Old sculler has questions

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Old sculler has questions

Postby darcher » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:59 pm

I left California for Montana thirty-five years ago. I am 69 and find that sculling is just too difficult now with three botched shoulder operations. I want to pass on the scull boat that I built to my son who lives in San Francisco. He is dubious that sculling is a possibility there 35 years later. (More of a storage problem I think.) I had great sculling in the seventies. At the risk of being called a "turd-floating, information seeking, sucking leech, I pose the following questions anyway:

Do scullers still have access to Clifton Court Forebay? (Below Stockton)

Is sculling or duck hunting still allowed on Orville's Thermalito Afterbay?

Is sculling or duck hunting still allowed on Tomales Bay?

Now, here is the part that will have some forum users spewing obscenities.

I used to scull up on the Butte Sink on some bypass when it flooded, but it was too long ago to remember. Is there any public water in the upper Sacramento area that I am overlooking for sculling?

I never sculled on Grizzly Bay. Is there public access? Well, if you are a sculler, you maybe could understand why I would like to pass on a scull boat that I built myself. I owned four scull boats in my life. The best one was a one-man boat from Humboldt Bay. My boat is a two-man boat, and I think it is almost as good. I want to come down and take my son out before I give up and sell it. He killed his first mallard and goose in this boat. Anyway, any guidance will be appreciated, and remember, a sculler out on the open water pushes birds to your blind!

PS- I sculled on the bay out of Petaluma a couple of times, but I was never very successful. I damned near got run over by a big boat in the fog. Another time I lost count of time and found myself struggling in mud on an out-going tide. Some scullers used to do fairly well out there, however.

Dave Archer
darcher
hunter

Re: Old sculler has questions

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Check your PM's Dave. :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Watched a guy sculling on the afterbay this weekend..it was exciting just to watch. We had our binocs on the hunter and could see the birds he was moving on...a pair of mallards. We watched him for 30 minutes and he finally got both birds ...we were hooting and hollaring and as excited just watching.. ...long answer. Yes you can scull the oroville afyerbay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby darcher » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:37 pm

You brought back an old memory. When my sons got their license years ago, I stuck them in the front as the gunner. When we spotted birds, I would tell my son to lay back and not look up until I told him to shoot. I would count off the yards and describe the situation in a whisper. During the long, slow scull, I would get him so excited I could feel them shaking in anticipation. (Literally) Finally, I would tell them what bird I wanted them to sit up and fire on. It was a hoot. During my oldest sons first season, I sculled on maybe six to eight honkers and pushed them into a small bay. A few of them walked on to the shore, while I came to a stop in shallow water. "Take the goose on the left and don't stop shooting until he is dead," I said. Darin bolted upright and aimed at the goose on the left. Both geese just froze. "What do I do?" whispered my son. I could have sat up and whooped, but I said, "Sluice him!" Darin pumped three shots into one goose. The goose on the left was dead on the first shot. The other flew away. He could have had an easy double. I had no twinge of guilt. My kid got his first goose.
darcher
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm sure Gene filled you in to this site as well.
http://thescullersforum.freeforums.org/ ... -t139.html
friedcoot
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting