The pup is staying home...

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

The pup is staying home...

Postby kevyg408 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:52 am

So I debated this with you guys, and my dad and I just don't feel good about bringing our dog. Thanks for the helpful points of view, but i'll just lay out the reasoning before some of you slave drivers get on my case haha. He just turned one, weights 68 lbs and gained 4 of those in the last two weeks. He also happens to hunt like his life depends on it which leaves it all up to my dad and I to keep his health in best interest.

At the end of the day, I figure he has many many more hunt days ahead where conditions don't bring in the possibility of damaging his health. It takes the fun out of it for me if I spend time during the hunt checking on the dog getting hypothermia. I'll feel better next year when he had more time to develop muscle and a thick coat. I've retrieved many of my birds in the past and I can do it again.
kevyg408
hunter

Re: The pup is staying home...

Postby mendotakiller » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:24 am

Hey you listened to me! atta boy. At least your doing the right thing in my opinion. Wayyy to cold out there for your best friend.
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:20 am

You risk nothing by leaving him home, you risk losing our best friend by taking him.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:04 am

Always do right by your dog. Some people don't get that...you do...well done.
I have a shorthair that's very fine boned and lean...no fat. he also has very fine hair, almost bald on his sternum. He will never hunt ducks for that reason.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:38 pm

I could not agree more with all! Some people will not give it another thought... they see dogs as only an animal....mine can't hunt anymore she is 13 in Jan. and has done enough. She is indoors full time. I looked at her last night in my warm home and knowing she was content was a comforting feeling. These hunt dogs will do anything we ask of them without hesitation I'm glad to see men on here with doing the right thing. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby blackdog_browndog » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:58 pm

Smart move. I'm hunting in similar circumstances this weekend and have been debating about whether or not to take a dog. The old dog has arthritis so he was definitely not going but the younger one has a vest and a dog stand. I haven't hunted without a dog in 5 years, but your original question and all the thoughtful responses helped me make the decision to sneak out while the dogs are eating tomorrow morning rather than risk anything bad. The upside...don't have to haul the dog stand around AND I don't have to worry about cockleburrs. Thanks again and good luck this weekend.
blackdog_browndog
hunter

Postby Duckmansmoon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:47 pm

STEVE IN SOCAL wrote:Always do right by your dog. Some people don't get that...you do...well done.
I have a shorthair that's very fine boned and lean...no fat. he also has very fine hair, almost bald on his sternum. He will never hunt ducks for that reason.

Steve are you saying that a German Shorthair could be used for duck hunting? Really? I never thought they they liked the water for the retrieves. I would like to hear more about this because I could see my wife letting me get a GSH instead of a lab.
Duckmansmoon
hunter

Postby Revulshawn » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:42 pm

The GSP is a versatile hunting dog, and can hunt and retrieve ducks just fine. I only take mine out in warm weather though. She hunted pheasant in minus 20 degrees in Minnesota no problem, but sitting still wet in 35 degrees is uncomfortable for her.
Revulshawn
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Three weeks ago, I had to strip down to a T shirt hunting on one of our local rivers early in the afternoon.
Today the temp at 10:00 AM was 5*. It stands at 15* this hr, and there is the very lightest snow coming down.

Tomorrow, Jake will be going out on a water hunt with me. We have a spot we can drive to within 25 ft of the small river we will hunt. Jake's tranport kennel will be in our Bulrush blind with us. He will be inside on a woolen saddle pad, facing the decoys.
The river is such that you have to hunt to find water deeper than 6". Jake probably won't be in water over 2", as the water comes out from under a shelf of ice that we will be placing our resting, full body ducks and geese dekes on, with maybe three floaters in 4'' of water in front.
The moving water comes out from under the ice in a slot about 5ft wade and the 4" deep, then across a wide gravel bar 2" deep where the ducks will get hung up anyway. Jake's job is to get the ones out on the ice shelf.
He won't break through, but if he does he'll barely get the pads of his feet wet.
If he does, the transport kennel forces him to lay on his feet to warm them.
He will be wearing a vest. The truck will be close.
The conditions allow him to go with us, otherwise I wouldn't have him along.
The dog will not be denied his hunt, but from this point on, it will all be field hunts.
Last year's opening day hunt. Jake was 7 months old.

Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Where I'm from they have retriever zones, so if you're in one without some sort of hunting dog, they can give you a hefty fine. A long time ago, my dad was hunting in one of those zones without a dog, because there was ice and knew it wasn't required. While he was hunting, a conservation officer came up to him and wrote him a ticket. It was a couple of hundred dollars in the 70's, so he took it to court and won, because there's a rule that says it's no longer required to have a dog in a retriever zone once ice develops, for the duration of the season. So from then on, they started announcing it the first morning they notice ice, saying a dog was no longer required in the retriever zones.

I used to see people taking their dogs with them all season long, unless the area was completely frozen solid, but once it thawed out, people would bring their dogs again, even though the water was just a degree or two above freezing. I seen many labs and chessies running through it like it was nothing. It didn't appear to bother retrieving dogs one bit. I even asked a guy once on the last day of the season, and he didn't think nothing of it. That's my experience with it, anyways.
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:10 pm

My GSP's are from field trial lines, and sitting still in a blind is asking a lot. I have seen some fine GSP duck dogs, though.
if you're primary quarry is waterfowl, get a waterfowl dog. I've always been an upland hunter...just started the waterfowl addiction about 5 years ago. As I get older I'll do less upland, and probably switch to labs.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby Shootin' Lead » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:25 am

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Three weeks ago, I had to strip down to a T shirt hunting on one of our local rivers early in the afternoon.
Today the temp at 10:00 AM was 5*. It stands at 15* this hr, and there is the very lightest snow coming down.

Tomorrow, Jake will be going out on a water hunt with me. We have a spot we can drive to within 25 ft of the small river we will hunt. Jake's tranport kennel will be in our Bulrush blind with us. He will be inside on a woolen saddle pad, facing the decoys.
The river is such that you have to hunt to find water deeper than 6". Jake probably won't be in water over 2", as the water comes out from under a shelf of ice that we will be placing our resting, full body ducks and geese dekes on, with maybe three floaters in 4'' of water in front.
The moving water comes out from under the ice in a slot about 5ft wade and the 4" deep, then across a wide gravel bar 2" deep where the ducks will get hung up anyway. Jake's job is to get the ones out on the ice shelf.
He won't break through, but if he does he'll barely get the pads of his feet wet.
If he does, the transport kennel forces him to lay on his feet to warm them.
He will be wearing a vest. The truck will be close.
The conditions allow him to go with us, otherwise I wouldn't have him along.
The dog will not be denied his hunt, but from this point on, it will all be field hunts.
Last year's opening day hunt. Jake was 7 months old.

I'm hunting a dry field off the Boise River tomorrow... According to the weather channel, Parma will have a high temperature of 17 degrees with a low of -1 degree... I think I'm gonna leave the dog at home
NRA - Life Member CRPA - Life Member
CWA - Annual Member DU - Annual Member
DW - Annual Member GOA - Annual Member
SAS - Annual Member
Shootin' Lead
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:28 am

We hunt our dogs in some pretty cold temps here in the local area. Mostly field hunts when really cold.
Vests, truck close, care taken.
Hate to see the dog miss half a season because it's cold........... but there can come a point.
Mine stays in an Igloo dog house in outside kennel during the day. 6" deep in straw inside. Heated water bucket.
In garage every night, or during sub zero temps with wind. If water bucket starts freezing in garge at night, we turn on the space heater to lowest setting.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby WildernessWill » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:51 pm

Ole Leroy was punching ice at the Lodge yesterday. We were in deep water too so his dog stand was 6 inches under water. I felt bad. His fur was frozen in the morning. We didn't even need him since we were out in the middle of the pond. I know I took 3 months off his hunting career with that one hunt. Next time he stays in the truck and if I sail a mallard/sprig into tules I will mark it with a piece of orange tape and come back with canine reinforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WildernessWill
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting