That other site

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

That other site

Postby gaddy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:03 am

Bunch of cry babies! Shhhhhhh all the refuges are a secret. There are no ducks or geese on any of the refuges, especially delevan or sac. From now on, you can only say you shot your birds in north america. :lol3:
You have to shoot 3 1/2in shells to kill ducks. Period.
gaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Bay Area


Re: That other site

Postby Gazelle » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Trouble is, if you mention a good shoot at a specific Refuge you WILL have a tougher time lottoing in. 100's of lurkers on both sites looking for info. Advertising works!!!
Gazelle
hunter
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: That other site

Postby gaddy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Not really. I had a great shoot at ldc blind 2 and 6 before. Oh damn I just burned that one. People just need to calm down. No secret that refuges holds birds.
You have to shoot 3 1/2in shells to kill ducks. Period.
gaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: That other site

Postby greenomics » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I got in Delevan off the lotto in the morning. Hunted free roam south of blind 2. Finished with 4 ducks and 1 goose.

Just to peeve off the sensitive whiners....
greenomics
hunter
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:43 pm
Location: Davis, CA

Re: That other site

Postby greenomics » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:58 pm

gaddy wrote:Not really. I had a great shoot at ldc blind 2 and 6 before. Oh damn I just burned that one. People just need to calm down. No secret that refuges holds birds.


I hear blinds 1,3,4,7,8,9,10 can be good too. And free roam.
greenomics
hunter
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:43 pm
Location: Davis, CA

Re: That other site

Postby gaddy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:10 pm

you dont say? hunting in the morning at delevan and you shot birds? hurry lets all get in line for weds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hammer:
You have to shoot 3 1/2in shells to kill ducks. Period.
gaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: That other site

Postby fish dog » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Gazelle wrote:Trouble is, if you mention a good shoot at a specific Refuge you WILL have a tougher time lottoing in. 100's of lurkers on both sites looking for info. Advertising works!!!



True...and BTW, there are no birds at San Jacinto...everybody needs to go to Wister or Kern or further north. Thanks for listening.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
User avatar
fish dog
hunter
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:00 am
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: That other site

Postby blackdog58 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:17 am

So, let me ask you. Why is it important to tell folks where you shot? You want to show a pic, tell a story, and all the rest cool but why does the spot has to be told? Why make it harder for yourself at a later date?

Please don't tell me there are no secret spots. There may not be, but not everyone knows (you can tell by people always asking where to go) these areas as well as the when to go there. The when is as important as the where. Some spots one may be able to get to off the bottom of the lotto. Couple "look at me I'm good post" about that same area, it'll turn it into a need a ressi spot. Maybe you have a ressi all the time?

A great satisfaction in hunting happens when after some duckless days, experience, putting a plan together based off of that, you go there, execute and come in with a nice bag.

While you're at it, why do you need 3.5 inch shells to kill ducks, period??

No one can control what people write on these forums. I'll tell you this though. I know a guy that would always tout the line you are doing so now. He would always try to be everyones friend. He got invited on some hunts by folks he met off these forums. He had some good hunts in places he never went or had access too. He talked openly about it. Guess what happened? The invites stopped. Nobody wanted to hunt with him because he had a big mouth. Guess what he did? He stopped blabbing. Guess what happened? He got new invites.

These forums are not for blabbing. They are to share experiences, educate, make new friends, and hopefully get more folks into helping the resource. Spot burning is just that, burning, and has nothing to do with getting better as a waterfowler. All it does is getting a person you don't even know a strap for a day and crowd a spot.
blackdog58
hunter
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:26 am
Location: N.Cal

Re: That other site

Postby Mallards Only » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:04 am

Some people just need to learn the hard way. All you rookies who like to pound your chest and show off, thinking that everyone else will think you're some kind of hunting God will eventually find out that good shoots and areas like that will be one-night-stands after broadcasting it here.
Mallards Only
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: That other site

Postby Nabs » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:16 am

Users browsing this forum: eastbaybirdkiller, Mallards Only, Nabs, renatboost and 23 guests


this is the bottom of the page at 6:11 AM, It is why talking to person at a check station is one thing, typing to the world is a whole different animal.
User avatar
Nabs
hunter
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Re: That other site

Postby AJCsurf » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:34 am

Just look at all the threads with a name of a refuge in them..... thousands of views more than other "not so informative" posts.

No need to name the fuge or location. If you really need to, you can still look cool and feel good about yourself without naming where you went. :beer:
User avatar
AJCsurf
hunter
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:05 pm
Location: CA

Re: That other site

Postby gaddy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 am

blackdog58 wrote:So, let me ask you. Why is it important to tell folks where you shot? You want to show a pic, tell a story, and all the rest cool but why does the spot has to be told? Why make it harder for yourself at a later date?

Please don't tell me there are no secret spots. There may not be, but not everyone knows (you can tell by people always asking where to go) these areas as well as the when to go there. The when is as important as the where. Some spots one may be able to get to off the bottom of the lotto. Couple "look at me I'm good post" about that same area, it'll turn it into a need a ressi spot. Maybe you have a ressi all the time?

A great satisfaction in hunting happens when after some duckless days, experience, putting a plan together based off of that, you go there, execute and come in with a nice bag.

While you're at it, why do you need 3.5 inch shells to kill ducks, period??

No one can control what people write on these forums. I'll tell you this though. I know a guy that would always tout the line you are doing so now. He would always try to be everyones friend. He got invited on some hunts by folks he met off these forums. He had some good hunts in places he never went or had access too. He talked openly about it. Guess what happened? The invites stopped. Nobody wanted to hunt with him because he had a big mouth. Guess what he did? He stopped blabbing. Guess what happened? He got new invites.

These forums are not for blabbing. They are to share experiences, educate, make new friends, and hopefully get more folks into helping the resource. Spot burning is just that, burning, and has nothing to do with getting better as a waterfowler. All it does is getting a person you don't even know a strap for a day and crowd a spot.


Lighten up francis. The forums are just for that, duck hunting. If someone wants to post a picture of a pile of of birds and put the name of the refuge he shouldn't get blasted for it. Last I checked delevan isn't a 1 acre refuge LOL! No one will know the spot where those birds came from. Have a slight case of strap envy? Guess what I hunted greylodge saturday 12/7 WEST SIDE. Oh no, I just spot burned 5,000 acres! Good luck with that spot :lol3: :lol3:

I dont know what an invite feels like. I hunt alone now from nearly being shot by some dumbass. And arguing over a duck is not my cup of tea.

Are you upset that dfg posts the results online? Maybe call them too and raise a fit.

I can't even shoot 3 and 1/2 in shells from my gun :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
You have to shoot 3 1/2in shells to kill ducks. Period.
gaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: That other site

Postby blackdog58 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 am

Carry on Gaddy.

Hopefully, others read correct and understood the intent.
blackdog58
hunter
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:26 am
Location: N.Cal

Re: That other site

Postby Mallards Only » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:31 am

Clueless is as clueless does. Like I said, some people just need to learn the hard way.
Mallards Only
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: That other site

Postby Mallards Only » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 am

gaddy wrote:I dont know what an invite feels like. I hunt alone now from nearly being shot by some dumbass. And arguing over a duck is not my cup of tea.

This line says a lot.
Mallards Only
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: That other site

Postby sutterduckhunter » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:00 am

Mallards Only wrote:Clueless is as clueless does. Like I said, some people just need to learn the hard way.

True statement!
sutterduckhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: That other site

Postby brushrat » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Imagine being a 18year old kid who wants to get into hunting. if you stumbled into this site and read all this BS you'd think it was time to take up golf.
brushrat
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: That other site

Postby PaulyQuackers » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:47 pm

I hunted a lot on public land, and never had any problem telling people what I shot and where, because I like to think I am better than all that. We all paid the same amount to go hunting on public land, and it's not always fun getting up at 3:00am, wasting your entire day freezing your behind off, while you hear shooting in the distance, because you' don't have the time to be there every day, and you can't get any decent information from the regulars who think they own the area. Then again, part of the fun was outsmarting the regulars at their own game. But I bet there would be a lot more people interested in hunting if more detailed information was available, and with the extra money generated, there could be a lot more opportunities for everyone. If you haven't noticed, the number hunters, and the acres of wetlands are declining at about the same rate.
User avatar
PaulyQuackers
hunter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:16 pm
Location: Fresno, California

Re: That other site

Postby gaddy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:10 pm

I like it when I hear people saying go scout it out. I live in vacaville I cant exactly go scout out dakin unit when I was drawn years ago. And when I called the number on the website I was told no scouting allowed. Heaven forbid I ask someone for help.
You have to shoot 3 1/2in shells to kill ducks. Period.
gaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: That other site

Postby Mallards Only » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 pm

gaddy wrote:I like it when I hear people saying go scout it out. I live in vacaville I cant exactly go scout out dakin unit when I was drawn years ago. And when I called the number on the website I was told no scouting allowed. Heaven forbid I ask someone for help.

Or, heaven forbid, you learn new areas the way the rest of us did for years--we went and hunted them--because that's what we are--HUNTERS. We made observations and stored them for future reference. Usually, it meant the first trip was a poor or marginal hunt but we put our time in and learned for the future. Then, when we went back, we were armed with a little more knowledge and our hunts improved as we gained even more knowledge about a given area and hunt conditions. When I hunt up north, I count on either going a day early to scout or I count on the first day as a poor hunt day. Part of not living there and being in the mix every day.
You and members of the "ME" generation all feel entitled to a great hunt simply because you own a computer. Newsflash!! Owning a computer does not make you a hunter! It makes you an internet forum freeloader who feels entitled to benefit from others hard work and vast experience.
I usually don't get in on these discussions as I just don't care anymore. I'm done with the whole refuge and public area scene because of exactly this. But, when guys like you get on your high horse and claim that the public areas are subject to public blabber-mouthing by virtue of being "public," I get riled up. Like I said, you'll learn the hard way.
Mallards Only
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: That other site

Postby gaddy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:01 pm

What hard work? You put in for a draw, with a computer, and hope you get drawn. I dont call that hardwork. Or drop 1500 bucks to shoot a duck in a rice blind. Either way someone had to help you along the way. Chill out phil robertson. As soon as i draw ldc im going to spot burn the hell out of it :lol3: :lol3: :hammer: :help:
You have to shoot 3 1/2in shells to kill ducks. Period.
gaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: That other site

Postby gaddy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Now this site is starting to sound like that other site! I wont say another word until i get drawn :thumbsup:
You have to shoot 3 1/2in shells to kill ducks. Period.
gaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: That other site

Postby Calikev » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:23 pm

gaddy wrote:What hard work? You put in for a draw, with a computer, and hope you get drawn. I dont call that hardwork. Or drop 1500 bucks to shoot a duck in a rice blind. Either way someone had to help you along the way. Chill out phil robertson. As soon as i draw ldc im going to spot burn the hell out of it :lol3: :lol3: :hammer: :help:


This is written with a blind hunters mentality. That philosophy is fine for a blind or AP hunter. You put in, get a low enough draw and go. There is not much secret about it as the numbers are posted on how the blinds shoot at the CS.

Now let's talk about free roam refuges. Where are the numbers posted for each of the parking lots or pond #'s for that matter? They aren't. So how does one learn what spot to go hunt in the free roam? There are lots of different ways. He can beg for information on the net hoping for a nugget or two, he can follow folks from the lots to their area taking notes, he can go out walk/ride around to scout the place, or he can take a knowledgable hunter that hunts there with him to learn the ropes. In any event most of the options except #1 require a little time invested. One has to build up relationships, spend time in the field and actually figure out what is going on at the place.

All the nonsense about "there are no secret spots" on the refuges is just nonsense. This might apply to NVR blind areas or any blind/AP area for that matter. However, free roam spots can be secret. As BD58 pointed out the when is as important as the where. Some units may be hot for a while then take a dive. That is where the secret part applies. Being there to witness the change. It takes time and effort to figure out the next best spot. Living off the traditional X philosophy won't keep one on the birds. They bounce and the guy just goes back to what he thinks is the spot. Come shooting time he realizes the birds aren't hitting there right now. Johnny Come Lately can't live off of old information and consistently be successful. The draws run out and he has to use "current" knowledge to get in some where out of the lottery or sweat line.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:14 pm
Location: Oakdale

Re: That other site

Postby PaulyQuackers » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:39 pm

I beg to differ, I hunt for things on my computer all the time. Some would rather go on an adventure to find what they're looking for, while some of us will search online, which is why I never call tech support for help, because the people you talk to are searching google for the answer. You could do it yourself and save a heck of a lot of time, or you could waste your time and ask someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. Honestly, you figured something out on your own, but you won't tell anyone about it? We wouldn't even have a light bulb if that kind of thinking was normal. Like it or not, this is the information age. There's more than one way to skin a cat, so they say.
User avatar
PaulyQuackers
hunter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:16 pm
Location: Fresno, California

Re: That other site

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:51 pm

gaddy wrote:Now this site is starting to sound like that other site! I wont say another word until i get drawn :thumbsup:


You do know its 95% of the same people from that other site that are here on DHC.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:45 pm
Location: Chico ca

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests