out.

I would like to get other people's take on this because tomorrow is another day with no wind, bright sun and birds that are not yet responding to calls in any numbers. Thanks for sharing :hi:
Winemaker
hunter

Re: Calling the shot

Postby d_money » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:44 pm

I hunt with between 2-5 people everytime I hunt. We all know the edges will get more shooting so I usually put the more trigger happy or better shooters out there. I position myself usually in the middle of everyone I am usually the best shot in the group having shot trap, skeet and SC competitively for several years in addition to duck hunting my whole life since I was 5. But I try and call the shot so it is equal to everyone in the blind I would rather everyone have a 25yard shot instead of the two edge guys have a 15-20 yard shot. We usually can get the birds right in the hole tho so usually it's just calling it when they are about to land. I would rather attempt to work the birds for another pass and have them fly off than take a marginal shot. There are certaint cercumstances that do need a quick trigger but usually I try and keep away from those and like to find a spot to work the birds. If u are not getting them in your hole try and add a lot more movement to your setup also use other calls instead of mallard. Try and I'd the birds u are working and call to them in there language. Or maybe spend a day and put on several miles walking around to find out where the ducks want to be. A lot of people go to the same spot every time when the birds may have moved 1/4 mile and still be in your hunting area but instead of coming in like the week prior now they are buzzing you to there new area. When I walk out of the refuge I usually take the long way out so I can find out where the ducks are working and take a mental note.
d_money
hunter

Postby Fowl4Life44 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:28 pm

I shoot when theyre inside of 60. Not many get away :lol3:
Last edited by Fowl4Life44 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I shoot Browning's new Black n' Decker Pecker Wrecker!"
Fowl4Life44
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:09 am

wow this only took one reply to go off topic,

we normally only hunt as a pair so our rule is if its a single coming from your side take the shot when you want, if there is a group of birds we talk back and forth to indicate when to shoot, we also try to keep a good watch to let each other know about a bird or birds coming in that the other does not see.

oh but be sure to scout before calling the shot...... :beer:
darkwater27
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:29 am

I guess it all depends on what your hunting. At the refuge? Take the shot if you got it. Out at the clubs or private we usually will pass and let the birds work in front of the group.

Oh yeah don't forget to scout or this all means nothing's. :lol3:
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:59 am

I tell everyone to shoot on "3" then as the birds come in I say ..."one.....two......" then I stand up and shoot just before I say "three".....I keep losing blind partners. ..I dont understand

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby Winemaker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. d_money, I used to hunt refuges all my life until I got too lazy to compete for the spots, so I get where you are coming from. This morning I shot with a fellow club member and we did OK for the kind of day it was, but calling shots was not a problem. We both knew that anything in gun range needed to be shot at because the flight was going to die early.

One other variation that I determined today is that I want to call a shot on incoming teal before they get too close. I think it is harder to track them going away then coming in. Just my thought.
Winemaker
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting