While I want to agree with everyone that says dogs will flare birds I want to mention some crazy crap I've seen...
1) dog hidden, no calling, birds flying- nothing coming within range
2) same but added calling- same nothing in range
3) walking into pond to rearrange deeks, dog running by my side- spoony locks up and nearly lands on my head.
4) dog retrieving downed downed spoony 10 seconds after firing a shot, in comes another flock
5) dog retrieving downed bird after firin 3 shots, me standing up giving(piss poor and misunderstood) hand signals to dog- in comes more birds
6) me and dog hidden back in the blind- no more birds within range
Up at 4am to go deer hunting, hike 5-6 miles back to camp without seeing anything, pop open a few cold ones and pass out in a chair, wake up at 3pm to a 4 point eating acorns 50yards from camp...
Good hunting tactics?
Sometimes it's just dumb luck...
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.