Staying warm

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Staying warm

Postby Porem » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:18 am

What do you use to stay warm on your waterfowl hunts? I am a fairly new hunter and I had a hunt at Sutter last year during a cold snap. I froze my rear off pretty good. I just drew another Sutter hunt for next week and with the current cold snap I would like to be better prepared. I usually just wear kackies under my waders and a long sleeve shirt, sweater and outer layer jacket. This has worked for me in the past but when it's 25 degrees and I am sitting in water it just did not cut it.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Porem
hunter

Re: Staying warm

Postby SmilingDuck » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:35 am

Polypropylene underwear REI Co-Op
SmilingDuck
hunter

Postby zkalinowski » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:48 am

I've abandoned all hope of being warm, I haven't had a pair of waders that didn't leak in 4-5 years. I just wear shorts underneath, I find its actually warmer than wearing pants :lol3:
All your spoonies are belong to us
zkalinowski
hunter

Postby Tito » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:22 pm

I have hunted in some blizzards and have found hand warmers really help. I keep them in a hand warmer deal or in my pockets. Usually the feet, hands, and face get cold. If I can keep my hands warm and can cycle the gun and work the calls, I am happy. Nothing is worse than losing the feeling in your fingers when birds are working....also, good wool socks help out. I wear breathable waders even in freezing temps, and good wool socks and some warm polar fleece pants keep me warm. Better to be too warm and take clothes off than not bring enough and freeze!
Tito
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Get better waders. Like the cabelas supermags with 5mm neoprene
TheMiz
hunter

Postby mylabisbetterthanme » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Good waders and lots of fleece. I refuse to wear anything cotton, unless it is a warm hunt day, then cotton is preferred. I also have some shake hand warmers in my pack just in case. I also tend to bring along, several pairs of gloves, in case one gets wet.
Last edited by mylabisbetterthanme on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mylabisbetterthanme
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:48 pm

You flat out cannot beat fleece. ..even when wet it will keep you warm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:52 pm

one tip for ya, is to dress in layers, base layer, silk, wool, synthetic. insulating layer then your waders.
darkwater27
hunter

Postby dirtytrigger » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Porem wrote:What do you use to stay warm on your waterfowl hunts? I am a fairly new hunter and I had a hunt at Sutter last year during a cold snap. I froze my rear off pretty good. I just drew another Sutter hunt for next week and with the current cold snap I would like to be better prepared. I usually just wear kackies under my waders and a long sleeve shirt, sweater and outer layer jacket. This has worked for me in the past but when it's 25 degrees and I am sitting in water it just did not cut it.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Go on Cabelas and buy new gear!!! Good sales going on :lol:
dirtytrigger
hunter

Postby takemnow » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:38 pm

When the weather turns chilly and windy, I make sure to wear a beanie and fleece face mask. Gloves are a must too. I was out today, and stayed comfortable hunkered down in a tulle patch at a NVR.
takemnow
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Only in CA would a cold morning bring out such questions.... I bring a propane heater with a 5 gallon tank a pair of gloves, scarf neoprene waders 1000 thick wool socks a face mask, beanie and a wind blocker...

I also stand 100 feet from the water and shoot at everything that flies by
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby Shooting wide » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:15 pm

A cheap Old Navy faux down vest under my jacket. Keeps the core warm.
Shooting wide
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:55 pm

ear muffs or a neck gater that can be used to protect ears. 180's are great for me - something like http://www.180s.com/pages/catalog_view.aspx?g=1%2c2&y=7&i=188&c=1. But many styles around at Target etc

Get some heat hand warmers...the kind you shake and then turn hot. Keep them in pockets of your jacket and they will stay warm a long time. put hands in pockets as needed.

Good Gloves

Good thermos with coffee, tea, hot chocolate or soup - whatever you like
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:04 pm

jesus yall act like its -20. I wear a pair of gloves, ones with the tips of the fingers cut off. my levi jeans and boots wool socks, t-shirt and carrhart jacket.
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:46 pm

All good suggestions ( well most of them). You could always stay home and cuddle with the significant other, play a few rounds of duck hunter on the Wii in your heated abode, and go christmas shopping. Maybe stop by the local high end market and purchase a farm raised bird or two already cleaned....You'll actually save some money but of course the experience won't measure up.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:48 am

I'm from Michigan, and hunted on top of ice, and a good hat is the most important thing. I got an old Columbia Omni Widgeon hat that I've had for about 20 yrs or so, and it's still the single warmest piece of clothing I've ever worn. That sucker keeps me so warm, and it's like having an umbrella on your head. It keeps you bone dry in the pouring rain or snow storm. I'm not sure if they are still as good as mine, becuse they changed the design years ago, but I'd buy one in a heart beat, if I didn't already have one.
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby Duckmansmoon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Avery neck gaiter, best Christmas gift ever. Only bad thing about it is when you take it off and the cold air hits your toasty neck. That will get the blood flowing
Duckmansmoon
hunter

Postby fully_loaded » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Shooting wide wrote:A cheap Old Navy faux down vest under my jacket. Keeps the core warm.

Second on the vest, only i opt for the real deal. Nothing like real down to keep you extra warm on those cold mornings. I find the vest much easier to shoot in than a bulky sweatshirt or multiple layers under my wading jacket.
Wine Country DU Committee Member
fully_loaded
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:41 am

I got one of those Old Navy vests for Christmas a few years back, and it's pretty worm. I thought it was a joke when I got it as a gift, because It doesn't look like your typical hunting gear. I never thought I'd use it in the field, but it does keeps me nice a toasty, so now you got me thinking...
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby Porem » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I picked up some good wool socks and fleece under layers plus a neck gater. Hopefully that will help take the edge off.

For all of the other replies, if sitting on the pond freezing your arse off makes you feel like more of a man go for it.
Porem
hunter

Postby fnull » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:01 pm

I know it sounds stupid, but those hand warmers are awesome if it isn't raining. I wear wool gloves and keep a handwarmer in each pocket of my jacket. I also wear a bakalava (sp?) that covers my head and put my hood of my jacket over it...keeps you warm and concealed. The best investment that I have ever made is those little Velcro straps to keep your jeans or pants from clumping...these are all cheap things that make it much more comfortable...
"Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime."
fnull
hunter

Postby Kali_diver » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Just shoot a mallard. Instantly warm and cozy.
Kali_diver
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting