That other site

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Re: That other site

Postby ditchbanker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Mean Gene wrote:
besides...I thought personal attacks were forbidden by the Mods?

Maybe they figured you could handle it yourself and didn't need any help?

Okay...I had a slow day so it was entertaining :yes:
although I actually considered creating my own ignored list for a moment there :wink:
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:16 am

marsh-mello wrote:I must say how come you didn't include Mallards Only, the Michelle Malkin of the duck forums in your cadre of a little back slapping post? He was full of it(advice) as well. I will say Rick is about the most honest and respectful in his opinions and advice...follow suit and we well all be better for it, myself included. Although I am too prone to having and making fun to take any of it or myself too seriously.

Trouble with some of you folks is your condescending attitude and holier than thou tone which accompanies what is sometimes very good advice. As someone said in another post it's time for you to "own it" and do with it what you expect others to do as well...suck it up admit it and adjust accordingly. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By the way people can and will do whatever they please...so being so demanding and peppering him with insults probably isn't the best tactic.

FYI I just bought a gun that can shoot 3 1/2" shells and the guy gave me four boxes along with the purchase. I have shot a few of them at Geese..and I kind of liked the result. But let me ask those who sit at the pulpit this..why do you shoot a 12 gauge? I have shot a 20 gauge for a season or two and bought two flats of 20 gauge shells this year so my daughter can share the same ammo as me when I take her on her first duck hunt ever this season. Get the same message here back as your selling?

I wondered how long it would take for this tool to come out of the box.
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:27 am

marsh-mello wrote:I must say how come you didn't include Mallards Only, the Michelle Malkin of the duck forums

BTW, thanks for the compliment. :thumbsup:
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Jesus Christ. Who is acting holier than thou?

(I have no stake in this thread other than I always wanted to type that. :lol3: )
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:00 pm

slowshooter wrote:Jesus Christ. Who is acting holier than thou?
(I have no stake in this thread other than I always wanted to type that. :lol3: )

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

gotta clean the coffee off the screen now
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Mallards Only wrote:
marsh-mello wrote:I must say how come you didn't include Mallards Only, the Michelle Malkin of the duck forums in your cadre of a little back slapping post? He was full of it(advice) as well. I will say Rick is about the most honest and respectful in his opinions and advice...follow suit and we well all be better for it, myself included. Although I am too prone to having and making fun to take any of it or myself too seriously.

Trouble with some of you folks is your condescending attitude and holier than thou tone which accompanies what is sometimes very good advice. As someone said in another post it's time for you to "own it" and do with it what you expect others to do as well...suck it up admit it and adjust accordingly. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By the way people can and will do whatever they please...so being so demanding and peppering him with insults probably isn't the best tactic.

FYI I just bought a gun that can shoot 3 1/2" shells and the guy gave me four boxes along with the purchase. I have shot a few of them at Geese..and I kind of liked the result. But let me ask those who sit at the pulpit this..why do you shoot a 12 gauge? I have shot a 20 gauge for a season or two and bought two flats of 20 gauge shells this year so my daughter can share the same ammo as me when I take her on her first duck hunt ever this season. Get the same message here back as your selling?

I wondered how long it would take for this tool to come out of the box.

The boomerang factor is strong with this one. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

By the way I'm the hammer(tool as you say) and your the nail so do as your told and sit still while I try to hit you on the head again with some sense.
Last edited by marsh-mello on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Mallards Only wrote:
marsh-mello wrote:I must say how come you didn't include Mallards Only, the Michelle Malkin of the duck forums

BTW, thanks for the compliment. :thumbsup:

Only one person in the whole world would think this was a compliment....and it isn't Michelle. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:28 pm

rm85 wrote:I am a guide just so you all know an im a ratty guide because i help out new hunters with info yep thats it. Just remember to bak n the day when you were first starting out! A vetran duck hunter had to show you the ropes

Yes, I was very fortunate to have my dad, (who was a veteran ...and a veteran hunter) show me 'the ropes'. :thumbsup:

And, I am all for helping new guys out. I love getting new people involved and helping them.

You make my point, actually. Help them out. I agree. Do it by talking to them face-to-face, via phone call, or via PM. I do it all the time. I love sharing my 50 years of experience in a 'personal' way.

But to post up specific detail on the internet doesn't seem to fit for me, If they contact me privately, I have helped everyone that has asked. And that has been since 2000 - when I first started on these various forums. And yes, I have shared very detailed information that way.

Doesn't make me elite, nor do I feel that because I have hunted so long that I am any different than the next guy. We all love to hunt ducks. Saying specifics about a public land hunt on an open public forum gives information to anyone. Those I would hunt with if given a chance, but also others that may not share my same views as I do on hunting.

I believe I hold myself to a very high standard of following hunting rules and regulations (even when I don’t agree), don't crowd others that beat me to a pond, take ethical shots that are clearly makeable, etc. Not everyone that can turn on a computer is like that. We have many that crowds into ponds. We all complain about those shooting high and crippling birds - and even stories of watching them not attempt a retrieve on a long sailed bird.

Because of that - for ME - I chose to share everything I know with those I can speak to on the phone, via PM or meet face-to-face.

And, I will continue to share general knowledge and basics on areas, phone numbers, and season details, how ressie and lotteries work, what you can expect when you get to a check station (which are vastly different from Wister to Sac and beyond).

I love these forums and love to share our love for the sport. And, for specific details, I will be happy to answer via the methods I described.

Seems fair to ME.

Your results may vary..............

Good Luck and best wishes for your guide service. Today was my first 'skunk' of the season. Never shouldered my gun. 6 hours of watching blue sky. But....I will be after them again this weekend. God, I love this sport. :grooving:

And, with that...I am done with this thread. Cheers :beer:
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby das mudhen » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Every forum is the 'other' forum....

das mudhen
"Lighten up Francis"

Sgt. Hulka
das mudhen
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:25 pm

nut4duck wrote:
blackdog58 wrote:
Know why guys like Rick, Kevin and myself are here? To really help folks out. I've worked in numerous programs with youngsters, calling clinics, dog training, shooting. Thats where the rubber meets the road. Go do your thing Gaddy. I won't be running into you I'm sure. But hey, you're in Vacaville so maybe so.

Brag about hunts or bragging about what you do for the sport.. it all sounds like chest pounding to me.. :rolleyes:

:lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks every time black dog post he acts like he was center table at the last supper!

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:25 am

blackdog58 wrote:
No one can control what people write on these forums.

These forums are not for blabbing. They are to share experiences, educate, make new friends, and hopefully get more folks into helping the resource.

Really says who? I must have forgot to read what the forums were for somewhere along the line...thanks for reminding us all. :huh: Don't you think that doing all that other noble stuff is what takes place when folks are "blabbing"?

"Thou shalt not blab"...Sounds more like it could be the 11th commandment...how could we have missed it? :no: :rolleyes:

I will say I did like CaliKevs response as well as Ricks...he has come along way and deserves some props... :thumbsup: :thumbsup

Holier than thou? My "God" that's right...Biaz I am shocked at you, after all being an Apostle yourself maybe being that close to such a bright burning light has blinded you just a bit?
Last edited by marsh-mello on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:38 am

gaddy wrote:I like it when I hear people saying go scout it out. I live in vacaville I cant exactly go scout out dakin unit when I was drawn years ago. And when I called the number on the website I was told no scouting allowed. Heaven forbid I ask someone for help.

I don't believe there are too many people actually scouting refuge areas, since most of them don't allow it during non hunting days, anyway. I've seen more than my fair share of people stalking me when the gettin was good, and ruining a good hunt, because what some people deem as scouting is actually rather intrusive, where they sit and watch exactly where the shooting is, and look at what you're doing to bring the bird in close enough to shoot them. It takes no brains, and it's not that difficult to watch were the ducks are being shot, then be there before anyone else is there the next time. This is why they don't have any free roaming areas for duck hunting at any of the good refuges where I'm from, and don't understand why they do it this way in California. I always had to pick a spot in a draw to go duck hunting. It's not that difficult to take any old blind somewhere, and just watch what everyone else is doing, so I'm not sure I get the go and figure everything out on your own, so you can be proud you did all the grunt work yourself mentality, because I'm not the kind of guy who walks around an area where people are hunting, and I've been to too many places that looked good, but are useless.

What some of you fail to realize, is that when someone comes on here and spotburns as you say, you are the only one who knows the truth to it. I know nothing about hunting in California, other than what I've read on the net, and I have no idea if any of the personal experiences are worth exploring. I doubt anyone would suddenly take up duck hunting because they read a post about an area that shot a lot of duck. I know how frustrating it is when someone is on to what you thought was privileged information, and you find you're having to share your spot with a bunch of strangers, but that is the problem with free roam, its a free for all. If you take a blind, you don't have to worry about all that.

This might be off topic, but once I was told by the area manager on opening day that this one spot had lots of water, because you can see a pond on the map, but when I got there, there was no pond, and we searched all morning until we gave up and went home. So unless you already know the spot, the information I'm seeing on here is just barely giving me a clue when and where to hunt, because I haven't been there, and if I had, I wouldn't even need to look on the internet.
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:34 am

marsh-mello wrote:"Thou shalt not blab"...Sounds more like it could be the 11th commandment...

It's in there already...
"Thou shat not covet thy neighbors wife, or hunting spot."
It was long so Moses carved it around the side and onto the back but nobody cared to turn the damn stone over recently
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:01 am

Well Ray, you never change. Excuse me now as this thread is done and I need to return the center of my table. I like my table, the candles burn bright.

So long.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:36 am

blackdog58 wrote:Well Ray, you never change. Excuse me now as this thread is done and I need to return the center of my table. I like my table, the candles burn bright.

So long.

You're not excused and It's probably good I haven't changed, but it might be good if you did just a bit. Like you said yourself before to someone else OWN IT, think about it, go back and read how you come across. If you can stand outside yourself long enough to do so objectively you might see the samething. Just because you get backing and support at times from some of the Apostles doesn't make the condescending childish name calling ad hominem attacks right. I honestly think your smarter and better than this, so prove me right. Some folks are terminal, I do not think you are, I think more of you then you might think I do. I'm not perfect either and I admitted I could at times use the same advice I am dispensing to you. How hard is it really to admit that and try to be a better person for it..."hell" you don't need a twelve step program or "divine" intervention to just stop and think sometimes and come to a sound conclusion do you. Though it is harder I will admit if you feel you're the only one with "God's" phone number. You may not feel that way but it is the way you come across "sometimes".

I actually liked CaliKevs post and Ricks and gave props to both for the good advice...that should be enough for you to think twice as I see good manners and good advice when they are BOTH there. More effective too I might add. The rest of the folks trying to attain the same lofty goal would be better off and more effective if they didn't call childish names while calling someone else a child you think? All this while coming off as......well you got that point and just not from me. In addition you're not the most egregious offender by any means.

Many people also chimed in regarding helping folks and offered their perspectives which are valid and have merit. These forums can provide many different services and not just the narrow ones one might think themselves. How's that for the mornings "blabbing"?

Good luck and good hunting! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:28 pm

blackdog58 wrote:Well Ray, you never change. Excuse me now as this thread is done and I need to return the center of my table. I like my table, the candles burn bright.

So long.

I like lamp!

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby nut4duck » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:34 pm

blackdog58 wrote:Nut: Called establishing creditbility for the conversation.

Might as well post your "Established Credibility " in your sig line..so it is there for all to see and you won't have to keep retyping it when you have a conversation.. kind of like the guys that list their kill totals .. :rolleyes: Just sayin..
nut4duck
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Whatever Ray. My family loves me, my friends like me. I'm happy with myself. Other than that, your opinions mean nothing either way.

Have a great day.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:26 pm

blackdog58 wrote:Whatever Ray. My family loves me, my friends like me. I'm happy with myself. Other than that, your opinions mean nothing either way.

Have a great day.

Whatever is right, another missed opportunity.

I thought you were done?

Keep on keeping on then, it's not just my opinion in case you are having trouble reading? By the way perhaps you misspoke and meant to say "worship" rather than love or like or happy, your so modest ....(J/K) If my opinions truly meant nothing you'd be done instead of coming back and making excuses and "own it." That's what happens when you get uncomfortably close to the truth try and find a way to be dismissive so you don't have to face it squarely. The seed has been planted...much like the analogy of the biblical mustard seed. It's issues such as these which get to the core of who we really are and where it often conflicts with reality and the myopic vision of oneself. Strive to positively reconcile the two instead of rationalizing and you'll be better for it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now have a great rest of your season, talk to you soon I'm sure.
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Done with thread subject Ray. I write a two line later and you come back with a two paragraph sermon like you're in a position to judge anything.

Only reason for this comeback, is you're treading dangerously close to talking about my family. Worship? No Ray, you were not just kidding. Just a way to keep this going. You're not excused from that. Just let it drop Ray.

Wing. Close this stupid thread.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:17 pm

blackdog58 wrote:Done with thread subject Ray. I write a two line later and you come back with a two paragraph sermon like you're in a position to judge anything.

Only reason for this comeback, is you're treading dangerously close to talking about my family. Worship? No Ray, you were not just kidding. Just a way to keep this going. You're not excused from that. Just let it drop Ray.

No YOU brought it up and YOU are keeping it going you are the one treading water here and in obvious danger of drowning with your feigned righteous indignation now attempting to defend the honor of your family. I can see through that ruse as can everyone else, get real. Just bite the bullet and stop wrestling with your demons. Your post is just more deflection and reflects the fact that you want other intervention to stop it clearly demonstrating you refuse to just do it yourself. Simply admitting your mistakes and moving on would have been the better action. Perhaps you should stop telling people what to do and how to act then altogether which at this juncture would be the non hypocritical thing to do?

BY the way I was kidding it was just an easy way to keep with the theme you have going here and you made it too easy.
Last edited by marsh-mello on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:25 pm

blackdog58 wrote:Done with thread subject Ray. I write a two line later and you come back with a two paragraph sermon like you're in a position to judge anything.

You're wasting your time with the hypocrite internet nanny. Don't you know it's not ok to voice your opinion unless it's the same as his? Good thing all the children have babysitter Ray to protect them. Or is it Big Sister? :sarcmark: I'm sure he's already well on his way with his PM campaign of lies in addition to the lectures. And yet, it's he who thinks some of the rest of us are holier than thou. :bow: Does your supervisor know you're once again spending all day on the internet on our dime? :fingerhead:
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Mallards Only wrote:

You're wasting your time with the hypocrite internet nanny. Don't you know it's not ok to voice your opinion unless it's the same as his? Good thing all the children have babysitter Ray to protect them. Or is it Big Sister? :sarcmark: I'm sure he's already well on his way with his PM campaign of lies in addition to the lectures. And yet, it's he who thinks some of the rest of us are holier than thou. :bow: Does your supervisor know you're once again spending all day on the internet on our dime? :fingerhead:

Wasn't I just mentioning some were terminal. I try to help where I can and know who I can't.

An opinion is one thing...calling people names and insulting people while your trying to dispense advice and make a point is another issue entirely. The real irony is I agree with the point and see its merit at the same time also applauding Rick and Kevin for expressing it in a manner which assures the respectful reading and possible understanding rather than the response by some others. See the difference? Is that really so hard to understand?

People do like train wrecks and falling asleep at the keyboard sometimes does look like the recent NY example.
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby Russell » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:51 pm

PaulyQuackers wrote:
gaddy wrote:I like it when I hear people saying go scout it out. I live in vacaville I cant exactly go scout out dakin unit when I was drawn years ago. And when I called the number on the website I was told no scouting allowed. Heaven forbid I ask someone for help.

I don't believe there are too many people actually scouting refuge areas, since most of them don't allow it during non hunting days, anyway.

Nope....not on shoot days. A few folks take the time, days at a time....to physically go look at the ponds during the summer while dry, see where habitat is best, new projects, unknown holes, etc. Figure things out waaaay in advance.

I always had to pick a spot in a draw to go duck hunting.

Glad that worked out for you personally. I do it that way myself at times. Some of us don't always want to do it that way 100% of the time. There are other people to consider. It's public land and options are a good thing.

What some of you fail to realize, is that when someone comes on here and spotburns as you say, you are the only one who knows the truth to it. I know nothing about hunting in California, other than what I've read on the net, and I have no idea if any of the personal experiences are worth exploring. I doubt anyone would suddenly take up duck hunting because they read a post about an area that shot a lot of duck. I know how frustrating it is when someone is on to what you thought was privileged information, and you find you're having to share your spot with a bunch of strangers, but that is the problem with free roam, its a free for all. If you take a blind, you don't have to worry about all that.

Spend some more time in California, spotburn your own hunt locations, blinds or not, then get back to us on how successful you are in hunting there again in peace or even accessing that area again within the same duck season.

"Look at Me" list: TBA October 2012...
Russell
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:49 am

PaulyQuackers wrote:I always had to pick a spot in a draw to go duck hunting.

gaddy wrote:Glad that worked out for you personally. I do it that way myself at times. Some of us don't always want to do it that way 100% of the time. There are other people to consider. It's public land and options are a good thing.

Entering a draw to go duck hunting doesn't work well some of the time, especially on opening day, where only about 10% of the people who show up actually get to hunt. Everyone has the same chance to get picked first and get a really good spot. But in Michigan, where I'm from, any public hunting area that isn't limited by 3 hunters per zone, holds almost no birds after day one. Most of the ducks get drawn to the managed areas that require you to enter a draw, because tens of thousands of ducks are feeding on the corn that they grow. For whatever reason, you have more than ample opportunity to hunt ducks and geese in California, where anyone can show up and do really well, on any given day.

It only stands to reason that a decent come one come all hunting area will get figured out and be subjected to ever increasing pressure, so you do whatever you can to keep it under your hat. I totally get that! I would be upset too, when all the people eventually figure it out my hot spots, but you can't prevent it. Free roam causes way more arguments and resentment than a draw only area ever do. Plus It's better for management, because they know exactly who is hunting at all times. No secrete who did what in specific zone. They stopped doing free roam in the areas I hunted, way before my time, because as my dad would tell me, it was getting completely out of control, until they created the draw. Once you shot a duck, a crowd would form around you, so a lot of people just gave it up.

It is way easier to get into duck hunting over there. The fees are much cheaper, and everything is much easier to understand. Over here, it is extremely expensive, and difficult to understand, especially since everyone goes ballistic when someone divulges what is supposed to be a well kept secret. If I ever learn a spot, God forbid I tell anyone about it.
PaulyQuackers
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting