That other site

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Re: That other site

Postby Portuguese Duck Slayer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
gaddy wrote:Now this site is starting to sound like that other site! I wont say another word until i get drawn :thumbsup:

You do know its 95% of the same people from that other site that are here on DHC.

So true..... for one reason or another.
Portuguese Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Probably will regret posting as I don’t think anyone’s mind will be changed. Everyone that has posted and those just watching on the sideline all have made up their minds on what they think is fair, right, best etc.

I do HOPE that before someone responds to my message here….please stop for a moment.

Think about this – as Kev said – as it pertains to free roam areas, especially some that are not hunted by the vast majority, such as Type B or C areas. There are some ‘secrets’, so to speak. They are out there. So, post up that Del blind X had a great shoot. But, I think you have to know though……that in your heart, the lurkers on these sites and others are learning more about these places that YOU hunt. It is true that some do come on to the web sites and use the information shared to ‘learn’ and make a decision about going to a certain refuge or not. And, it is true that if more show up to a refuge, the harder it is to get on. Basic facts.

You may want to think that isn’t true…but it does happen and I have spoken to many hunters that were delighted – to say the least – that the web sites out here publish such great reports. We are a mobile society. Cars take us where we want to go, smart phones keep us in touch with second by second, play by play of our hunts. Go Pro video cameras let us see everything we do in the marsh. For me: Providing specifics about a FR hunt location should be done with people we know and trust. Not posted up for anyone with a computer to see, knowing that the vast majority of those viewing have no desire to be a part of the discussion to contribute. Just come online to get their latest Intel and then make decisions on where they will go.

Most here know that I will share basic and general information on hunting, the system the process and even ideas on how to hunt and where to look. I do that daily on the 4 main sites where I am a member. I am not a person unwilling to share. But, I share with those I trust and that contribute.

Having said all that, let me just say this - specifically about Free Roam refuges, but it also applies to Blinds and APs).

Every hunt does not need to end with limits to be successful. We all hopefully, have a lifetime of hunting ahead of us.

Just go. Go and wander if need be. Find some water and throw 6 decoys out. Don’t wander with a back load of dekes. Go easy on yourself. You may not be in the ideal spot. So what? You will find out as the sun rises. You will hear others getting shooting. Take note. If possible, as guys move out of spots you hear that are 'on fire', move there.

Having just a few decoys will make the pickup easy and you are mobile.

Don't worry for the first trip (or next…or next) if it is a good shoot trip. Use it to Learn. It will make a lifetime of difference.

Use each trip (especially first or second trips to a refuge) as your best “on the spot” reconnaissance.

I am in my 50th year of hunting ducks. I have taken my time and learned a lot about the sport and the refuges available. Will I ask someone I trust for some local intel - sure I do. But, that Intel is kept between friends…..and friends are the ones I share with.

Yep.....I had a ton of 'crappy' hunts early on...but, they have paid off in spades. My 50th year in the marsh...turn 60 years young this Friday, and the things I learned best are those things I learned by doing.

Like I said - no minds will be changed here. But, I do hope that the thought process for why some of us think the way we do about sharing information, will somehow be understood by some.

Go get em everyone! I plan to be out a lot the rest of the way. Good Luck
Last edited by DuckFan on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:39 pm

Good post Rick and Kevin. Real easy to tell the age difference of folks based off of their responses.

Pauly: Find a 18yr old kid, help him along. Thats great. Yea, we need more youngsters. Is it tough for them? No tougher than you, Rick, Kevin or myself. Actually, probably easier. Way more information, way more junior programs, way more CWA programs, and way better equipment. I had an old army jacket, rubber waders, garbage gloves, and a newspaper sack I carried decoys with. I lived on a 25 shell limit for the weekend. Why? Because I had to save lunch money all week to buy one box of shells.

I ran across a 15 yr old neighbor kid last year that wants to hunt. I've taken him, on my dime, 20 times the last two years.

But help the 18yr old you're talking about. One that you can really mentor and know. Helping him / her is way more than saying.....go there. Go there means everything today, nothing tomorrow. And what that kid does when he gets there who knows. I've helped kids at the check station, but a person isn't helping a 18yr old kid by coming on the net and spot burning for 100+ folks to see.

Along those lines, I'm looking for a kid (under 30 is a kid to me) that not only wants to learn, but learn to do it right. This is duck hunting, and unlike the little leagues, basketball programs, soccer programs I've seen while raising kids......not everyone gets a trophy just by showing up.

Yea Gaddy......I'm one of those guys from over there. Know why guys like Rick, Kevin and myself are here? To really help folks out. The Romper room crowd though, isn't looking for real help. LOL, you talk about folks over there crying yet you come over here and cry about that. I can tell, very easy, which person wants real help vs tell me where to go. I've worked in numerous programs with youngsters, calling clinics, dog training, shooting. Thats where the rubber meets the road. Go do your thing Gaddy. I won't be running into you I'm sure. But hey, you're in Vacaville so maybe so.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby Calikev » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:30 pm

PaulyQuackers wrote:I beg to differ, I hunt for things on my computer all the time. Some would rather go on an adventure to find what they're looking for, while some of us will search online, which is why I never call tech support for help, because the people you talk to are searching google for the answer. You could do it yourself and save a heck of a lot of time, or you could waste your time and ask someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. Honestly, you figured something out on your own, but you won't tell anyone about it? We wouldn't even have a light bulb if that kind of thinking was normal. Like it or not, this is the information age. There's more than one way to skin a cat, so they say.

As much as we want to make a predictable sport out of waterfowling it will NEVER prove to be so every day you go out. That is the beauty in it too. The challenge. The mystery. The learning by trial and error. Everyone wants to stack the odds in their favor and are deathly afraid they might blow it by making a bad decision. So what? It isn't life and death if you screw up and end up in a bad spot. Chalk it up to experience and do better next time. These are the lessons folks would teach their kids so why is it a bunch of grown up duck hunters can't figure this out. The joy comes in the struggle. If it were a slam dunk everytime what fun would that be? Seriously.

You can't kill ducks from GoogleEarth. That gives you starting points. You can match that information up with anything else you can gather online. Nothing wrong with that. Seeking out friends or other members who you can privately exchange with to get some information. It is up to them to determine at what level they want to release to you. Build more trust and next time you get more information. Then give back.

How many times do we see someone come on here begging for information and then gets it only to not share with the rest of the forum the information they got? Why is that? Because the guy that gave it to them kindly asked them to "keep it under their hat". They understood the basic principle of respect.

So why can't we understand that same principle under most circumstances here? Build a network of friends to help you scout places first hand. Use a computer for the basic stuff. In the end it still takes getting out there and learning. Feet on the ground. No matter how much this generation wants to make waterfowling predictable it will never be that. It is constantly changing and that is why it should be so rewarding to build a resume of success on your own.

Most importantly keep things general on the open forum as a gift to the rest of the forum members.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:06 pm

gaddy wrote:What hard work? You put in for a draw, with a computer, and hope you get drawn. I dont call that hardwork. Or drop 1500 bucks to shoot a duck in a rice blind. Either way someone had to help you along the way. Chill out phil robertson. As soon as i draw ldc im going to spot burn the hell out of it :lol3: :lol3: :hammer: :help:

Like I said, Clueless is as Clueless does. You keep running your mouth and you sound more and more like a self-centered, entitled punk who has no idea what real hunting is about.
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby Waterfowler7 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:23 pm

My buddy and I had a good shoot this weekend and when we get back to the check station, 3 different groups of guys come up to us and ask if we were out of lot x and if we hunted x pond. We went along with it all 3 times to not give up our free roam spot, but after hearing all 3 groups ask us if we were in the same pond, we look at each other and go "looks like we found a new spot to check out". Why would they give up a good pond by asking us if that's where we came from? Makes no sense to me.
Lock em "n" Rock em
Waterfowler7
hunter

Postby rm85 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:30 pm

I tell all sorts of people where i hunt. If they go out there ill go bout 200yds away an steal all their birds with a call jst because sum1 else hunts where u hunt doesnt mean they hunt the same way there for they wont have tje same success
rm85
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:51 pm

rm85 wrote:I tell all sorts of people where i hunt. If they go out there ill go bout 200yds away an steal all their birds with a call jst because sum1 else hunts where u hunt doesnt mean they hunt the same way there for they wont have tje same success

Note to self:

"Dont hunt near rm85. Won't get birds." :wink:
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:01 pm

DuckFan wrote:
rm85 wrote:I tell all sorts of people where i hunt. If they go out there ill go bout 200yds away an steal all their birds with a call jst because sum1 else hunts where u hunt doesnt mean they hunt the same way there for they wont have tje same success

Note to self:

"Dont hunt near rm85. Won't get birds." :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :no: :no:
Take a kid hunting, the memories will last a lifetime.
duxnbass
hunter

Postby rm85 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:34 am

Ill take u cry babies out hunting to my honey holes an u guys can go bak out there an ill guarantee ill shoot more than u do i have no problem giving people info. Let me know when ud like to go. Fyi your paying gas an launch lol
rm85
hunter

Postby 34 grains of Herco » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:13 am

and this is EXACTLY why I hunt in the rice :thumbsup:
34 grains of Herco
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:45 am

rm85 wrote:Ill take u cry babies out hunting to my honey holes an u guys can go bak out there an ill guarantee ill shoot more than u do i have no problem giving people info. Let me know when ud like to go. Fyi your paying gas an launch lol

Should be a guide. Is that you.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:56 am

rm85 wrote:Ill take u cry babies out hunting to my honey holes an u guys can go bak out there an ill guarantee ill shoot more than u do i have no problem giving people info. Let me know when ud like to go. Fyi your paying gas an launch lol

You're the raddest guy I know and I've never met you!

Could I take some grammar and typing lessons from you too? You seem to have those dialed in as well.
:thumbsup:

Please just let me know where you are hunting so I don't set up next to you. I don't want you pulling all my birds. :beer:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:29 am

Note to self:

The guy screaming on that call every two seconds going to the plug 200 yards North I now know is rm85.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:56 am

I enjoyed reading replys from those seasoned, reasonable & mature guys...who know who they are...

Keep it up guys :thumbsup:
...the trolls will fall away as they always do
...and the guys who want to learn need to learn from you
...even if they are only internet scouts
...for now
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby Silver Wings » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:19 am

Yes, thanks to Kevin, Scott and Rick for taking the time to bang out those reasoned and well thought out posts. Definitely the voices of experience and the vast majority of people who'll read them will completely "get it". As for Gaddy, I wouldn't be too hard on him. I don't think any of us would want to be held accountable for views we held while we were in middle school. Gaddy, do yourself a favor and print this thread out and stow it away, take it out in 5 years and read it. It will be a good "life lesson" in when to be quite and listen and when to run your mouth. By then you will have your drivers license and you'll be able to get around to many more refuges and it will become painfully obvious that what the grown ups here are saying is true!
Silver Wings
hunter

Postby nut4duck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:24 am

blackdog58 wrote:
Know why guys like Rick, Kevin and myself are here? To really help folks out. I've worked in numerous programs with youngsters, calling clinics, dog training, shooting. Thats where the rubber meets the road. Go do your thing Gaddy. I won't be running into you I'm sure. But hey, you're in Vacaville so maybe so.

Brag about hunts or bragging about what you do for the sport.. it all sounds like chest pounding to me.. :rolleyes:
nut4duck
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:33 am

I must say how come you didn't include Mallards Only, the Michelle Malkin of the duck forums in your cadre of a little back slapping post? He was full of it(advice) as well. I will say Rick is about the most honest and respectful in his opinions and advice...follow suit and we well all be better for it, myself included. Although I am too prone to having and making fun to take any of it or myself too seriously.

Trouble with some of you folks is your condescending attitude and holier than thou tone which accompanies what is sometimes very good advice. As someone said in another post it's time for you to "own it" and do with it what you expect others to do as well...suck it up admit it and adjust accordingly. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By the way people can and will do whatever they please...so being so demanding and peppering him with insults probably isn't the best tactic.

FYI I just bought a gun that can shoot 3 1/2" shells and the guy gave me four boxes along with the purchase. I have shot a few of them at Geese..and I kind of liked the result. But let me ask those who sit at the pulpit this..why do you shoot a 12 gauge? I have shot a 20 gauge for a season or two and bought two flats of 20 gauge shells this year so my daughter can share the same ammo as me when I take her on her first duck hunt ever this season. Get the same message here back as your selling?
Last edited by marsh-mello on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby coachbob » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:59 am

I think I am lucky that I don't know about 'the other site'. This is the only forum I know about and visit. Unlike many of you 'Techno-geeks", I am a techno-nothing so finding this site was a fluke. I am also a 'fuge hunter, who very seldom hunts FR and will go Blind waiting rather than fight the crowds and the drama of FR. I have no trouble answering questions about Blind sites and AP's at my chosen "home" NVR and have one spot in FR that I will hunt because it is away from the crowds and most of the time the ducks, but I get a few. I also put in for other refuges and when I get a draw to a new one, I appreciate the info I get from true hunters. I used to love to hunt the Lodge until it stopped being a wildlife area and started being a Zoo!!

I have shot more ducks in my 50+ years of hunting than any one person needs so big straps mean nothing. I hunt for the experience of watching the birds, watching the dog, enjoying the amazing sunrises and other sights and sounds of the early morning marsh. I sometimes think the only reason I still kill birds is so the dog won't hate me. If I can share, I will. And I hope someone who knows other areas will reciprocate and help a visitor out.

I asked under another post about Blind Averages being posted at Yolo since my partner got a number 1 ressie there. We have never hunted there and someone let me know that they are posted. I know you can't strictly go by the posting, but it gives us a start. That info is appreciated and we will hope we pick the right one, but it will be a learning experience regardless. I am looking forward to a new refuge.

If the only thing you think about is killing ducks, then you will NEVER truly enjoy the hunting EXPERIENCE!! Chillax and learn to take in the entire atmosphere. The best thing I have ever received from duck hunting is my partner. 9 years ago we were waiting in the parking lot for Blind waiting and we were the last two. A good blind came in, I asked if he wanted to join me, he did and now we are great friends who hunt together all the time. This friendship is worth a million heavy duck straps!!!

There is an old saying.(and I am old so I know it). You can't see the Forest for the Trees. If you 'can't see the Marsh for the Ducks', then you are missing most of the experience. Just my .02 :wink:
coachbob
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:08 am

"...who know who they are..."

And boy do they... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Well Ray, good to see you out and about. Hope all is well. If your 3.5 comment was at me, only brought it up as it was in that guys signature line and just asked why. If someone wants to use 3.5, well, its their money and shoulder.

Nut: Called establishing creditbility for the conversation. If I were the bragging type, I could do better than that.

Y'all have a good second half.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Sadly, I've seen more people give up duck hunting, than I've ever seen taking up the sport. Having helped several youngsters get into duck hunting, none stayed with it, and I'm not sure why. Most of my family retired early from the sport because they were sick of the die hards acting like they owned the place. I"v seen more cheating in my day than I care to admit, and you don't need a computer to do it. If a computer can help someone get in touch with a good person who is interested in hunting, I only see it as a positive thing, because there really aren't many duck hunters left, and without hunters, this sport is over.
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby rm85 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:04 pm

I am a guide just so you all know an im a ratty guide because i help out new hunters with info yep thats it. Just remember to bak n the day when you were first starting out! A vetran duck hunter had to show you the ropes
rm85
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:06 pm

finsnfeathershunter wrote:
ditchbanker wrote:I enjoyed reading replys from those seasoned, reasonable & mature guys...who know who they are...

Keep it up guys :thumbsup:
...the trolls will fall away as they always do
...and the guys who want to learn need to learn from you
...even if they are only internet scouts
...for now

That include arguing with a doctor on the internet about health care on "the other site"?

You took his bait and all he threw was a #6 hook with 1 red egg on it. It was lazily suspended about 2 inches below the surface.

No flasher was needed.

Fair point... :thumbsup:

...although that particular troll actually titled a post calling me out
and I'm not always inclined to turn the other cheek
besides...I thought personal attacks were forbidden by the Mods?
'I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted and I wont be laid a-hand on...I dont do these things to other people and I require the same from them"...the Duke

:yes:

Next time just don't respond and let the other trolls bury themselves with responses.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:35 pm

besides...I thought personal attacks were forbidden by the Mods?

Maybe they figured you could handle it yourself and didn't need any help?
Mean Gene
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting