difference of opinion

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

difference of opinion

Postby skcud » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Hey Guys
My hunting partner and i have a difference of opinion and i know you guys have the answer to who is right and wrong we have a pit blind with covers and here is the question if the birds see a black lab running around the pit will it scare them off i say it will he says it won't bother them no matter what the dog is doing running through the field or what ever.
Next question for you guys if one of the group is calling a group of geese and makes a bad pitch on the call this will cause the birds to divert away from our spot.

Thanks Skcud
skcud
hunter

Re: difference of opinion

Postby sutterduckhunter » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:08 pm

The dog is running around the blind? That will spook birds. A dog just laying at the blind, in the open, I don't think spooks anything.
A bad note on a speck call, probably spook the goose. Not so much on the ducks. Just my .02...
sutterduckhunter
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:18 pm

This would be the last season for me with a blind partner like that. Can't stand guys who have misbehaved dogs and don't own up to their responsibility to teach them proper blind etiquette. I'd be ashamed to own a dog like that. If he wants to let his dog behave like that, he should only take him when he's the only one hunting the blind.
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:38 pm

^^^ :thumbsup: ^^^^ well said
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby Calikev » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Why do guys think dogs don't scare ducks?

A 4 legged dog like shape is something ducks learn very quickly in life to be afraid of. Natural predators look like that. In the practice of tolling the ducks swim with the dogs in sight as a natural survival response. Kind of like deer following the lions around. If they can see them then they know they won't be ambushed. Guys often confuse this with blind hunting. Two different practices. Tolling is like a form of jumpshooting but the ducks are lured in with one hunter with the dog while the other suddenly ambushes them. Stationary blind hunting is a whole different deal. You are trying to convince ducks it is safe to come loaf with their buddies at your set up. The hide is the most important part of it all. Nothing else matters if the hide isn't perfect.

A dog sitting next to a blind is a sure way to scare ducks. Not always but enough to make the effort to cover them up. There is no question with 100% certainty that you will increase your success if you cover the dog up and everything else you can.

Remember............the birds aren't looking for all the things that are right but instead looking for the one thing that is wrong.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:08 pm

Anybody who thinks dogs don't scare ducks/geese has never hunted pressured specks. I won't even have my dog laying still on the check near the blind. She has her own blind down the check away from the blind and decoys.
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Get 2 metal screw stakes with a quick release attached. Put em next to the blind on both sides. Stake dog down on side dog owner is hunting. Have a very short leash. put a mat or dry straw down for dog. It will settle down. More than likely the dog is young and gets out very little. Better spend some training time and shoot some coots.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:53 am

While I want to agree with everyone that says dogs will flare birds I want to mention some crazy crap I've seen...
1) dog hidden, no calling, birds flying- nothing coming within range
2) same but added calling- same nothing in range
3) walking into pond to rearrange deeks, dog running by my side- spoony locks up and nearly lands on my head.
4) dog retrieving downed downed spoony 10 seconds after firing a shot, in comes another flock
5) dog retrieving downed bird after firin 3 shots, me standing up giving(piss poor and misunderstood) hand signals to dog- in comes more birds
6) me and dog hidden back in the blind- no more birds within range

Up at 4am to go deer hunting, hike 5-6 miles back to camp without seeing anything, pop open a few cold ones and pass out in a chair, wake up at 3pm to a 4 point eating acorns 50yards from camp...

Rules?
Good hunting tactics?

Sometimes it's just dumb luck...
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34 am

Look up "nova Scotia duck tolling retriever".
Read about that dog, what it does, and what it's designed to do. In some (many) situations the motion from a dog ATTRACTS ducks. Geese? No.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:09 am

aunt betty wrote:Look up "nova Scotia duck tolling retriever".
Read about that dog, what it does, and what it's designed to do. In some (many) situations the motion from a dog ATTRACTS ducks. Geese? No.

Different senario. That breed is for trolling divers on open water. Not valley rice puddlers. That breed by the way, was addressed in an earlier post. Also, on a different note, I would advise staying away from the over specialized, limited interest, breeds of dogs as they have several inbred issues that will lead to higher vet bills.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby skcud » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:05 pm

So the crew and I went out yesterday Monday in the rice fields yup same crap with the dog but this time i yelled at the owner when the birds slid away seeing the dog and this time he agreed with me wow this was something i was not expecting he actually agreed no argument it was poor day and any chance we had i would tell the owner to grab the dog and hold him man it's been tuff hunting this year in nothern cal cold and windy no birds on the table.

Skcud
skcud
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting