Refuge Cart Set-up

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Refuge Cart Set-up

Postby Greenhead_Wrecker » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:12 am

Alright y'all. I'm getting tired of packing around my decoy bag and not being able to carry any other gear with me so I'm going to buy a cart and a marsh sled. I have decided to buy a Beavertail Medium Marsh Sled. Now I have to decide which style cart I want. I have narrowed it down to the Cabela's Super Mag Hauler game cart, the Swampthing Cart, or a RJP Decoy Buggy's Refuge Rat. So refuge hunters, which do you think I should get? Do any of you have any experience with either of the products? What are the pros and cons of a two wheel game cart or a four wheel buggy? I will be hauling the sled; loaded with a bag of decoys, a blind bag, a bag for my motion decoys, a dog stand, and a tule seat. And I would also like to rig up my cart to my bike. I'm gettin' FANCY! :grooving:

Beavertail Marsh Sled:
marsh%20sled.jpg
marsh%20sled.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 4146 times

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Beaverta ... l+Products

Cabela's Super Mag Hauler:
DecoyCart.jpg
DecoyCart.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 4146 times

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... basket.jsp

Swampthing Cart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgAcTU95xIA
http://www.swampthingdecoycarts.com/id11.html

RJP Decoy Buggy's Refuge Rat:
refuge%20rat.jpg
refuge%20rat.jpg (72.18 KiB) Viewed 4146 times

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RJP-Deco ... 2212322116
Last edited by Greenhead_Wrecker on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Greenhead_Wrecker
hunter

Re: Refuge Cart Set-up

Postby AJCsurf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:05 am

two wheels carts are a pain, and this is from someone who owns a super mag hauler with a jet sled. You almost always have to have someone hold it for you to load it up or take it out if you have a big load. If you leave it staright up or leaning back, your whole contents shift around and slide out of your sled sometimes. For light loads its probably fine but I only use it when I'm going light and walking or I can use my bike. Plus its a pain in the butt to push sometimes because you are are either holding it up the whole time and/or pushing it down the hole time and this gets confounded even more in thick mud.

My next cart will be an RJP for sure. The guy is local to central California and from the looks of his facebook works his tail off to really take care of his customers. Way better than the stuff that shows up in a box from a big box store. I remember my mag hauler showed up with #10 hardware that was supposed to work in 3/8" holes or something like that. The mag haulers serve their purpose but I have been trying to figure out a way to modify it and turn it into a 4 wheel buggy for a while now.
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby Rem887 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:09 am

i have the super mag hauler, love it so much, dont have anything bad to say about it, no matter how full it is its always like youre barely pushing anything
Rem887
hunter

Postby lt1chevelle » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:42 am

I agree with rem I also have one and the lager sled fits on the hauler perfectly, I can hall out deeks,blind bag,dog stand my waders ect. And it can fold down to save some room.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
lt1chevelle
hunter

Postby afmotorsports » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:43 am

Greenhead_Wrecker wrote:And I would also like to rig up my cart to my bike. I'm gettin' FANCY! :grooving:

You might want to hold off a day or two. If you're reasonably close to San Jose or know somebody who can pick it up for you, I'm going to post a cool little refuge cart built from a customized bicycle baby cart that hooks up to the frame of your bike. It's much lighter and easier to tow than a mag hauler and the sled is also set up to carry Featherflex decoys. Let me know if you're interested.
afmotorsports
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:57 am

I HAVE A CABELAS BIG MAG HAULER FOR 20 YEARS, HAD TO SWOP OUT TUBES TO SOLIDS TREAD,,,, AND I TAKE A LOT OF DEEKS, A JUNOR JET JR SLED, BACK PAC WITH LUNCH W/WATER AND A JET BOIL, SEAT, POLES FOR 6 ROBO DUCKS ALONG WITH BATTERIS, GRASS, ECT,ECT.......
2 DECOYS BAGS ARE FLOATED ON THEIR OWN AND NOT IN SLED. SHOT GUN IS SLUNG OVER SHOLDER!
MY HANDS ARE FREE..
Camo paint, new hid head lights soon to be mounted need to modify my racks for shotgun AND A GPS FOR THE PEA SOUP WE ALL KNOW THAT COMMING..
ONCE AM DONE TOSSING DEEKS AND PUT DOG IN SLED..ITS ALWAY BEEN A SWEET SET UP!
THERE SWEET SET UPS PLUS YOU CAN PUT EVERYONE ELSE STUFF ON IT..
puddlehunter
hunter

Postby Greenhead_Wrecker » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:03 am

Ok, now im looking at either the Swampthing Beast Cart or the RJP Refuge Rat buggy. Here is a video of the swampthing cart and their trailer hitch. Nice set-up. Do you think a four wheel buggy would be unstable when being hauled by a bike? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgAcTU95xIA
Greenhead_Wrecker
hunter

Postby SFGregS » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:10 am

RJP decoy buggies are awesome. I've seen and played with a few in person while visiting his shop and now have him custom building a cart for me that will hold my gear and allow a kayak to sit up top (i have no place to keep boat - so kayak it is).

Seems like a good guy with a passion for hunting.
SFGregS
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:26 am

dont use it much anymore, but I have the Mag hauler as well. I bolted longer handles to it so 2 guys can pull or push it without bumping into each other... or having the cart too close and running over your heals as you walk. works great when I need to walk. I hate walking.

today.. everything I need fits nicely in the boat.
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby maritimeshed » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Greenhead_Wrecker wrote:Ok, now im looking at either the Swampthing Beast Cart or the RJP Refuge Rat buggy. Here is a video of the swampthing cart and their trailer hitch. Nice set-up. Do you think a four wheel buggy would be unstable when being hauled by a bike? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgAcTU95xIA

I dont know why but I find this video hilarious.
maritimeshed
hunter

Postby fish dog » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Might want to look at one of these.

Best money I ever spent on any duck gear...check out the review here...

http://socalhunt.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/gear-review-–-ducks-bucks-cart-blind/

Load it at home, roll it into the truck, roll it off at the hunting area parking lot and roll it out to the blind. And, if its an island blind it will float with all the gear on board.
Last edited by fish dog on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby WackNstack530 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Give Rodney a call at RJP decoy buddys. He will build the buggy completely custom to your needs. Nothing else better!
WackNstack530
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:51 pm

Get a 2 child "yuppie" baby jogging stroller on Craigslist. Strip off all the nylon, build a small platform on the back, cut out the front to allow the front tire to spin with mud, and Krylon camo spray paint. Under $50 complete and I tailored it to do what I wanted- like PVC tubes to put in extensions for wind ducks. Light weight and it has a springy suspension that makes pushing it better.

Spray Pam veg oil on the tires to keep mud from sticking (as much).

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow a duck is watching you.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:08 pm

STROLLERS SPACE IS VERY LIMITED....THEIR GOOD IF YOU ONLY TAKE I DEEK BAG.
puddlehunter
hunter

Postby Hawkstp » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Had a buddy try a stroller to, did not go real well.
Hawkstp
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:38 pm

If they build it from a 'single wide' stroller, I can see how it would be too small. I used a double-wide. The other thing I did was add the shelf under the handle, it lets me put stuff like my marsh seat and shotguns there instead of up front.

I have a Drake stand up decoy bag filled with decoys laying down in mine in the picture, and another black bag with some decoys laying on top. With bungie cords, I could stack up up pretty high. It doesn't have a tray/sled to putt stuff across the pond, but it's a hell of a lot easier to push/roll all the stuff than hump it on my back plus a couple of shotguns.

Drake bag FYI. To each their own, I guess.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby Calikev » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:45 pm

I have a mag hauler with the tub set up and I like the tub but hate the cart. I think to make it better you have to modify it and get rid of the solid 20" tires. You need 26" air tires on it to improve the ride and performance. The solid tires are annoying and hard on you if you are on a gravel road.

I picked up a 3 wheel Double wide jogging stroller in the offseason off of Craigslist for $25.00. It is the Baby Trend one so the sled will fit on it and all I had to do is flip the bottom bar around. I added a second bar for additional load handling so we will see how it works this year. It does push better and is quieter for sure. My only concern is how much weight the axles can withstand. It is rated at 100 lbs. so a bunch of dekes, chairs, birds, etc. it will definitely get tested. We shall see but the guys who use them from other areas say they work pretty good.

I don't use a cart all that often so it will see minimal use. I just wanted something that folds up and is a breeze to push. It is lighter than the mag hauler as well.

I'll use the mag hauler when I take out my Predator laydown set up.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby Greenhead_Wrecker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:36 pm

If I want to tow a cart with my bike then I reckon a two-wheel cart is the best option for ease of transport. However, if I decide I want a push cart then the four wheel buggy would be a better option because it can hold more gear and is better suited for pushing due to added stability. If I had the money I would buy both and use my cart/bike combo for the early season and the buggy for the late season. If you could only choose one though, which would you use?
Greenhead_Wrecker
hunter

Postby afmotorsports » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:53 am

If you want a refuge cart set up to tow with a bike, this was custom built from a super light child bike trailer and the tub has attachments for Feather Flex decoys:
Attachments
Refuge cart1.JPG
afmotorsports
hunter

Postby ohlonebaseball » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:28 pm

whichever you choose, all I recommend is to have the least amount of tread on the tire as possible, once we get some rain the mud just cakes on the tires. we changed ours out to slicks. haven't had a problem since.
ohlonebaseball
hunter

Refuge Cart Set-up

Postby bill in san jose » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Have you tried Pam cooking oil spray on your tires? Silicone spray works too.

A lot depends on how much stuff you want to bring out. I saw 2 guys at Lano Seco with one that was big enough to but a dead cow in- with regular tractor tires and a metal bar for 2 guys to push.

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby Nabs » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:22 am

I picked up a wheelchair cheap and switched the tires out on my cart, they roll very easy and never pick up mud.
Nabs
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:59 pm

how did everyones carts work out for them this season
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby bandedbrant » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:57 pm

teamoutlaw wrote:how did everyones carts work out for them this season

Mine worked great. My brother had a baby bike trailer hanging around that we used a few times for the marsh. He took some piping added it on the end and made the cart 6 feet longer with plywood, extra wheels and some metal piping. We could only fit 1 dozen speck floaters before the advancement. Now we can put 3 dozen floaters and 1 dozen full bodies. Really nice for what we do.
bandedbrant
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:01 am

No mud=cart works good. No mud also=shady hunting haha But my cart worked great.
mendotakiller
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting