Refuge Cart Set-up

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Re: Refuge Cart Set-up

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:19 pm

definately looking at buidling something similar to the rjp decoy buggy. I'd buy one if he was in KY.

got several spots where it would come in handy to have a set up like that.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:22 pm

You guys need to be thankful that farmers created the wheel that make your cart set ups roll. Because without the Farmer there wouldn't be processed food and fat women. Also we are all conservatives.

- butt a boing
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby bellabitch » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Built a cart out of a burley bike trailer - it will hold at least a hundred pounds - switched out the tires and wheels for 26 inch Mtn bike ones with quick release hubs. Bought a Jet sled XL ( had to widen the trailer using some copper pipe), The Jet sled XL will support my Chesapeake Bay Retriever (70-80pds) out in the marsh when placed in a tule patch. Really a slick deal.
Attachments
cart.JPG
bellabitch
hunter

Postby Noobhunter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 am

Finished my cart for this weekends jr hunt. Maybe next year I'll get a sled for it. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noobhunter
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:00 pm

iphone pics 126.JPG
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby vanover » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Just my 2 cents, the cabelas cart is what i run, think its the mag hauler, I looked into the RJP carts, great product and priced right. We gave one away at our dinner. It was built tough and the welds and painting and such looked great. One thing to consider, if you get one built do a single front wheel. I loaded the cart down pretty good and found it extremely hard to turn on the levee roads with the dual front set up. Like i said great guy, great product, however if you have a say go single front wheel. Its the only reason i didn't buy the one at our DU dinner.
vanover
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:25 pm

vanover wrote:Just my 2 cents, the cabelas cart is what i run, think its the mag hauler, I looked into the RJP carts, great product and priced right. We gave one away at our dinner. It was built tough and the welds and painting and such looked great. One thing to consider, if you get one built do a single front wheel. I loaded the cart down pretty good and found it extremely hard to turn on the levee roads with the dual front set up. Like i said great guy, great product, however if you have a say go single front wheel. Its the only reason i didn't buy the one at our DU dinner.

Is the single front wheel on some sort of pivot or caster? If its fixed then why would it be easier to turn? less weight in front?
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:29 am

It looks like any one of these carts will do the job, but if you don't have a lot of decoys, I've always found towing the sled works best, which I prefer to do when going back and forth from dry to wet areas, because the wheels would just get in the way. I realize the bottom takes a beating, but you can also add hyfax runners on some models, which add a layer of protection to the bottom. I've been doing a lot of searching for a good decoy bucket, and noticed that a Beavertail sled is really an Otter Sport sled, but isn't really the best that Otter Outdoors makes.

http://www.rapala.com/Otter/Sleds/otter-sleds,default,sc.html

I'm thinking about getting the Otter Pro Sled, which is a lot stronger and more versatile than the Beavertail. It has build in hitch pockets for towing, and optional hyfax runners if you plan on pulling it.

Clam also makes a really durable sled with a higher front end that reminds me of a jon boat.

http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/http-clamcorp-com-ice-fishing-shelter-acc/towing-sleds.html
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby mylabisbetterthanme » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:26 pm

DSC05481b.jpg
DSC05481b.jpg (56.41 KiB) Viewed 906 times

I posted a pic of my cart before, but I had to modify it. It is an old school baby jogger but the front wheel snapped off at the cheap plastic connectors. I kept the rear of the cart and used some wood laying around to redo the front of it. It was a single wheel in front, but I turned it into two with a pivot point for some steering. It held up all season and it actually is a joy to push around. Though it helped that this season we had pretty much no rain at all.
mylabisbetterthanme
hunter

Postby Calikev » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:44 am

I ran the double jogging stroller this year and liked it. I don't miss the mag hauler for sure.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Calikev wrote:I ran the double jogging stroller this year and liked it. I don't miss the mag hauler for sure.

The jogging strollers (single and dualies) are the way to go. The mag hauler might be okay for deer hunting if you like to shoot deer 10 yards from a paved road. But for duck hunting it's overkill. I still use mine though... Even though I can't stand the darn thing anymore.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby vanover » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:27 pm

AJCsurf wrote:
vanover wrote:Just my 2 cents, the cabelas cart is what i run, think its the mag hauler, I looked into the RJP carts, great product and priced right. We gave one away at our dinner. It was built tough and the welds and painting and such looked great. One thing to consider, if you get one built do a single front wheel. I loaded the cart down pretty good and found it extremely hard to turn on the levee roads with the dual front set up. Like i said great guy, great product, however if you have a say go single front wheel. Its the only reason i didn't buy the one at our DU dinner.

Is the single front wheel on some sort of pivot or caster? If its fixed then why would it be easier to turn? less weight in front?

Yes get one that casters. The double front wheels makes you have to either lift up the back or front to get around tight corners. If you can get the RJP cart with the castering front wheel you'll be golden. Makes turning a dream. Its a quality cart, just needs that castering front wheel.
vanover
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:27 pm

slowshooter wrote:
Calikev wrote:I ran the double jogging stroller this year and liked it. I don't miss the mag hauler for sure.

The jogging strollers (single and dualies) are the way to go. The mag hauler might be okay for deer hunting if you like to shoot deer 10 yards from a paved road. But for duck hunting it's overkill. I still use mine though... Even though I can't stand the darn thing anymore.

These guys know what they are talking about...I used the hauler once and it will never see the field again
Continuing to tweak my jog stroller...todays purchase was a replacement net for an Ocean size fishnet...will lash the new netting to the handle end of the stroller frame & the axel
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:00 pm

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:43 pm

I have thought about this for some field set ups also.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:47 pm

puddlehunter wrote:STROLLERS SPACE IS VERY LIMITED....THEIR GOOD IF YOU ONLY TAKE I DEEK BAG.

Hmmm... limited space you say? I've used a single-wide stroller for years now. Silly thing cost me all of $15 at a garage sale, plus a can of flat OD green paint to camo it up. I routinely carry upwards of 4 1/2 dozen dekes split into 2 sacks, a mojo duck later on in the season, my blind bag, my sons blind bag, a jerk string, snacks, Then we pick up a pile of tules / brush along the walk out to the blind & pile that on top. Gun gets slung over my back. Now that my son tags along, he found another single wide stroller abandoned along the RR tracks... we should be able to hump out 8 dozen dekes this season, assuming there's enough water at any of the NVR's to put that many dekes in!

Sometimes I think I'd like to find me a tandem stroller, but a back - to - front style, not a side - by - side. I'm just too cheap to pay what they routinely go for on craigslist around here. Then I realize... I've never felt 'outgunned' for lack of enough decoys on the public refuges.
High Sierras
hunter

Refuge Cart Set-up

Postby bill in san jose » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:51 am

If you're going to build one from a jogging stroller, I suggest you start with a 2-kid side by side model for width.

Mine becomes a catch all in the garage off season- see the shelf I built under the handle. A 2x4 screwed to the main part is what supports it, and a couple of PVC pipes secure it to the frame. I can put long poles for wind ducks to get them up in the air in the PVC pipes.

Just be concerned about balance front to rear. If it's just a little front heavy it seems easier to push on levees with grass and weeds.

I bungee my shotgun in a corner close to the handle. The thing in the middle with white T fitting is a PVC marsh stool, top is a 1x4 with a piece of old carpet stapled on for sitting comfort!

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow a duck is watching you.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby Freezer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:28 pm

I've been building refuge trailers for years. I give them to the ol boys on the refuge. The easiest way is to remove all the seats and fabric. Measure from the folding joint up and over the handle/top bar and down to the next joint. That's how much fabric you'll need. Buy nylon mesh at the local fabric store. Fold it in half and zip tie it to the center of the top rail. Let it hang straight down and and fold at a right angle so it meets the foot of the stroller. Now the sides and top can be zip tied into place and the excess trimmed. The hoops from the shade should be saved they make a great rack for extra gear. Use a strap, buckle and adjustment buckle from the handle to the hoop to hold things on. The seat belts can be used to attach a shotgun or rods to the outside.

These strollers fold flat, the wheels can be removed and they go back together in less than a minute. They push with one hand.
Noobhunter's is a good example of my carts.

I prefer the trailer style but they're a little more work. Most of the time I have to make the third wheel (Stinger) from another jogger stroller and a handle. They hold a sled very well. and push with one hand.

I start by removing all the fabric. I use 3/4" conduit cut, flatten and screwed into place with TEK screws for any additional supports I need. I use wire mesh for the bottom and sides and attach it to the frame using TEK screws and the plastic washers that used to hold the fabric to the trailer. A piece of all thread in the sides near the top of the wheel prevents anything from pressing against the wheel. For the stinger wheel I use 3/4" conduit flattened on the back to attach to the rear support. The front is held in place with conduit clamps. The stinger wheel slides into these and is held in place with a clevis clip on both sides. This way the stinger can be removed for towing with a bike or used as a three wheel cart.

You may need to build a handle for the back. Conduit can be used for that also. Use over sized conduit straps (1') as guides/holds so the handle is easy to remove.

This stroller/trailer also folds flat and the wheels are removable. I have the seat belts on the outside for the shotgun and/or poles.
Freezer
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting