Opinions looking at clubs 2014 thanks in advance!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Opinions looking at clubs 2014 thanks in advance!

Postby Petestella » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:04 am

I have talked to Murdock and broken wing so far. I am also familiar with sutter basin past member and friends current members. Budget $5000.00 if anybody has any other suggestions would you to hear. I am a single hunter so would either need a partner or convince a friend. If you don't want to make it public PM is great. If somebody helps me get into a good club I take that person hunting or buy you some steaks I run a meat co.
Petestella
hunter

Re: Opinions looking at clubs 2014 thanks in advance!

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:13 pm

What kinda steaks we talkin bout ?
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Petestella » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:29 pm

The quality of the steaks is based on the quality of the info. I have America Kobe prime angus choice and select!
Petestella
hunter

Postby straightsixes » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:32 pm

This is a great time to start asking around about club (talking to different managers etc). Best thing might be to canvas internet(which you are doing) and driving different potential areas to ask around.

1. Most of us never would have even considered Prop 91 issues (loss of water delivery etc)... so many rice blinds are currently going dry on hunters who are VERY worried about the current duck season and future season (since the seal on Prop 91 has been broken so-to-speak).

2. Is there nearby duck flight?

3. Is there a speck flight when ducks aren't around (and water gets lean)?

4. Pumps/wells/water district/water taken from bay/sloughs

5. Does it flood out during storms?

In years past I would have just been considering between location and rice/natural. Now there are many other considerations.
straightsixes
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:20 pm

just my opinion, but I wouldn't say your budget out load. its kinda like going to the car dealership and saying I want a car and I have $30k to spend. they'll sell you one for $30k and then you'll see the guy who just bought the same car for $25k.

I had my club all lined up this year like I always do. then my buddy from another club in the sink said that his club is going to be cheaper from this year on. in my opinion most people charge way too much for a seat. I think its actually gotten outta control really.

the best way to explore a club is to meet people. start talking to anyone and everyone who hunts. ask them to tag along one time. learn a few areas this year then make an informed decision for next year.

good luck
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby Petestella » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:32 pm

The reason I gave a budget is so people don't start recommending butte sink clubs or other equity clubs. I am also not asking owners or managers of clubs but hunters who or have hunted them. I am starting the process early so I can talk to people gather a lot of info and make a decision that I am comfortable with. And I do really appreciate the info that people have to share. The 2 that I have talked to have been nice broken wing and Murdock. Both have been helpful and pretty sure some blinds will open which lead to other questions.
Petestella
hunter

Postby hdunn49 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:17 pm

kyle916 wrote:just my opinion, but I wouldn't say your budget out load. its kinda like going to the car dealership and saying I want a car and I have $30k to spend. they'll sell you one for $30k and then you'll see the guy who just bought the same car for $25k.

I had my club all lined up this year like I always do. then my buddy from another club in the sink said that his club is going to be cheaper from this year on. in my opinion most people charge way too much for a seat. I think its actually gotten outta control really.

the best way to explore a club is to meet people. start talking to anyone and everyone who hunts. ask them to tag along one time. learn a few areas this year then make an informed decision for next year.

good luck

I agree :thumbsup: oh yeah... I saw a guy selling seats in a blind on CL for $1500 a seat in Lincoln :lol3: yeah right!
hdunn49
hunter

Postby hntndux » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:53 am

Murdock...North or SOuth??? just wondering..Its a well run operation, the last I knew of the go to guy, he was a bit more interested in conservation then hunting..I think the North might be a better deal.
hntndux
hunter

Postby Petestella » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Not sure North better deal. South everybody says used to be great! Agree seems to be a well run deal. Some people says the whole club doesn't shoot like it use too does anyplace. With all that's around Bering ranch Wild Goose Bird Haven LDC seems like the area would hold birds.
Petestella
hunter

Postby Huck » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Not to hijack the thread but not being a hunter in the Sacramento valley I am curios how the typical valley club works. Are you buying a specific seat or membership? What amenities are involved, a clubhouse, meals ect.. What would one expect to pay (ball park range) to get in a club?
Huck
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:33 pm

The water situation of any club in the Sac. valley is of prime importance. The district or company that serves the property is sometimes the best source to find out about the fine print of their water rights.

Location, I will not list the other two iterations of location. But they are supremely important. First, do ducks frequent the property? Are shooting logs available from the past? Or even better are there current shooters around to talk to? They will likely seal or kill the deal because ultimately, in most club situations, you have to co-exist with the other members, it can be the best of times or the worst of times.

The unity of the club can in some cases obtain leases that a few individuals can't get or keep. Landlords generally want a simple transaction and payment for the lease. A club that is a known quantity to the owner, that can write a timely single check, deal with the minor on the ground issues, has the advantage over a loosely gathered bunch of individuals.

If you really like a property find the owner, make an offer for the entire property, see above. If it doesn't work, keep trying. But keep looking, a better property may become available. This water year is going to turn the duck club market on its ear.
Butta boom
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting